CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Losing patience... Here comes the "for sale" sign..

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losing patience... Here comes the "for sale" sign..

Went out quadding in the mountains all day saturday with a bunch of people...

We had been riding some slow trails (big boulders, mud holes, lots of abstract rocks) and some high-speed roadish trails... Anyway... Charged up my battery before we left in the morning... As the day went on... I started getting clicks when trying to start...It started the next attempt... Then after a while it would not start at all... So we had to push-start it to start... Then we were riding a slow trail in the woods... My motor started to miss and sputter and eventually stall. The starter would barely click and the fan was struggling to turn... Got the tow-strap...

Here's my theory :

My charging system is fried somewhere. The repeated starting mixed in with the higher RPMs in the slow trails (higher draw on battery to fire both plugs) and the constant spinning of the fan in the slow-stuff caused my battery to get charged right down so that it doesn't even have the juice to fire my plugs....

Both fuses check out fine. I know it's either my rectifier or my stator. If it ends up being the stator...I'm putting her up for sale and I'll forget to mention the battery won't charge... I can get a rectifier for 135$ Canadian...although that's not cheap...it's better than like 600$ canadian for a new stator....

Any suggestions or opinions?

Thanks

Jeff

Old 10-13-2003, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

Sounds like you have a bad battery. A battery store or auto parts store should be able to put a load on it and check it for you.

Old 10-13-2003, 09:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

sounds like your regulator / rectifier went south

the same thing happened to my bike the missing and all.I put a new battery in and i will install a regulator later this week but i surely will not sell her for that.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Stators almost never go out (i know majoecho might argue that)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-13-2003, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

It could easily be the rectifier/regulator. Is this your stock battery?

Old 10-13-2003, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

I been having the same problem tyre so bear with me for a sec...

When my DS650 started doing the same thing about a half a year ago I bought a new voltage regulator thinking my problem would be solved. Well that didn't do $hit except cost me $100! My battery would slowly go dead from the draw of the ignition, stater, and when the lights on go dead in about 10 min... So after realizing the new regulator wasn't the problem I had come to the conclusion that my sator HAD TO BE SHOT, right? Well it's kinda a coincidence because I just got my stator back TODAY from being thoroughly tested AND IT TESTED GOOD!! SO now I'm in the same predicament myself.... It WILL NOT be your stator. so this is my next conclusion.. my voltage regulator is good and so is my stator, but there is still NO power going to the battery!! So the ONLY thing I can think of is one the WIRES from the stator plug to the voltage regulator is worn through or broke or something. I fing it hard to believe a wire would be broke or wore through so I'm not sure what I have left for options except checking the wires out good..... I don't see how a battery would be MY problem since it holds a charge from a battery charger and lasts a few days of use WITHOUT using the lights but I'm not sure what I can do except check out my wires from the stator plug to the regulator.... Don't waste your time by dicking with your stator because that wont be it. Check your regulator out and check your wires too.... Someone have any advice for my situation and Tyres? I appreciate it.

Old 10-13-2003, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

Yes,
there is a starter celinoid or howerver you spell it. that comes between the starter. Could that be the issue? I belive it goes right to the battery.
You SHOULD get a multi meter and test your system when its running. It should be about 14v. If it is then its not your charging system. I had the same issue and a dry cell fixed the issues.

Old 10-13-2003, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

Probably the battery. They fry after about a year or two in most cases.

Old 10-13-2003, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

Would the battery be the cause of my problem? it holds a charge fine when I don't use the lights but it slowly goes dead from being used by my starter, and ignition. I don't think a battery would be my problem unless it won't "accept" a charge from my stator for some odd reason.... It will charge fine on the battery charger.

Old 10-13-2003, 11:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Too many times people make the mistake of testing a charging system by just running the engine you will not get an acurate test if you don't turn the head light on!!!! put her at max amp draw and then see if your regulator keeps up[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-13-2003, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

No one is answering my questions though... My regulator is new and my battery still goes dead after a while without the lights. There is no power going to my battery and it just slowly goes dead.... faster of course with the lights on. and It wont go dead when it is not running and just sitting.. what to do??...

Quick Reply: Losing patience... Here comes the "for sale" sign..