CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Nothing but questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nothing but questions

??? I'm realizing the effect of lightening the rotating weight on a DS. Here are some questions I'd like to know the anwers to and can't get the answer through searching.
What do douglas rims weigh, if I went from a front .190 to a .160 whats the weight diff. How about rear .160 to .125?
I've read that the rear sprocket carrier for 2003 aluminum can replace earlier steel units. Has anyone succesfully tried this? Sandman?
How much weight does MRhp take off the hubs when he has them turned down. They are cast units, has anyone reported any failures after having them lightened?
Has anyone gone to a lighter chain and noticed any difference? non o-ring or TI
Where could I find Titanium bolts for the hubs and sprockets without paying government prices?
Has anyone slapped a TI axle on a stock bike and what acceleration difference did it make?
Here's one for DSSleuth, your bike really pulls hard one the top end, do you run the stock carb?
I'm ready to buy A-arms, I read that the new alum ones weighed 1 pound? that can't be right. I'm looking at the Ebay ASRs but I read they were pretty heavy. If I went with the aluminum uppers I could still use the ball joints for longer life. Would the new arms correct the caster probs on my 2000 bike. Are there better A-arms out there? TBRs? are they worth the extra cost?
Finally, has anyone gone to the 720 overbore and just run the stock cam and head? How does it do? Majorecho you ran an overbore, did you go big valves?
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Old 02-20-2004, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

the axle for me was worth the money, stock one was not strong enought! I did notice a very little differance in (accelleration?)faster.

I think TBR makes the best products for the ds...... you should not be disappointed, I've had great customer service!

sorry that about all I'm good for![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 02-21-2004, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

mystereid I don't want to speak for anyone, but I think "THE BOM" runs Mr.HP hubs on his pami DS830 on NOS with no problems. I could be wrong, have not asked or heard anything bad. IMO. I'm sure others will have something else to say regarding this, again IMO!
Later!
Joe

Old 02-21-2004, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks, keep em coming.

Old 02-21-2004, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey i went with a smaller sproket in the back and it made a big difference on bottom end. I am putting a 12:5:1 piston in and porting my intake. I will let u know how all that does so u can see a difference in stock and just a little upgrade. The pistons are not that expensive and i heard that they help out a bunch, and the carb and ported intake does too. I think mr.hp said that with the lectron 46hv carb, ported intake, and his billet end cap you will be pushing 51+ horsepower and that will out perform most 2 stage engines.
Lance

Old 03-11-2004, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider

If anyone is interested, I've been looking at getting rid of my 160 rear rims and getting 125s. I was talking to one of the dealers and asked the weight diff, he said a couple pounds. I stated that I was surprised that it was that much so he weighed some he had handy and the 125s came in at 10oz lighter putting them at 4lb 1oz. I don't think these were DS bolt pattern but I would expect similar results.
I'd love to take off that much rotating weight but Oregon dunes and trails seem to be too hard on the 125s.

Old 03-11-2004, 11:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

mystereid,

You might also think about Mr. HP doing the work on the rims as well, He taks normal (round inside) douglas rims, then notches them like factory Bombardier rims. You end up with an amount of weight savings from the notching - I wont guess how much but I'm sure he has weighed them before and after. You might just fire off an email to him asking about the weight of both the hubs & rims?

I think you may be on to something with this whole lightening deal though.

Old 03-11-2004, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider

I have the TI rear axel.

It forces you to buy honda rims since the hubs are honda pattern.

Havent noticed too much of difference yet, but havent raced them that much...

Old 03-11-2004, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some good questions mystereid, I quess when you are talking about rim wieght, maybe find out what the lightest tires are. I would like to know the weight difference between a .160 and a .190 rear rim, if anybody knows, let me know. also is a .125 rim to thin for overall duning ? (for the rear)

Old 03-11-2004, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider

STU padla brats comp cut were three pounds lighter than my extremes, that's per tire. This was on a bathroom scale but I know thats a close #. I dont know what triple buffs weigh but I've heard too many stories about punctures around here for me to run them. The STUs hold up impressively.

Quick Reply: Nothing but questions