CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

What is the best full pipe exhaust for the DS-650

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 03:12 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the best full pipe exhaust for the DS-650

Well ironrod i see you know well in pipes...
When you say "some have a problem with the rear caliper hiting the pipe"
what do you mean with some and why do they have this problem? i heard the jumping ruing them a bit
but if you say its the best performance pipe for my DS so ill go for it... i dont jump alot and if i jump i jump low and land on hard land...
and what you mean when you say finish is poor?
and what would be your choise? RWR?

Old 11-09-2003, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider

I think pipes should be finished in Stainless steel. However, there are only a few out there like that. Big Gin and Ron Wood Racing use steel that has an aluminum color ceramic coating on it. Ron Wood puts this on the out side, and Big Gun puts it on the inside and outside. Regardless, in high heat areas, the coating can burn and flake off exposing the steel pipe to rust. So, those you'll have to keep polished where the coating is worn off. Some say they have problems with the Ron Wood Racing pipe hitting the rear brake caliper when landing on jumps. I jump, and I've never had that problem, but those that do certainly aren't telling lies. Big Gun does not have this problem. Ron Wood Racing is by far (IMHO) the best performing pipe out there hands down. I run Ron Wood Racing and I had my pipe plated in Nikel so I wouldn't have to worry about the ceramic coating problem. Personally, I would wait another month or so until the LTE comes out. Randy is shipping me one as soon as they are done. If it works out, I'll be putting my old Ron Wood Racing nikel plated pipe on EBAY.

Old 11-09-2003, 04:22 PM
Range Rover

well i got the jumping idea... i dont jump alot and certainly not that high that the rear caliper could get to the pipe
ill wait more 30 days to LTE to come out and get some information about it and than make my final desicion
for now i prefer the RWR! thnx Ironrod

Old 11-09-2003, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

hellrider, if you want to go with stainless, but don't like the apparent problems with mbrp, i have the trinity pipe, and have good power gains, not sure how much, but it is definitely noticeably faster with the pipe, looks and sounds great. if i had to buy another pipe right now i would go with the trinity again, but if i could wait a month, i would certainly check out the lte. supposed to be stainless, very high performing, and within db level limits. graydon is another good pipe. not stainless, but a good performer

Old 11-09-2003, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: HellRider
well i got the jumping idea... i dont jump alot and certainly not that high that the rear caliper could get to the pipe
ill wait more 30 days to LTE to come out and get some information about it and than make my final desicion
for now i prefer the RWR! thnx Ironrod
You know those dual pipes are like in the 700$'s...

That's crazy for just an exhaust system unless you have serious noise restrictions...

Old 11-09-2003, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

Im sure the LTE for the DS will be at least as much as the LTE for the Raptor. It wont be cheap. But considering that most of us that have non-stainless steel exhaust systems go through one at least every 2-3 seasons, it would seem a good investment. But you are right, unless you have serious sound restrictions, like most of us sand riders do, then it would seem that the Trinity would be the next obvious choice. Also, remember that the LTE will NOT work with the airbox.

Old 11-09-2003, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

and thats y the mbrp is stayin on

Old 11-09-2003, 11:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Where preformance and durability is not an issue the mbrp is a great pipe [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-09-2003, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

The stock pipe is painted and Im sure its pretty rust resistant too - add an endcap and bingo!

Old 11-10-2003, 04:50 PM
Range Rover

well i run the original/stock airbox and air filter... i'll never change that... the condition here in Isr dont allow it
some of my friends lost thier engines cuz of K&N or other air boxes...
so if i run the stock air box the dual pipes wont work??
and stainless pipe is very very important i ride water alot ...
does the RWR and Trin stainless?
it seems like RWR and Trin only options i got cuz the dual is 700$ (ouch...)...

Quick Reply: What is the best full pipe exhaust for the DS-650