CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Alky set too rich?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 08:42 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alky set too rich?

I am trying to get my TM45 tuned for alky and was running hot with the 285 main. I went to the 295, then 300 and 310 adn then 320, and my full throttle temps never dropped, but it did start smoking a lot. It smoked a little with the 285 when coming off idle, but after that it stopped. Now, it smokes all through the way to full, especialy when I'm at a constant rpm and then give it some fuel. I jsut did an oil change and noticed the oil to slightly milky. Is it possible for it to smoke a lot if I am toooo rich, or should I look into other things such as the rings. I am plannig to do a leak down test this weekend to hopefully rule that out. Also has anyone had temps stay the same going that far up an the main, I was thinking they would drop, but they are still about 1350 at full throttle. Could my EGT probe be too close throwing off my readings.

Old 12-27-2003, 07:06 PM
Range Rover

Well I just droped my main from 320 to a 300 and the smoking almost quit. I still get a little puff what starting from idle but that is probably from the pilot since it is drilled to .062in. My egt temps also dropped, I guess there was still fuel burning in the exhaust causing the temps to increase. What jetting are all of you using that have similar mods done. I want to try to get my jetting spot on before I get it dynoed, so it will be easier to adjust with fewer runs.

Old 12-27-2003, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

I'm running a 280 at 750 ft above sea level.

Old 12-27-2003, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider
THEBOM Racing. If it don't scare you a little, it's not going fast enough !!!

Did you open up your fuel valve? That could be the reason it don't change temp on the top end. Its useing the fuel valve for a main jet, sucking the bowl almost empty.

Old 12-27-2003, 07:56 PM
Range Rover

I drilled my petcock out to 1/4in in both the on and res tubes, drilled the blue plastic to 1/4in and the brass tube to 1/4in. I also used a small grinding wheel on a dremel and notched the turn valve so that the on and res come on at the same time, the arrow points 180deg from off. Is there something in the carb that needs to be opened up, I have the larger needle and seat on it already.

Old 12-27-2003, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Jerfinds
I drilled my petcock out to 1/4in in both the on and res tubes, drilled the blue plastic to 1/4in and the brass tube to 1/4in. I also used a small grinding wheel on a dremel and notched the turn valve so that the on and res come on at the same time, the arrow points 180deg from off. Is there something in the carb that needs to be opened up, I have the larger needle and seat on it already.
This sounds good.

I don't under stand how it would run that hot and it running that rich.Check and make sure you don't have any vacum leaks aroumd the intake ( o-rings ) or hose clamps.

Old 12-27-2003, 08:47 PM
Range Rover

To do this all I have to do is spray some WD-40 around the intake and boots and see if the engine changes rpm. Is this right, what do you do.

Old 12-27-2003, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

I usually just pull it off. Its only 3 screws and a couple of hose clamps. This way you know for sure. I've seen the o-ring srunk up before and I've seen them swelled up too. Better safe than sorry.

Old 12-27-2003, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

The probe might be a tad close to the piston, valve area.

DuneDevil

Old 12-27-2003, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

how much top end lube are you running

Quick Reply: Alky set too rich?