CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

CLUTCH???

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CLUTCH???

Im in need for some clutches and i was wondering what everyone has and how much were they?

Old 02-23-2004, 03:43 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default CLUTCH???

stock about a $100

Old 02-23-2004, 03:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default CLUTCH???

Stock clutches with Ron Woods 60% springs. I put them in the 3 DS's I have had and have never toasted a clutch.

Old 02-23-2004, 05:12 PM
Trailblazer
Default CLUTCH???

Originally posted by: JMAC650
Stock clutches with Ron Woods 60% springs. I put them in the 3 DS's I have had and have never toasted a clutch.

Dito on that combination. Thats what i was told as well. My Stock clutch and stock springs were slipping when i bought my DS, so i had to babby it in 5th in the woods. On the ice it would slip obove 4000 Rpm when in 5th gear. So i could not really use 5th or it would eat the clutch. Not knowing much, i tossed in Barnet HP springs. There was no change. Maybe less hold? As it started slipping in 4th. So i Parked it and ordered the Ron Woods 60% springs. The guys at ron woods told me if the plates were within specs, i could rough them up on 280 grit sandpaper on a sheet of glass. (i used my storm window from the screen door) Ive herd to do it in a figure 8 pattern from a few people, as well as to do it up and down then side to side to give a 90* cross hatch from others. Not sure whats best, or if it makes a difference?

Main thing is to brake the shine, or "glaze" off the steels, and the plates, adn even teh steels, but dont take much off the plates!

If you use the sandpaper on teh glass, and slide the parts on the sand paper, it will also reveal any wear, or uneven spots. Mine had a .004" low spot in the middle of the steels all the way around. I assume this was do to it slipping so long. I sanded for a long time to remove this from all steels, and recheck them for thickness. when finnished.

It now holds perfectly, and hasnt slipped at all yet. Wheelies in 2nd and third with eassy tap on the clutch and jerk on the bars now as well..

If you have some time, and your plates arent to thin, you may not have to drop the cash on a clutch, just sand yours and get the RWR 60% springs. I think there about 25 or 30 bucks?

Old 02-24-2004, 10:20 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default CLUTCH???

there was some guys that ran the barnett plates awhile back and they said they put a grit in there oil as the plates wore, seems it had something to do with the kevlar.

Old 02-24-2004, 12:55 PM
Trailblazer
Default CLUTCH???

I just smoked my clutch last weekend on the lake. I was cruising along and all of the sudden I started losing momentum and then I stopped. She was running fine but she wouldn't move. I could shift into any gear and nothing. That clutch has been weak since I got it. I bought her new last year and after about 3 or 4 weeks of riding I could feel it slipping from about 3rd gear on. It got progressively worse and then it just gave out. I am pretty sure I need a new clutch although I haven't torn into her yet. So the Ronny's springs are the best eh? Are there any other aftermarket clutch kits that are proving themselves?

Old 02-24-2004, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider
THEBOM Racing. If it don't scare you a little, it's not going fast enough !!!
Default CLUTCH???

Stock fibers and steels, Pami springs.

Scooby has some SuperSprings that are new but you have to be a man to run them. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-24-2004, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default CLUTCH???

THEBOM are those the 18% over pami springs?

Old 02-24-2004, 07:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default CLUTCH???

Originally posted by: BigPink
I just smoked my clutch last weekend on the lake. I was cruising along and all of the sudden I started losing momentum and then I stopped. She was running fine but she wouldn't move. I could shift into any gear and nothing. That clutch has been weak since I got it. I bought her new last year and after about 3 or 4 weeks of riding I could feel it slipping from about 3rd gear on. It got progressively worse and then it just gave out. I am pretty sure I need a new clutch although I haven't torn into her yet. So the Ronny's springs are the best eh? Are there any other aftermarket clutch kits that are proving themselves?

Man that doesnt sound good at all! you better take a look see,and make sure its not something more serious. I have never heard of a clutch that bad before. hope thata all it is.

Bigger.

Old 02-24-2004, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider
THEBOM Racing. If it don't scare you a little, it's not going fast enough !!!
Default CLUTCH???

Originally posted by: COUNTRYJOEGLASS
THEBOM are those the 18% over pami springs?
The Pami's are anouther step above the RW's 60%. The Pami's and Scooby's SuperSprings are for the MAX POWER bikes!!!!!

Quick Reply: CLUTCH???