CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS650 EXHAUST TURNS RED...IS THIS RIGHT?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 01:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS650 EXHAUST TURNS RED...IS THIS RIGHT?

I know I was just having some fun[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img], I was in seattle all summer its nice there [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-16-2003, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BlackHawk: Thanks for teaching, "A Simpler Way to Jet - 101". I have a lot to learn. As I've told friends of mine, a white-collar guy doing blue-collar mans work. I need to learn how to wrench!

You wrote "Once you've got it off (I'm assuming the float bowl cover?), you need to either drill out the screws holding the bowl onto the carb. or use an impact wrench, or vice grips, or any of the other 20 different ways people have done it."

Can you tell me which screws you're talking about? Is the BSR42 the same as the HSR42? I've found diagrams for the HSR42 (a Harley model). I would like to know 100% the screws before I drill. I should buy the DS650 service manual on CD.

jiminok: Thanks for the links!

Old 11-16-2003, 04:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TheOz,

The reference was to removing the carburetor itself. Sorry I wasn't more clear, but here is the deal: from the factory, the four philips head screws which hold the float bowl on are 99% impossible to remove. I think everyone has tried using a philips head screwdriver at one point & just ruined the threads on the screw. I think I was able to somehow remove one with a screwdriver, but it was a waste of time. So the best thing to do is completely remove the carburetor from the ATV, then use whatever method you feel most comfortable with to remove those screws that hold the float bowl on. On my first DS, I used a dremel to cut large slots for a flat blade screwdriver - that worked but it took over an hour. On my 2003 Baja, I used a drill bit that was only slightly larger than 4mm and drilled the center of the head until it came off taking care not to drill into the carburetor at all. Once you have all four heads removes, the bowl comes off easy, then use pliars to take the remainder of the screw out very easily. This second method too me about ten minutes. Other guys swear by the vice grips & impact wrench method, but I don't have a small enough pair of vice grips nor do I own an impact - this made the drill option very appealing.