CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

off topic. trailer

Old 01-20-2004, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default off topic. trailer

I was looking at a haulmark inclosed trailer. the curb weight is 2920. do you guys have a opinion on towing with a 4.7L dakota quad cab? its a v nose 3 place snowmobile trailer. I am concerned that it may be a bit heavy for my truck. anybody else tow anything that heavy with a small truck? how big is your enclosed w-tec?

Old 01-20-2004, 02:59 AM
Pro Rider

Dodge used to have a guide on there homepage where u could put your truck in and it would tell u your limits. I looked briefly but couldnt find it. Check it out or look in your manual. I would say that weight would be fine.

Old 01-20-2004, 09:22 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

It depends on how much/how far you plan to be towing it.

Generally speaking I would recommend a larger truck. (unless you will just be using it for short hauls locally)

Old 01-20-2004, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

the biggest problem with towing with a smaller vehicle is the tail waging the dog problem. it might have enough motor but the suspension and braking power may be lacking?

Old 01-20-2004, 11:58 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

How far do you usually drive?
Do you go over many mountain passes or is it straight highway to your riding area?
Do you run into heavy winds on your drive?
How much stuff are you planning on loading (weight?)

Old 01-20-2004, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider

Check and see what the tongue weight is on the haulmark trailor, that is going to make a big difference on if you want to use a dakota or not. Also see if the tounge weight is adjustable, by this meaning if you can slide the rear axle or axles closer to the front to lighten it up or slide it towards the rear to give you a heavier tongue weight. Whatever you find out a 2920 lb enclosed trailor is more than likely too heavy for a Dakota. I pull a 18 ft, 1,850 lb flatbed car trailor with a 2 foot steel dovetail with a full size Silverado 1500 Z71. With factory spring setup with that truck and the trailor empty the truck would drop about an inch, I added Supersprings to the rear in order to haul my race car. I have hauled all kinds of different stuff over the years and with your truck Im guessing your going to want no more than around a 10ft trailor under 2,000 lbs and a tongue weight around 500-700 lbs depending on your truck. Also with a enclosed your going to have more drag because of the wind, that will cause major transmission problems if you get too heavy of a trailor.

Old 01-20-2004, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider

We've pulled out trailer with a nissan frontier before. it's a custom 24ft long, 5ft tall and 5ft wide trailer, it can hold 4 smaller quads (raptor, banshee) or a raptor, banshee and a DS with a mini or pitbike with all the tools and gear. works good, maybe thats something you should look into.

Old 01-20-2004, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

my truck gvw is 5690 the trailer is 2920 so thats 8610 combined. my owners manual says total combined for my truck is 9200 or 10500 depending on gear ratio. not sure what mine is so I have to asume 9200 that only leaves me 590lbs. payload. I have that in people and gear so I don't know. seems to be pushin it. we haul 3 to 4 hours one way. 1 or 2 times a month. I also heard its a good idea to put synthetic 75w-140 in the rear diff. for over heat reasons. I have at least 1200lbs in quads. that would put me over w
eight. I plan on keeping the qaudcab for a couple more years to pay it off. I don't no what to do!!

I don't know the tongue weight of the trailer yet. but I do have a equalizer hitch. I suspect it is between 400 and 500lbs.

Old 01-20-2004, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

How long is the trailor your looking at, also how wide, and how tall?? If it is one like AdamsBadDS650 was talking about you could probably do that, but if your talking about something like 18ft+ by 6ft+ and 7ft= tall im telling you you wont want to pull it with a Dakota unless you have a decent V8, tow pakage, and some heavy springs on the rear.

Old 01-20-2004, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

If you look at http://www.haulmark.com check out the trailors and the specs then you might have an idea as to what you want to get. The specs will give you payload info and everything else, that might give you some more info on the one you are looking at if you can find a trailor that is similar on there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: off topic. trailer