CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Vortex vs Graydon CDI

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 01:32 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortex vs Graydon CDI

I now have a graydon CDI that I got when my DS was new, in 01. I have heard a lot about the vortex CDI and was wndering who is using it and how does it work with the stage two on alky. Do you get a diagram of the different curves with it, and what curves do you use and what are the results, dyno, power at diffferent rpm's, etc. My final question, is it worth it to change from the graydon to the vortex.

Old 12-12-2003, 08:47 AM
Pro Rider

There are no dyno charts from the factory. You do get a written, brief explaination of the power curves, or just search here on ATV connection. Most of the "performance" maps in all of these CDIs are pretty much the same. After having a RWR CDI for years, I can tell you I was tired of all the power only found at the high RPM band. The big difference with the Vortex, is that you can switch to bring the power down (traction curves) to the lower RPM bands thus increasing torque. Advatages from this curve are also had when running exotic fuels at the high RPM level with a low RPM power (traction curve) switched on.

This is what I got from the other threads...

================ power curves==================

1) Performance Maps (where the power curve really comes on at higher RPM)
There are 2 Performance maps (Rev limits set at 8,900 and 8,350 rpms) Position 1 & 7.

2) Traction Maps (where the power curve really comes on at low RPM - good for trail riding - high torque needs)
There are 3 traction maps (Rev limits set at 8,350) Position 2, 3 4.

3) Linear Power (where the power is evenly distributed throughout the RPM range)
There are 2 linear maps (Rev limits set at 8,350) Position 5 & 6.

4) Standard Map (like the stock map)
There are 3 standard maps (Rev limits set at 8100, 8400 & 8600 rpms) Position 8, 9 and 0

The map on the performance switch 'A' on the handle bar is fixed at curve 1 = Performance map at 8900 RPM. The Traction switch 'B' is any curve you have selected on the CDI.

Clear as mud?

Old 12-12-2003, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

wats the best place to get the vortex?

Old 12-12-2003, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

ya but that guys not a big fan of us canadians [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-12-2003, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

How much differance is there between the curvs? Is it noticable? Well, I mean is it worth having different curvs?

Old 12-12-2003, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

The difference between the traction curve and the performance curve is very noticiable. If you flip the switch going 45MPH you hear and feel the difference. The torque improvement is huge on the bottom end. Nice smooth idle for all curves and a good performance curve.

Old 12-12-2003, 11:41 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the info ironrod, what are the best curves that you use for performance and traction. I'm assuming #1 for performance hints the higher rev limiter, but what about traction, 2,3,or4? Do you any of the linear curves?

Old 12-13-2003, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider

I mostly use performance 1 and traction 2. I haven't explored much of the Linear curves.

Old 12-13-2003, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: lilnotts
ya but that guys not a big fan of us canadians [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Not a fan of Canadians? Gimme a break littlenuts. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-13-2003, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ironrod
Originally posted by: lilnotts
Not a fan of Canadians? Gimme a break littlenuts. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
ooo so thats how its gunna b eh? don't make me get my polar bear after ya [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

and still nobody has answered my question

Quick Reply: Vortex vs Graydon CDI