CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Just ordered aluminum sprocket hub from MRHP

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 03:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just ordered aluminum sprocket hub from MRHP

Anybody else got one? Just curious.
I neve did like the extremely rough and porous casting job on my factory steel hub. and the fact that the other 5 hubs are all aluminum so why not this one? 4 wheel hubs are aluminum, brake hub is aluminum, and then there's this nasty ugly pitted cast steel sprocket hub that is hell to clean the dirt out of!
So it otta be here in a couple days, then its byebye to a couple more lbs. of rotating mass.

Old 03-26-2004, 03:30 PM
sam
Pro Rider

Chris,
let us know how the tear down and assembly goes. Im curious if its a pain or fairly ez. do you need to pull the axel to do this?
Sam

Old 03-26-2004, 04:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

yes you gotta pull the axle to do it.
I pull my axle every year for bearing cleaning and repacking, I ride lots of water and creeks, and while its out I'll put it back together with the new hub. its about a two hour job, if cleaning and repacking too. this I recommend, there's no way you can pull this out and put it back in without accidentally getting dirt on the bearings and grease anyway.

you remove the left wheel hub (right one too if changing sprocket hub, no need otherwise) - no need to take off the tire/wheel off the hubs, loosen the axle nut and remove the clip in the axle groove, slide off the entire brake hub with axle nut and brake rotor still attached, then slide the axle out the other side. carefully remove the seals from the bearing carrier (still in swingarm) clean inside carrier well, put in new seals, clean bearings and axle, repack bearings, grease races and seals inside carrier, put it all back together.

Since I haven't removed the spocket hub yet, I don't know how tight it fits the axle, may need to press it off, or it may come off with a plastic mallet, don't know. it does have a clip in a groove just like the brake hub side.

MRHP hub is $75, Durablu costs $108!
MRHP's hub is 3 lbs. lighter than stock.

Old 03-26-2004, 07:57 PM
Range Rover

hightower, do u heat the carrier to put the bearing back in?

Old 03-26-2004, 08:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

I have been eyeballing that also, I will order one shortly.

Old 03-26-2004, 08:08 PM
Range Rover

Me too![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Gotta have it!

Old 03-26-2004, 08:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

DS bearings are tapered, like those on the front end of a rear wheel drive car...
the bearing and the outer race are seperate pieces - when you remove the bearing from the carrier, the race stays behind - it would be difficult to remove one without damaging it. if cleaned and repacking, you don't have to remove the races.

if you are replacing bearings, you must replace the races too and they do come with the bearings. to install the new races, you heat the carrier in the oven and put the races in the freezer. this works so well that they literally "drop" right in with little to no effort at all. in fact, they may fall right out until the races warm up enough to stay if you're not careful...

Old 03-26-2004, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider
THEBOM Racing. If it don't scare you a little, it's not going fast enough !!!

Originally posted by: Hightower
Since I haven't removed the spocket hub yet, I don't know how tight it fits the axle, may need to press it off, or it may come off with a plastic mallet, don't know. it does have a clip in a groove just like the brake hub side.
You have to press it off. It does have a clip on the out side of it. You have to press it toward the middle, take the clip off, them press it off to out side. A hammer will just mess up the threads on the end of the axle.

Old 03-26-2004, 09:28 PM
Range Rover

ok thx hightower, never repacked bearings here. the race will stay in the axle carrier, and i can pull the outside of the bearings and race assembly off? then i can pull each bearing out, clean the race, put new grease in and reassemble?

Old 03-26-2004, 09:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

the '04 sprocket hub is aluminum, I wonder how much it costs from bombardier. is the '04 aluminum sprocket hub not compatible with the earlier versions of the DS rearend?

Quick Reply: Just ordered aluminum sprocket hub from MRHP