CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Questions about switching to alchohol / methenol

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about switching to alchohol / methenol

bump!

Old 01-16-2004, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider

Use a top end lube. I use a little benoil by klotz. They make a uplon topend lube. It has to mix with alky. Keeps everything lubed up. I still havent checked on jet size.

Old 01-16-2004, 01:20 PM
Trailblazer

MrMeaner,
What ratio do you mix the alkie and oil at?

Old 01-17-2004, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider

It depends on the brand. The bottle will have directions on the back. Uplon by Klotz is made for a 4stroke and Ive also used Redline and some from a race car shop. The Benoil is for 2 strokes and some say not to use it. Others have used it for years. I run about a cap to a tank of alky. I think the best idea is to get the 4stroke type. Then you cant go wrong

Old 01-17-2004, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider

Can anyone tell me what type of increase they would see using alky vs. pump gas? I appreciate all the info everyone has, but im still not certain if its worth the extra wear and tear for the ponies. If im running about 50 hp now with a stage 2 1/2, are we talking the 15 - 20% increase like I have heard, or are these percentages a myth? Ive heard some say up to 30%. This sounds a little over exagerated. Although, I do like the idea of a cooler running motor.

Thanks again,
Gary

Old 01-17-2004, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider
THEBOM Racing. If it don't scare you a little, it's not going fast enough !!!

Originally posted by: DStroyer
Can anyone tell me what type of increase they would see using alky vs. pump gas? I appreciate all the info everyone has, but im still not certain if its worth the extra wear and tear for the ponies. If im running about 50 hp now with a stage 2 1/2, are we talking the 15 - 20% increase like I have heard, or are these percentages a myth? Ive heard some say up to 30%. This sounds a little over exagerated. Although, I do like the idea of a cooler running motor.Thanks again,Gary
You will average 12% hp with alky.

Old 02-27-2004, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the website name for the ron woods alky kit? Thanks

Old 02-27-2004, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Email the guy that posted before you [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-28-2004, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

I really like woods racing but the alky kit is a real joke!!! I wasted my money on it. Note to anyone putting there bike on alchohol, your bike can only take in as much fuel as you give it. If you put in the richest jets and needles in your motor woods sends you its still too lean and your fuel is bottle necked in the needle tube. Take a stock, jet any size drill it out as big as it will go without losing the threads. do the same thing on the pilot. put the main back in to the needle tube with needle tube out of carburator, then match needle tube size to your main jet size. I found this to be the way my bike ran the best. I dont believe that a 4 stroke works like a 2 stroke as far as leaning it out to find more power. This is safe, so that you know your not to lean and efective. It is probably a little rich but i bet your bike will run better this way rather than starving it for fuel. I would be willing to bet that you could go to your local harley dealer (because alot of harleys run the tm45) and they have the richer needles and jets that woods racing sells you at a fraction of the cost. Pick up a few mains and pilots, drill out the jets, lower your needle down to lowest setting (because you are feeding much more fuel) and i bet you will be happy with the results. You can also drill out your stock pet **** and remove those sorry little tubes that restrict fuel flow so bad and gain flow. Just be sure to strain your fuel as you put it in your tank. Take it as you want to guys it just something cheap to try, it worked for me and several other ds owners that had some of the fastest ds's ive seen to date. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Also be sure to check your oil you can get to rich to wear your bike cant burn near the fuel your putting in it, it will go past rings in to motor oil. Oil will turn really milky white. This happenes mostly at idle, when your full throttle you will burn more fuel. you can lean out pilot and main jet in small incriments to find the sweet spot. Hope i helped everyone, not everyone will agree, But oh well i dont really care Its just my opinion anyway[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-28-2004, 02:03 AM
Pro Rider

I called Woods racing and the older kits like I had the mains were to small. He sent me the new larger ones. If you drill your main out be careful not to get it too thin. When you tighten it you can snap it off. I did that and was a little upset. Also you can get it too rich like he said and your oil will get milky. I run a 305 i believe and no pilot. I could never get the thing right until I took the pilot out. (thanks Quadman) I love alcohol and will never change back

Quick Reply: Questions about switching to alchohol / methenol