CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Questions about switching to alchohol / methenol

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about switching to alchohol / methenol

Im in the process of getting my winter project underway. This being getting the 720 TVI kit, along with a 14:1 piston and full race head. Possibly dual 39's, but im not sure its worth the money yet. Im currently running a stage2 with head porting. Im interested in switching to alky, but I have tons of questions and no answers. First, what increase would you see with this setup as far as hp and torque go? Second, do you need to run pump gas thru the system after each ride to wash out the alky? Do you need some sort of fuel injection system, or is the standard Tm carb or duals enough? I guess my main concern would be, is there enough hp increase to justify putting the extra strain and wear on the motor? Any input on this would be great, im hoping to get my head and cylinder off to Gary here in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks and happy friggen new year,

DStroyer

Old 01-06-2004, 02:33 AM
Pro Rider

You can try it first and see if you like it. Just buy some alky/methanol, Take off your carb, remove your pilot jet and your main jet and let her rip. Ive been running alky for about a year and I dont run gas through it when Im done unless its going to be sitting for a long time. I just turn the pittcock off and let it die. Ive checked the carb and its fine. Id run a little top end lube in the alcohol. Klotz makes it or I know guys who put a little BeNoil in it. Alky is corrosive and this keeps everything lubed. It made a big difference on my DS. Its a stage 2 with a port job. It makes more of a difference in the hot summer. I ran all day at Little Sahara and never had my fan come on. I changed to gas and made one pass down the drags and it came on(my fan). Heat kills power. For that reason I love the alcohol. It wont run perfect with no jetts but you should be able to get an idea of how it runs. RWR has the alcohol kits. Let me know how it goes.

Old 01-06-2004, 02:39 AM
Pro Rider

mrmeaner what size jets did you run in your tm

Old 01-06-2004, 08:46 AM
Pro Rider

I think it is well worth it. I can tell a big difference all over, but especially midrange torque.
Mikuni TM's or Lectrons can easily be converted to alky.
Alky is supposed to do really well with high compression.
I run race gas through mine every time I park it.
The worse thing about alky is it will burn twice as much fuel than gas, a full tank only lasts me about 2 hours of riding. And they are very hard to start when they are cold.

To me it is well worth it, especially in the sand.

Old 01-06-2004, 10:50 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MrMeaner
You can try it first and see if you like it. Just buy some alky/methanol, Take off your carb, remove your pilot jet and your main jet and let her rip. Ive been running alky for about a year and I dont run gas through it when Im done unless its going to be sitting for a long time. I just turn the pittcock off and let it die. Ive checked the carb and its fine. Id run a little top end lube in the alcohol. Klotz makes it or I know guys who put a little BeNoil in it. Alky is corrosive and this keeps everything lubed. It made a big difference on my DS. Its a stage 2 with a port job. It makes more of a difference in the hot summer. I ran all day at Little Sahara and never had my fan come on. I changed to gas and made one pass down the drags and it came on(my fan). Heat kills power. For that reason I love the alcohol. It wont run perfect with no jetts but you should be able to get an idea of how it runs. RWR has the alcohol kits. Let me know how it goes.
where in the hell do you find alky?
you don't live far from me...

Old 01-06-2004, 08:43 PM
Trailblazer

I love methanol lol.........gave me large gains and runs way cooler i dont even run a fan now just rad shrouds.....i have large quantities in the garage..

Old 01-07-2004, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

I think a 240 and no pilot and it runs great. I get my alky at Fun Motors in Longview or at a guys house who races by the name Ray Ingel. Not far from Hallsville raceway. PM me if you need more info. Alcohol RULES

Old 01-07-2004, 09:03 AM
Pro Rider

A 240 main jet??? The smallest jet that came with my kit was a 265. Have you checked it with a EGT to make sure it is not lean??? Does RWR sell other jets???

I'm in no way saying your jetting is off, I'm just confused.

Old 01-08-2004, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

You know that does seem small. Im going to check it in the morning. I got the kit from Ron Woods

Old 01-15-2004, 11:45 PM
Trailblazer

ok mrmeaner...i am getting ready for round 2!!lol!!i'm switching to alchohol.ordered the rw jet kit. but what is that benoil?or where do you get it?also what cams are you running?
oh yeah..and big scary...covington's sells alchohol by the gallon or drum.

Quick Reply: Questions about switching to alchohol / methenol