CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Billet Aluminum Cylinder & Head

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 02:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Billet Aluminum Cylinder & Head

Why doesn't someone come out with a Billet Aluminum Cylinder & Head for the DS650? We could use more head bolts and better head sealing. Room for much larger exhaust valves (stock head has exhaust valves too close). The OEM cast aluminum is brittle and cracks after many hot/cold cycles.

Old 03-01-2004, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider

Didn't that wickedDS guy have a custom made top end for his DS? Haven't seen him post in awhile maybe there's some way to get a hold of him. Have you looked into cometics gaskets? I just don't think there is enough of a market for anyone to justify the cost - one off is probably how it would have to be made and now your talking big $$$. The water passages would be difficult for a CNC machine to reproduce - this would not be an easy undertaking.

Old 03-01-2004, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider

I would imagine they cnc the water jackets for cylinders on muzzy big block kits for street bikes the blocks are billet, so I would imagine so.I dont know if it would be worth it like you said, because of low production jug numbers, the price would have to be sky high. It would be awsome if someone would go ahead and jump into these and do some cool stuff like that. I like the idea of billet parts instead of modifying stock parts when affordable.
Justin

Old 03-01-2004, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

I asked about this a while ago. I don't remember anyone having any interest. I thought the same thing about the room for mods. Everyone has issues with head gaskets. Why not build a bigger cylinder? The cylinder shouldn't be an issue to make. The head could get involved. Plus the fact that if you go through the work of making a new one, why not make the ports straighter? Then, how would we package it? All sorts of cool things could come from this. But then why not just add a turbo and be done with it? I, myself, am horny for a billet eight hundy.

Old 03-02-2004, 02:17 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

I think the issue is demand, how many people are stressing their cylinder or head to the point of failure? The only prevailant problem seem to be head sealing with big bores and the gaskets keep getting better. I'd guess if the bikes ever became super popular to mod then someone other than Pami would come up with a big cylinder for a cheaper price. Does the head really have big flow problems? I thought high boost could overcome head flow problems?
To me the DS's size and durability will lend itself to being the next LT500 for streetbike motor transplants when the stock motors finally give up the ghosts.

Old 03-02-2004, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider

your talking about some $$$$$$ to have someone design the head then program the cnc milling michine then mill it out for just one head. if they ever start mass production i'd buy one though.

Old 03-05-2004, 12:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

How about a casting for a 105.5 jug or. . . a 108.5 jug???

Pami has a 105.5 jug casting that they have made for them. Why hasn't someone it the states done one as well? I guess (to answer my own question) it is cheaper to re-sleeve the stock jug to 105 than to build a whole new casting. But. . .

Old 03-05-2004, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider

...but, aluminum Nikasil cylinders offer reduced weight (66% lighter), excellent oil retention for lubrication, less frictional ring drag, better heat transfer and cooling, better durability and wear resistance, better oil retention, run tighter piston clearances = more performance.

Cast iron served its purpose in the 1970's and still does today in machine tools and construction equipment, but not in high performance engines.

Ask and you might receive. We are looking at the options.

Old 03-05-2004, 12:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I agree. I meant a new aluminum casting and yes one that would allow for a nik coating. Like the Team Pami one for their 760.

Old 03-05-2004, 12:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

What size?

Woud you have to bore the cases? Or, would it simply connect to the case and be a simple bolt together kit?

I would suggest marketing it to everyone! TVI, Ron Wood, On-Dunes, etc. Castings aren't something anyone will want to bring on especially if someone else is offering one at a competitive price.

How would the price compare to the TVI 720?

The Pami 105.5 jug goes for about $1,000. Add to that the exchange rate which is really high right now and taxes, shipping, etc. and you are at about $1425! Ouch! But, that jug is the best jug on the market for a big bore.

Get it near the price of the TVI 720 bore and sleeve and you have a winner!

Quick Reply: Billet Aluminum Cylinder & Head