CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

How to tell horsepower....

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 06:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tell horsepower....

I am trying to find out the horsepower on my Outlander Max 400 H.O. just for kicks. How do you determine this?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Old 04-06-2004, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider

hope this helps

Definition
The term horsepower was invented by the engineer James Watt. Watt lived from 1736 to 1819 and is most famous for his work on improving the performance of steam engines. We are also reminded of him every day when we talk about 60-watt light bulbs.
The story goes that Watt was working with ponies lifting coal at a coal mine, and he wanted a way to talk about the power available from one of these animals. He found that, on average, a mine pony could do 22,000 foot-pounds of work in a minute. He then increased that number by 50 percent and pegged the measurement of horsepower at 33,000 foot-pounds of work in one minute. It is that arbitrary unit of measure that has made its way down through the centuries and now appears on your car, your lawn mower, your chain saw and even in some cases your vacuum cleaner!

Measuring Horsepower
If you want to know the horsepower of an engine, you hook the engine up to a dynamometer. A dynamometer places a load on the engine and measures the amount of power that the engine can produce against the load.
Torque
Imagine that you have a big socket wrench with a 2-foot-long handle on it, and you apply 50 pounds of force to that 2-foot handle. What you are doing is applying a torque, or turning force, of 100 pound-feet (50 pounds to a 2-foot-long handle) to the bolt. You could get the same 100 pound-feet of torque by applying 1 pound of force to the end of a 100-foot handle or 100 pounds of force to a 1-foot handle.
Similarly, if you attach a shaft to an engine, the engine can apply torque to the shaft. A dynamometer measures this torque. You can easily convert torque to horsepower by multiplying torque by rpm/5,252.
You can get an idea of how a dynamometer works in the following way: Imagine that you turn on a car engine, put it in neutral and floor it. The engine would run so fast it would explode. That's no good, so on a dynamometer you apply a load to the floored engine and measure the load the engine can handle at different engine speeds. You might hook an engine to a dynamometer, floor it and use the dynamometer to apply enough of a load to the engine to keep it at, say, 7,000 rpm. You record how much load the engine can handle. Then you apply additional load to knock the engine speed down to 6,500 rpm and record the load there. Then you apply additional load to get it down to 6,000 rpm, and so on. You can do the same thing starting down at 500 or 1,000 rpm and working your way up. What dynamometers actually measure is torque (in pound-feet), and to convert torque to horsepower you simply multiply torque by rpm/5,252.
If you plot the horsepower versus the rpm values for the engine, what you end up with is a horsepower curve for the engine.

just kidding some one will know the hp of your bike , hope your still awake if you read that

Old 04-06-2004, 06:47 PM
Trailblazer

put it on a dyno

Old 04-06-2004, 06:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: dsracer650
put it on a dyno
lmao!!!!!! Thats the short answer!!!!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-06-2004, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider

That is one in depth, intensely detailed answer. I tip my hat to you.

Old 04-06-2004, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider

What do you know i had it in a brochure here

tourqe is 32Nm@5500rpm

for some reason best known to themselves they dont give an hp figure

but for comparison the 330 is 25Nm@6700rpm

And the ds is 57Nm@5500rpm

Old 04-06-2004, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider

well then, according to the info provided by blue your horsepower is 33.5 at 5500RPM

Old 04-06-2004, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

actually, i just did the formula he provided for the ds, and if all the numbers provided were correct then the formula is crap cuz no way is the ds close to 60HP at 5500 or any other RPM, not in stock form anyways

Old 04-07-2004, 10:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well, thanks for the detailed answer. I was wondering if anyone just had an answer. =)

Thanks,
Matt

Old 04-07-2004, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: bigslim78
actually, i just did the formula he provided for the ds, and if all the numbers provided were correct then the formula is crap cuz no way is the ds close to 60HP at 5500 or any other RPM, not in stock form anyways
Did u use the formula on newton meters or did you first convert them to pounds feet if you did the conversion what is the factor ?
i couldent remember it and it was to late to go look it up[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: How to tell horsepower....