CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Little Sahara, OK Very Painful

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little Sahara, OK Very Painful

Well, I just got back from LS and I think I had the time of my life. I met jiminok, biggerisbetter, and scoobydfw. They were all great guys and that DS of Scooby's is amazingly fast. I lost very bad in a drag race to biggerisbetter, so I told him to come and we'll have a jump off contest. It is probably a good thing that he didn't. I had been jumping 75 to 85 feet consistantly all day friday and most of saturday trying to reach my goal of 100 feet. I finally made 98 on one jump and I thought that was good enough so I just decided to do easy stuff the rest of the day. The rest of this is what my friends told me, because I don't remember a thing from 3:30pm to 7:30pm on Saturday. I was jumping about 80 feet off of this dune, and on one of many jumps the wind caught me and turned me a little sideways in the air. No big deal right, it's a DS. When it hit the back wheel made the front left wheel slam into the sand like always, except the the sand was soft from the wind. The impact mark from the front wheel was a hole about 16 inches deep. The DS then catapolted me upside down to the next impact spot about 30 feet farther down the dune! It then tumbled a couple more times and it came to rest with me next to it at the bottom of the hill. I hit the jump in fourth gear wide open almost to the limiter, so when I hit something was going to break. The list goes a follows, I need new a-arms, cracked swingarm, bent sub frame, new headlight, footpegs, front plastic, and new grab bar. I was then delerious for about four hours because of the big knot on my head, even with wearing a helmet. All I can say is that I am glad I am alive and maybe someday I will be able to remember what happened so I won't do it again. I did have fun down there and am glad to put some faces to the names on the forum.

Justin

P.S. Any info on who to go with for A-arms and a swingarm would be appreciated.

Old 11-30-2003, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider

i'm really sorry to hear that happend, but am glad to hear ur ok,

and for the a-arms and swingarm i'd say go the the tbr kit that lowers the machine, for the new headlight i'd just get the 04, if ya need the part numbers let me know,grab bar i think prm has them for pretty cheap, and for footpegs you could upgrade to ims

Old 11-30-2003, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

I have a friend that does carbon fiber and I think I will make a cover for the stock headlight opening and just use the baja lights down low. The grab bar I have now is a prm and I know this because there is a perfect impression of half of it across my left shoulder blade. OUCH!! I was wondering if the tbr kit is as strong or stronger than the stock a-arms and swingarm, and also does it make the quad ride to low to handle woods and trail riding?

Thanks again

Justin

Old 11-30-2003, 10:16 PM
Elite Pro Rider

glad your alright.

Old 11-30-2003, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

I am sorry that you had to experience what you did but that was a very good explanation of what happened and it sounds like you lucked out on the injuries. I did something very similar on a old yz 490 in the dunes years ago and it scared me to the point that it was hard to quit shaking and ride back to the truck.98 feet on a quad and a ds of all things,that impressive.

Old 11-30-2003, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

Justin...does your mother know what you've done??? LOL! Okay guys...this dude was scaring me just watching but only cause he was so smooth that it looked easy and I was severly tempted to shift into 4th so I could fly too...NOT! No doubt about it I did not see a single quad out there getting the airtime BajaIowa was getting. Not only that but he's totally down to earth once he gets off the quad which I might add looks a little small with that bigsombich on it.

Good meeting you, Justin...from both me and the lil one.

Great time, good to be home...sore as hell...I'm old...OUT

Old 12-01-2003, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody get video of the monster jumps you were doing? It is cool seeing the DS get big Air.. Glad you are OK, I hope some forum members have the parts you need..

Old 12-01-2003, 08:28 AM
Pro Rider

No video, and they were just about to go back and get the camera and take a picture sitting underneath me at the top of the dune when I wrecked. They say that the wreck was good enough to make onto a video because the rebound was so far. Jiminok took some pictures and I will see if I can get them posted next weekend, but everyone else wouldn't take pictures because the natives would run away screaming when they saw me flying because they thought it was a giant monster from outerspace[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. Thanks again everyone.

Justin

Old 12-01-2003, 10:53 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

JUstin,

Sorry to hear about your accident man. I'm glad to see you are well enough to tell the story. when I went back to camp the BUZZ around camp was that thier was this "DUDE" getting SICK air on a BAJA!!

I was kicking myself for not following you out to the dunes[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] but... thier was Rappy's that needed punishing[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Have a speedy recovery,and come on out agian soon!

BIgger.

Old 12-01-2003, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

Well here's a start for your winter project

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=43981

Guess its going to be a while before we have a chance to ride together now. Glad to hear your ok. After hearing what you did I dont feel so bad wrecking mine. I cought the back bar doin some wheelies and cought one side of the bar and it actually spun the quad, spun me off the other direction and somehow endo-ed and landed on its face, broke the headlight and that was about it though.

Quick Reply: Little Sahara, OK Very Painful