CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Water Pump Shaft Seal

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 02:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pump Shaft Seal

Trying to finish this project up. A little advise, get the pump impeller already mounted to the shaft. BMW makes a water pump seal replacement kit that comes with the impeller already mounted on the shaft. . . don't know if Bomb offers the kit. (I got parts separate from Bomb and had to ask my WIFE to help hold the part while I used a punch to get the pin in. . . )

Old 02-27-2004, 02:20 AM
Pro Rider

...we like tips! Gracias, amigo!

Old 03-05-2004, 01:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sounds like some guys have packed greese between the coolant seal and the oil seal.

The F650 site says the following:
Do NOT PACK the Gap in between the Inner and Outer Water Pump Seals with Grease. Why? Because if you PACK the area, the weep hole will not weep until you build up enough pressure to BLOW out the grease you packed in there. That sort of defeats the whole purpose of the weephole which is an early warning.

Any thoughts?

Oh, how long did it take for you to work the water out of your oil? What a mess!

Old 03-05-2004, 09:18 AM
Elite Pro Rider

i had that water in the oil mess once it sucked. and for those that think there is no difference in car oil and motor cycle oil there is an area you might notice a area. i thought i had lost the head gasket on the first piston and cams set up. so i replace the head gasket put fresh oil in 20 bucks, and the next thing i know thee is the milk white stuff. so being a slow learner i order a new head gasket and this time i think why spend 20 bucks on oil to ruin it, so i buy some 2 dollar a quart car oil that stuff turned to mollasse before i realised what was going on next would have been cottage cheese. then thanks to the forums i changed the water pump seals and then came the major clean up.

Old 03-05-2004, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DuneMe
Sounds like some guys have packed greese between the coolant seal and the oil seal.

The F650 site says the following:
Do NOT PACK the Gap in between the Inner and Outer Water Pump Seals with Grease. Why? Because if you PACK the area, the weep hole will not weep until you build up enough pressure to BLOW out the grease you packed in there. That sort of defeats the whole purpose of the weephole which is an early warning.

Any thoughts?

Oh, how long did it take for you to work the water out of your oil? What a mess!
I have tried it both ways. This is what my shop manual says to do:

"Fill cavity between sealing rings with Molykote 111
paste." which is oposite of what the f650 waterpump faq suggests.

I like it better filling the cavity IMO.