CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

44 mm lectron on alky?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 01:02 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 44 mm lectron on alky?

Anybody running this carb on alky? Need to know if you think this is enough carb for my 733? Also will it run out of fuel at higher rpm's without a pingel pet-****? Ive got a packard 44mm lectron set up for alky to try for free, just dont want to run out of fuel and harm my motor.

Old 02-22-2004, 03:33 AM
Pro Rider

IMO with a motor that big it would be hard to run alky consistantly on that carb. You know that you have to run twice the fuel with alky & with a 44 it could be done I guess, but what do I know? OK gass yes & alky no! Again IMO!
Later!

Old 02-22-2004, 07:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: COUNTRYJOEGLASS
IMO with a motor that big it would be hard to run alky consistantly on that carb. You know that you have to run twice the fuel with alky & with a 44 it could be done I guess, but what do I know? OK gass yes & alky no! Again IMO!
Later!
From the many carb tuners I talked to before I bought my Lectron your opinion is
bass ackwards. You use a smaller carb for methanol than what you do for gas, considerring nothing else changes.

I don't know if it will work for that motor though. I run mine on alky with a modified stock valve, not a Pingle, on my 686.

What size motor was the carb set-up for?

Old 02-22-2004, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

Well that just blow my theory out the window, I stand corrected.

Old 02-22-2004, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider - Oldham Racing
BUILDS THE FASTEST DS's ON THE PLANET!

Want a hot DS, or maybe one of the fastest DS's on the planet? This is the man to contact!

Loco your stock petcock will not flow enough volum to keep the float bowl full. To run a single carb on Alky you almost need a fuel pump.

MrHorsepower
Horsepower Research

Old 02-23-2004, 02:14 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for the replies. Mr. Horsepower, Thats what i was thinking as well! The problem i have is i just borrowed this carb to try. I dont know if this carb will even flow enough for my motor, so i hate to spend a bunch of money to just try it and find out that it wont work. I have the dual 40mm lectrons which i have been running on there and it runs pretty well. It turned 61 hp at the rear wheels on the chasis dyno but the jetting was way off. I would really like to try just the single carb on alky to see the advantages or disadvantages. This carb i have to try was put on a 2003 650 husaberg bike and i was told it ran well. I dont think they had a fuel pump installed but i will check tomorrow. The carb was set up by dennis packard. I just thought it would be alot easier to jet one carb rather than two (also cheeper) Those meetering rods are spendy!!! If you run a fuel pump what kind of pressure should be run 2-3 psi?
Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer!

Old 02-23-2004, 05:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: COUNTRYJOEGLASS
Well that just blow my theory out the window, I stand corrected.
LOL, I know what you mean. I thought like you did untill I started calling around. Out of the 4 Lectron carb gurus (Packard, Joe, Eric, and FBG) they all said that a 44 is/was probably the best size for me. If it would have been a gas carb I would have went larger.

Old 02-23-2004, 08:22 AM
Trailblazer

i run a 44mm lectron on my pred it runs well but you might look into the dual power jet for your application

Old 02-23-2004, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider - Oldham Racing
BUILDS THE FASTEST DS's ON THE PLANET!

Want a hot DS, or maybe one of the fastest DS's on the planet? This is the man to contact!

It wont hurt to bolt it on and try. It will probably out perform the duals if its set up right for your bike. When runnung a fuel pump the needle seat has to be setup for whatever fuel pressure you plan to run. If it was running fine on another 650cc engine then your only concern might be the fuel flow of your petcock. With alcohol its more about volume than how rich the carb can be set.

MrHorsepower
Horsepower Research

Old 02-23-2004, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider

we've dyno'ed quite a few alcohol ds650's, and so far nobody has got it right yet on alcohol. They thought it was right, as did we, by riding them because they had a brutal hit, but it's deceiving. They were all making less power everywhere on the dyno.
Also, to further make a case, I entered a customer's gas DS in the alcohol class at Aledo and won! (Eric or Jeff, correct me if I'm wrong- might have been Jeff and me, or was that the modified class?- we all entered so many!). My conclusion so far is that not many people have the optimum setup on alcohol YET!
I would get it right on gas first, dyno it, then go to alcohol and dyno so you have a baseline of what it OUGHT to be doing.

Quick Reply: 44 mm lectron on alky?