CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS warranty vs first service

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS warranty vs first service

Hi i I picked up my new DS a week or so ago Today i got a letter from Bombardier saying they had recieved my warranty registration And mentioning the first service that should be carried out after the ten hour run in. I have the parts to do it my self and im a qualified heavy deisel industrial mechanic.

But i got the impression that if i dont go to a bomb dealer bang goes my warranty, I wouldnt mind paying for my first service

but the dealer i bought my bike from is 4.5 hours away and my local bomb dealer well lets just say i would rather eat broken glass than let him touch my bike.

So can they void my warranty if i do the work.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 04-05-2004, 09:48 PM
Trailblazer

I save all receipts for Oil changes, greeses, Parts etc to prove I was Properly Maintaining my equipment.

Old 04-06-2004, 03:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't think it will void your warranty. I did my 10 hour service on my 2003 Baja, though never needed any warranty work on that machine. I also did do some work on my 2001 DS before and after having it in the shop for warranty work and they didn't give me any problem. If anyone will give you problems, it will be the dealer, not Bombardier. The only thing I'd hold off on doing under warranty period is exhaust / engine power mods. If there is something they'll get upset about that would be it. (Though Alba sells new ATVs with exhaust already installed....)

Old 04-06-2004, 04:12 AM
Pro Rider

They cannot leagaly force you to have the shop perform the 10 hour service to keep your warranty unless they provide the service for free.

Old 04-06-2004, 04:16 AM
Pro Rider

The only thing I'd hold off on doing under warranty period is exhaust / engine power mods. If there is something they'll get upset about that would be it. (
Also, they cannot void your warranty for any bolt on aftermarket items either. The only way they could deny a claim is if the bolt on aftermarket part is the cause of the problem. For instance, if the tranny was defective, they cannot deny your claim because you put on a different slip on silencer, shocks, etc.

Old 04-06-2004, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the replys

i think i wil call Bombardier UK and tell them the situation about the local guy being crap ect just to cover my a$$.

I have already discussed with the dealer i bought the bike from that if there were any warranty issues He would supply me parts and i would carry out the work and send the bad parts back to him unless it was a big engine failure or the like, he was happy with this as it saves him shop time,

Old 04-06-2004, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider

Your safe on your warranty. I used to be a service manager for a Bomb dealer.

Old 04-06-2004, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

blue250r,

I just notived you were from Scotland. The info I gave was for the U.S. I'm not sure what the laws over there are when it comes to warranties. Sorry for the confusion. (I still think your safe)

Old 04-06-2004, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider

I think it would be the same here
The car dealers used to try the same thing with servicing vs warranty and charge the earth for there servicing but as long as genuine parts were used and the work was carried out by a competant person/workshop the warrantys stand.

can any of u guys verify the part # of the oil filter i have its a champion RB-X305, i bought it from my local bmw bike dealer as the f650 uses the rotax engine.

thanks for all your help[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-06-2004, 01:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The filter I have is a Champion RB-X339. You may have the 'short' filter. Be sure you have the correct one - the short filters will not work. The short filters only work on the 2000 models, and even those guys should upgrade to the longer filter & filter cover. These filters are made in europe somewhere so if you find the source let me know - I'd like to buy a case of them for less than US $8 each.

Quick Reply: DS warranty vs first service