CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

first mods for ds

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first mods for ds

OK i have decided to go for a ds650 not the baja for cost reasons two grand of a differance over here thats in uk currency
exchange at 1.85 ish

So what mods will give the best results for power and in what order would you recomend doing them (bang for buck?)

I will be fitting nerfs and a twist throttle (my thumb has no idea what to do) as soon as i get it the rest will have to come a bit at a time so as to keep she who must be obeyed happy

I have seen some of the stuff that mr hp does and it looks ok

Suggestions please[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 02-22-2004, 06:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you don't need a spark arrester, then bang for the buck Mr HP has probably the best setup you can get. Get the Endcap, porting, and then use his basic setup tricks & you'll be far ahead of stock machines for not a lot of cash. If you need a spark arrester, then the HMF pipe may be the way to go, using the rest of the stuff the same. Beyond that, you'll be looking at CDI boxes, carburetors, etc. It all depends on how much you want to spend and how fast.

Old 02-22-2004, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks

No need for spark arrestors here it rains to much for that i will check out mr hp website to see the porting details i already saw the end cap, looks a hell of a lot cheaper than a new system are the power results comparible ?

Old 02-22-2004, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: blue250r
Thanks

No need for spark arrestors here it rains to much for that i will check out mr hp website to see the porting details i already saw the end cap, looks a hell of a lot cheaper than a new system are the power results comparible ?

The billet end cap will perform better than any slip-on on the market so far!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-22-2004, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

Everyone overlooks how cheap and easy it is to get the next 8-10 horsepower out of the DS. The endcap, intake porting, and a fuel system change (jets or whole carb) make all the difference. MrHp knows his stuff.

Old 02-22-2004, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

Butfungus thanks for the reply
i had a look at your website some good stuff on there answerd a lot of questions without even asking

Looks like i can get some cheap horese power out of the DS and they say it always costs big money with four strokes??

How much hp out of the DS with just the end cap, intake and jetting and how is the tourge affected

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-22-2004, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider

My dime would be a modified end cap and jetting

Old 02-22-2004, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

The intake porting alone is supposed to be good for 4hp.

I don't know how it shows up on a dyno sheet, but my endcap made a night and day difference in low end torque. Even before I got my jetting straightened out I could easily feel a difference.

Old 02-23-2004, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mr.HP has some cool upgrades that u can get just like evrybody has said. The billet end cap helps so much because the stock pipe is already a full blown header pipe with just a restricted end cap holding the power back, so the mr.hp billet end cap would be the way to go. Mr. Horesepower says that if u go with the lectron 46hv carb,ported intake, billet end cap and K&N filter, ur DS will be putting out 51+ horsepower which will out peform most 2 stage engines. Check out his site and enjoy. Lance

-------------------
"01" DS650-12:5:1 High comp. Piston-Alba Complete pipe-Ported Intake-mikuni 45 carb-K&N Filter-ITP Sand Star rears-Modified air box and tube

Old 02-23-2004, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: buttfungus
Originally posted by: blue250r
Thanks

The billet end cap will perform better than any slip-on on the market with the exception of the new hmf slip-on.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
??
if we were smart enough, we'd have the dyno graphs on the website by now! the HMF is good, but it doesn't outperform the billet endcap.

Question, the FMF looks just like the HMF in design. It is titanium and prettier and higher $$$. Has anyone had both in their hands to compare design side by side?

Quick Reply: first mods for ds