CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Final vote.... Sand stars or Haulers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Final vote.... Sand stars or Haulers?

i still have a few months before we make the trip to little sahara to find a pair... and it would be awesome to find a used pair of either...but ebay hasnt turned up anything good yet....

ive been up and down between these two ever since ive been looking into them.....

the pluses of the sand stars are the price (190 for two mounted on .190 rims)
the minuses are def the weight (.190s PLUS a molded paddle is a ton of weight...)

Haulers:
Pluses: great straight line paddle, great hookup
Minuses.... PRICE.... (somthing around 75 bucks more than the sand stars...)

i want a tire i can actually ROOST.....
i want somthing durable
and i want somthing that isnt IMPOSSIBLE to slide.... i dont really do all that much sliding...but it is nice to be able to toss the rear end around a little bit....

so what do you guys vote? they would be in size 22, and then on the haulers prolly 8 paddle....

so what would you guys choose?

Old 03-01-2004, 02:22 AM
Pro Rider

For the rear, go with the Haulers. I run Skat Trak EdgeIIs on mine for max sliding. You can still slide the haulers no problem. Go with them for durability and hookup on them.. there is no comparable tire. If you read the previous postings about the sandstars, you would know my opin. on molded tires.

I am buying the front Sand Stars and I am going to give them a shot.

Old 03-01-2004, 09:33 AM
Pro Rider

Sand Stars - durability and easy to slide. Hookup is okay, but not for drag racing

Haulers - be careful on hard pack or the paddles will come off, Hookup is awesome, sliding okay with sand fronts. There was a post a few days ago about haulers taking away from top speed and if you are out to go fifth gear all day that is something to consider.

When are you planning on going to the dunes? I will me going in March, May and June, and maybe in april with a local atv shop.

Justin

Old 03-01-2004, 10:52 AM
Air
Pro Rider

I hate molded Paddles, but a ds rips apart haulers.

Old 03-01-2004, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

Don't get regular haulers, the DS is too heavy and makes too much torque for them. You need the kevlar-reinforced Extremes.

I don't think they slide well, but the hookup is worth it!!

Old 03-01-2004, 11:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Somebody must have forgotten to tell my DS about that hauler ripping.....and what about all those 100hp banshees that have been wearing haulers for years?

I say go with 22" haulers 8 paddles, and when you want a good photo of killer roost put your knobbies on because NOTHING puts off a more impressive roost than knobbies, not even Vees.

Old 03-01-2004, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider

really knobbies? ill have to try that for a few runs just to get photos [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

right now we are thinking were gonna go near the beginning of june (june 4 or somewhere around there) and go for 7 days (if were driving nearly 24 hours, may as well get the most out of it!)

hmmm i wanted the extremes, but they are another 30 i beleive on top of the hauler price.... hopefully a set of used ones pops up soon... (because 300 bucks for paddles i only get to use 5 or so times a year is a LOT!)

seems to be people either love or hate the sand stars.... the only actual sand dunes ive ridden so far is silver lake, and there isnt really any asphalt driving... (some hard packed gravel...but that should be ok for the whole few hundred yards im on it)

im still thinking i like the sand stars just because they are molded, and therefore should be less likely to rip a paddle off if i were to hit a log or stump.... (i also have never been to little sahara, so i have no idea what access to the dunes is like... (cement driving at all?)

Old 03-01-2004, 01:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I mean the knobbies throw the best clowd ripping a tight turn on the hillsides for that surround roost - if you want a sweet shot showing how far you can throw a roost as you break the crest of a razorback then the striaght paddles are gonna sling that best.

little sahara oklahoma? there is an unavoidable asphault drive from camp to dunes, very short not much farther than Silver Lake's. just take it slow and don't spin them.
little sahara utah? pavement can be avoided and you can take a gravely sand mixture to the dunes, its quite ways depending on which campground you're coming from, and riding in the dunes there can bring to you a lot of places that are mixed with gravel and rocks, and these are the areas that can do some tire ripping I'd assume, but they are also easily avoided - you don't have to leave dune sand if you don't wanna, just depends on how much area you wanna cover.

Roost I'm like you - hit Silver Lake and Oklahoma the most, and that sand is easy on paddles and my haulers lasting a very long time, 3 years and maybe 15 trips and still like new. but if I spent all my time in the dunes out west littered with all those rocks and volcanic rock and sage brush I might have to reconsider the tire joice a bit.

Old 03-01-2004, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider

you run the standard haulers? (22's?)

since you ride at the two places i do, (well will be...) silver lake, and Little sahara *Utah*

what do you think of your tires for overall riding at those places?
also, what rims do you run? i have .190s on my realtors, and the things weigh more than both of my stock tires/rims TOGETHER.....
i was considering going with .160s...i jump, but nothing huge....

Old 03-01-2004, 02:01 PM
Range Rover

Vees throw more roost than straights.... ive had 8 paddle haulers and 10 paddle Edges.. the edges hook up straight just as well(probably due to more paddles) and turn allot better... AND throw HELLA roost... love um

Quick Reply: Final vote.... Sand stars or Haulers?