CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Billet Aluminum Cylinder & Head

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Billet Aluminum Cylinder & Head

222, why is it that your 105.5 bore would not require any machine work to the head or case but pami 105.5 require machine work?

Can the stock bottom end handle such a huge increase? What about head gasket sealing? Is a piston included in this price range? What CR would be avaliable? Getting to keeping the stock cylinder would really have no benefit to me, I don't see any reason why I would want to go back to stock.

If you can make a 725cc drop on kit that is reliable and only cost $1000 count me in (when I get the cash!)

Old 03-05-2004, 06:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The Pami Jug has larger water jackets so it sits in the cases differently. Not sure if the stroke may also require case changes.

The TVI 720 is a drop in I think so, I would think it would be possible.

That is one of the key best things about the DS. The tranny and crank can take the additional power. Pami actually lightens the stock crank for use on their 760 kit. I wouldn't run anything near that kind of power on the Raptor and expect either the tranny or the crank to hold together. The DS has a great bottom end!

I would say if you could get a kit that was a new cylinder for $1000 that was a larger bore and get a piston and 3-piece gasket at a good price that would be an awesome set-up.

I am impressed with the power of the 720's I have raced. They seem to be real close in power to the 760's. I haven't ridden a 720 yet though. I wonder how the torque of a 720 compares to that of a 760. I would expect the 760 to have a much higher torque number than the 720 but, it is quite a bit more expensive.

At the price TVI is putting together the 720's for I think that kit is tough to beat.

Old 03-06-2004, 03:30 AM
Pro Rider

Ron Wood already looked into this issue!!! He didn't do it because the Manufacturer wanted a 100K minimum order.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 03-06-2004, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider

I think if Ron Woods did most of the drawing and engineering, it wouldn't be nearly that much. I'm in the process of building a billet 1000 for a Mach Z sled and it's not even close to that cost. I do think it would cost more than ATV riders are willing to spend though. Even though it would be worth it compared to other mods we used to buy (old after market hype crap).

Old 03-06-2004, 10:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Was at the local dealer / shop today.

They had an "Athena 440 Kit" for the Z400 (I think that is the right spelling.)

Anyways it was a whole new casting jug with the nik coating and the whole kit (with piston and gaskets) was less tha $1k !!!

Looks like someone is making up different castings for a reasonable cost!

Old 03-07-2004, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

If that's a complete kit, it sounds good to me.
Sandaholic, Scooby pushed his turbo up to 119hp on a stock bottom end and it held together, this kit would probably be in the 60s.

Old 03-08-2004, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider

Any update on the cylinder?

Old 03-09-2004, 12:21 AM
Trailblazer

I was surprized to hear that anyone remembered me. Yes, I have a billet head and cylinder, with a forged piston from an automotive aplication. No, it would not make any type of economic sence to do what I've done. As one or two of you may remember, when I told the people on this forum how much it would have cost, I was talked of rather rudely, called a liar, and generally insulted by a few. This time I will just leave it at the fact that duplicating my quad would be insanely expencive, but since most of it was done for free by myself and friends, it was mearly rather expencive and insanely time consuming.
These same friends that helped me build it the first time, say that we may go even more insane if they can work the bugs out of their new tool. Recently, rapid prototyping has been developed that can work with steel. My friends are working with a lazer lab on the devopement of a rapid prototyping machine that can work in aluminum! When and if they get to that done, we're going to try for a 1000 single, just for fun. Simply because they love a challenge, but can't think of their own: and I'm a gear head that can't do the stuff I think of on my own. It's a great friendship.
To make it affordable to the masses, it would have to be cast. For a manufacturer to absorb the cost of developing the casting, they need to know the # of units that they will sell; hence the $100,000 minimum order. If the retailer fronts the development cost for the casting {$20,000 os so}, they still have to buy and sell enough of them to recoup that $20k in the profit margin, just to break even.

Old 03-09-2004, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

Did you ever get any dyno numbers? Are you still overseas?

Old 03-09-2004, 02:43 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for asking. I got back in July{just a month later than hoped} but a couple months later was hired for a job in the UAE. I'm in Nevada right now, visiting some friends and enjoying a "vacation". I fly back Thursday morning.
I picked up the bike when I got back, and took it with me as I bounced from friend to friend, for the months I was off. I did get it on a dyno, and ran it down the drag strip a few times as well. I'd almost forgotten how f*&^%in' scary that thing is. Tried it on a MX track too, but I was way too rusty to risk that for long. Got to haul down some of the awsome trails in the mid-west that are on rail road tracks no longer in use. I highly recomend that. Scary fast speeds because the trails have only gentle bends and are completly flat, but the coolest scenery you can imagine.
As I said befor, I'm not going to make any performance statements untill I meet one of you guys to "confirm" it. Right now I'm trying to get authorization to bring it back to the UAE with me, so I can play in the HUGE sand over there. Untill then, it sits at a clients ranch in CA, that is if he hasn't taken it to his studio to start playing with it.
If I can't bring it over with me, maybe I'll send it to that race you guys were doing down in Glamis. When is that anyway? Since I've hooked back up with my college budies, if we the project that they want to, I may have a bunch of 1 of a kind parts for sale if anyone is intrested.

Quick Reply: Billet Aluminum Cylinder & Head