CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Athena-ad Making 440 kit for the Z400 with a new jug. . . Think they would make a new jug for the DS???

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Athena-ad Making 440 kit for the Z400 with a new jug. . . Think they would make a new jug for the DS???

E-mail sent

Old 04-13-2006, 02:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Athena-ad Making 440 kit for the Z400 with a new jug. . . Think they would make a new jug for the DS???

Originally posted by: DuneMe
Whatever Nut. . . is it just me or do you seem to want to stir the pot with every new post?

I agree, these guys aren't making bank on these kits.

Heck, I don't even need a kit. Just looking for options for the Joe Mechanic wanting a little more.

I don't see anything wrong with pushing another builder into the mix. It's about competition. After all, that's what has made the DS builders out there so good.

These kits are for the every-day garage mechanic NOT for someone looking to win the big drag races. Not everyone is looking to win the big drags. There are a lot of people looking for a little extra power and a simple way to do it.

The simple thing is, if you want a big bore at a lower cost that isn't going to have the factory support or options to build it into a competition bike, drop these guys an e-mail. If you don't want that option, don't send them an e-mail. If you don't think anyone should send an e-mail. . . start your own thread on the discussion.
No, DuneMe. You infer pot stirring because you simply don't like what I have to say. That certainly does not mean that is my intention. The concept that there is a magic company out there that can finally produce a big bore for a "reasonable" price indicates a lack of understanding which was what I was trying to address. The big bore's that are already on the market are already "reasonable" since they are based on real cost based on up to date technology and modest margins. It is the price expectation that is unreasonable. With the limited number of companies that have the ability and the equipment to configure and produce a prototype casting, it is unreasonable to expect a new company to come in and talk Cheetah into making them a casting for less. HPR doesn't sit around pouring molten aluminum into molds that they put together for $4.00 from the local craft shop. The design has to be perfected and the casting company with the gazzilion dollar pieces of equipment have to set up for it. Every shop that tries to make one of these things will have to go through the same process and expense. There are no magic beans..............until someone invents a new way to make castings or the DS650 market produces demand that is equivelent to Yamaha or Suzuki parts. That will make it attractive for someone to leverage huge amounts of big bore kits off the fixed cost of the same casting which will drive the cost down per unit.

I am both amused and annoyed that you expect me to be less "Frank" than you are............I welcome your perspective on any of my threads, DuneMe.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-13-2006, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Scatterbrain
All I can say is watch the horizon gentlmen.

Me too, I want to hear about it too.
Thanks!

Old 04-13-2006, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider

Even if Athena did make a kit for the DS, I would think the price of the kit would be higher then their other kits just based on the low numbers of DS compared to the big 4 brands.

I personaly think that anyone looking for a big bore kit already has at least 4 choices out there. I would rather see the companies devote there time to develop something new for the DS.

Old 04-13-2006, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

DuneMe
Thu April 13, 2006 10:13 AM

Time to wake these guys up again!!!

Heck, time for us to wake up!!! Have you seen how inexpensive their big-bore kits are? If I remember right you can get a YFZ KIT (piston, jug, gaskets, etc.) for less than $700!!! That same kit by Pami, Millianium, HP Research, TVI, etc. will run you about $1000 MORE!!!
================================================== ==============================
DuneMe

Millennium big bore kit is $460-$700 (larger price if cut/install insert) with nikasil lining and custom size/config of piston, although have to send jug.
Haven't heard from Scooby, but he had big bore AL from stock jug, and he has more hp than anyone ($215 cylinder rebore custom fit to his piston). 102 mm (~700cc) the same price and guranteed at same price ($215/cylinder).

So it will be hard to better this offer. This is customized on a level greater than any I am aware of, and these are Distributor direct prices that China itself can't compete with. The quality is there and as well as the expertise to back up custom configs. Italy is the home of Fiat, the world's largest metallurgy and foundry's, but nickasil had a billion dollars spent in developing and came on your bike stock (HPR nikasil is Millennium coated too).

I'm not knocking anyone, but this is the best quality at the advertised price I've seen. Everyone is different though and offers service for their own client group, small or large. Some companies include expenses in retail costs beyond customer value add that benefits their clients in an exclusive context. Power to the people. I prefer competitive American made products though, if the value is there.

For me, the value is in: slightly larger bore, custom forged AL piston, lubricity of AL cylinder, and expert custom config service.
30cc is a minor difference, but racers may demand this 30cc to make a difference. You are going to need more than 30cc if going against Mr HP's 855cc, 10mm stroker, 16:1 CR, Nitrous quad though.

Old 04-13-2006, 03:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

All right. . .

I've sent a couple PM's to try to keep this thread clean.

I really don't want to turn this into something else.

Athena makes cylinder and piston kits. . . that's it. . . If you want them to look into one for the DS. . . send them an e-mail.

If you want them to look into something else for the DS. . . send them an e-mail.

If you want to discuss what other builders should offer or how much you think it costs to do things and profits, margins, impossible this or that. . . start your own thread. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

If you want to push someone else into making a kit for the DS - shoot these guys an e-mail.
If you don't want them making a kit. . . don't

I've posted their e-mail response so you can see for yourself. I don't want to give anyone false hope. I doubt they are going to jump into making one for the DS. But, just maybe if a bunch of us send them e-mails, the will listen. Maybe not on the DS650 but, what about the next bike Bomb makes? Sure would be nice to NOT have to wait years for options.

Old 04-13-2006, 03:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thanks for straightening me out. I will try to work on my conformity skills.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] lol

Competition is a good thing............as is an accurate perspective on how things really work. If anyone knows where I can get one, will you PM me?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Nut Out

Old 04-14-2006, 10:31 AM
Elite Pro Rider

they probably won't, i dont think the 20 to 1 i saw posted is right, i deal with powroll a lot and they even say they have to choose there machines they work on very carefully, as not to have a slow mover( product sales). i find a lot of people that still don't know about the ds, or heard it was to big to slow too something, seems the only reason dealers have ds's is to have the outies.

Old 04-14-2006, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Email sent. Seems to me the only ones against this are those with 730 kits already, hmm...................

Duneme runs a sweet running 760, he dont need it. He's just looking out for the next average joe. Nice eye Mark, thanks for thinking of us poor little ol slow 650cc owners.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-14-2006, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider

Below is the response I got from Thena.

Hello Cameron,

Thank you for your message and for your interest in our articles.
Unfortunately we do not have any cylinder kit for Rotax 650 in
our range. Our technicians are evaluating the possibility to
produce it in the future, but this takes time and further
investments. So it is too early to give you a positive answer.

You can always check our complete range in our website
www.athena-ad.com to find the updatings.

Best regards

Daniela Zuffellato
ATHENA SPA
sales@athena-ad.com

Quick Reply: Athena-ad Making 440 kit for the Z400 with a new jug. . . Think they would make a new jug for the DS???