CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Calling ALL Lectron 44 Guys... please help me keep my Lectron

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling ALL Lectron 44 Guys... please help me keep my Lectron

I finally took the DS out today. I always knocked my Stage III friend cause his TM45 was considerably harder to push and had a bog down on the bottom.

Well after hopping off my DS and riding his (he has a Stage III from RWR) it was a DREAM compared to what I got. I have a terry cable thumb throttle and a cable made from them to my specs. However one thing about the lectron it seems like you need a 90 degree bend which is binding my cable. Thumb throttle effort is absolutely horrible. Where did you guys route yours? I routed mine underneath the gas tank but now considering to route it between the tank and the tank cover. If that doesn't work I may sell it for a loss and get a stock carb and thumb throttle. It was at the point today where I prefered riding my Raptor.

BTW The 720 kit didn't give me a whole lot of grunt but I can defintely feel more wider power, mid and upper it just runs. If I had paddles today I would have given my Stage III buddy a better run for the money but between wrestling the controls (60% stronger springs from RWR seems like monsterous overkill) and thumb throttle I can't ride it the way I feel comfortable with.

Any suggestions or opionions please let me know... I like the carb it responds and no bog.

Old 03-28-2004, 08:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Check my pictures page for a picture of the throttle cable that MR. HP hooked me up with. It has the 90 degree bend in it. I'm sure he can hook you up with the same one, then you'll be able to run your 44 much better.

Old 03-28-2004, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider

Just e-mailed Eric....

I'm sure he'll get back to me... if I knew he had one of those cables I wouldn't have messed around with Terry Cable!!

Old 03-28-2004, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider

Blackhawk.. btw.. how is the thumb throttle effort on yours? (if your using that cable and a lectron?)

Old 03-28-2004, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

I have the cable run up the left side (drivers side) under the tank cover. In between the tank and tank cover.

I have also altered the tank cover at the front so that the cable comes out high by the bars.

This is what I have done with both of my bikes.

DuneDevil

Old 03-28-2004, 09:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Entomber,

I wont know for sure until after I get the carburetor itself installed. Right now UPS has it hostage somewhere between Kentucky and California. I'll let you know what the pull is as soon as I get it - though I've heard the pull should be just about the same as stock. Did you ever check the cable pull with the carburetor off? Perhaps that would give you a good idea about how to best route it.

DuneDevil - I have the IMS 5 gallon tank, so there is no 'under the tank cover' option for me. With my 90 degree cable guide I think I'll be sitting pretty though.

Old 03-28-2004, 09:16 PM
Range Rover

I run mine with a 90 degree bend. I never had a problem with pushing the thumb throttle (Hpd). Have you ever thought of going twist throttle?

Old 03-28-2004, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

I absolutely refuse to ride with a twist throttle. If I had to use a twist throttle I'd sell the DS all together. I've ridden several quads with twist throttle and I almost damn near hurt myself inadvertely giving it gas when not to.

Dunedevil got any pics?

Blackhawk when I had the carb just laying around and everything in a nautral bend it was smooth as silk, but now routed it's horrible. I rode my Raptor yesterday for a bit and I didn't expereince the severe muscle paints in my hands that I'm going through now. I know, I know.. most will read this and say "wuss".. but I'm serious.. its intolerable. My Stage III friend and I traded quads and he said "give me my quad back ... I can't handle this either".

Old 03-29-2004, 03:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Entomber,

Mr. HP had his cable routed poorly on his DS a while back as well, his throttle pull was super stiff, at least as stiff as you decsribe, perhaps even worse. I haven't asked him if he got it all worked out yet. Have you tried (for testing only) a completely external cable route? There is more than likely a 'minimum bend radius' that you are exceeding which is causing the intolerable cable pull. I know for computer network cables the minimum bend radius is about three inches, I'd be willint to bet this type of cable needs at least 5". (Minimum bend radius would be measuring how far apart the cable is when making a perfect U shape. It would be the distance between the left side of the U and the right side. If you pull everything out and do an external test install, you could make tighter and tighter bends in the cable until you notice the pull getting tough then you'll know exactly what the minimum bend radius is.

Old 03-29-2004, 08:22 AM
Pro Rider

Blackhawk the thing is there is only so much cable. I may have him make two one considerably longer than the other so I can get that radius in there. I had problems making jumps yesterday cause the thumb effort was just to hard to hold it in. I'm going to see if I can get this going, if I can't... back to the stock carb for me. I know.. "wuss". It's just simply not as enjoyable is it was.

Quick Reply: Calling ALL Lectron 44 Guys... please help me keep my Lectron