CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Accel. pump best no to squirt onto the needle?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 02:19 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accel. pump best no to squirt onto the needle?

I'm still tuning the accel. pump on my TM 45 and have heard conflicting viewpoints as to aiming the squirt to hit the needle directly or to aim the squirt slightly to the right of the needle for a straight shot of fuel down the intake manifold. Reasons for hitting the needle have been said to break up the squirt for better atomization and reasons for aiming it to the right of the needle have been said that the incoming air will atomize it anyway and that if already broken up by hitting the needle there will not be enough raw fuel to realize the benefits of the squirt in the first place. I talked to Ron Wood today and he told me to definitely and absolutely aim the squirt to the right (about 1/4 inch) of the needle. Then I called my local Harley Davidson dealer's service dept. because this is the carb used in the Screaming Eagle kit and he asked the tech and told me the exact same thing. Then I called Sudco to confirm both previous party's statements but they are out 'till Jan. 5. The reason I am posting is because I recall posts here on the connection saying to aim the squirt directly at the needle. What do y'all think?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 12-26-2003, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hillbilly, I'm still trying to get my tm48 dialed in.. Hightower has his set to hit the needle, and his runs excellent all the way through the power band..Mine hits the needle, but still has the flat spot when cracking the throttle..Try it both ways and see what you come up with? I think I will try mine, not hitting the needle ans see if it helps

Old 12-26-2003, 02:37 PM
Range Rover

What main, pilot, needle and clip position are you using? What bore (displacement) do you have? My 720 seems to like a 140 main with the 97 (leanest) needle in the top clip with a 35 pilot. Seems like the big bores want a leaner setup, my stage II ran best with a 145 main and 97 needle clip 2.

Old 12-26-2003, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

When I had the 45 I aimed it at the needle because it would stumble real bad if it wasn't aimed at the needle. I now run the dual 39's and the pump is aimed to the right. And you can not turn it. My guess is that it is suposed to be aimed to the right. BUT as ALWAYS you should tune to what works best ofr your quad.

Old 12-26-2003, 03:51 PM
Range Rover

Well fellas, just got back from the garage playing with both setups and I can say without reservation that the bike responds and performs 100% better with the squirt turned to the right of the needle. I have my squirt adjusted so it is only a short burst and it would probably be worse with it turned to the right (too much fuel) if I had a longer squirt duration but this setup is just sick, damn happy with the outcome of the adjustment. So the theory seems to be the longer the squirt duration, the happier it is hitting the needle and the shorter the duration, the better it performs squirting to the right of the needle. Definitely worth playing around with tuning this aspect of the TM 45.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]