CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Need help fast plz

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help fast plz

At the moment i have me ds torn down and i have measured the clearance on my valves. The exhaust is about .003, and the intake is about .0015, and as we know this needs to change. Now i was wonderin how do i adjust these? as all i can see is the tops of the valves, and the cams and chain and stuff. any help would be greatly appreciated. PS i have read every post in here on valves, and i still am lost. Thanks

Old 04-08-2004, 06:24 PM
Pro Rider

There is a bridge that holds down the cams. Take those eight bolts out and take the cam tensioner loose, and take the little t divider between the cam bridges out. The cams will come out now and there is a flat round piece that sits on the lifters about the size of a quarter. This is the valve shim. It is less than a quarter inch thick and will pop out of the top of the lifter. Then you just measure the thickness and go buy the ones you need. Also if you don't have a service manual, buy one.

Justin

Old 04-08-2004, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks, thats what i thought, however someone told me i could adjust them and not repace them, but i just did some reading, and what they were talking about was not the DS. I understand now, but i was also wondering, do i HAVE to use the bolt to hold my crank at TDC? cuz it's there now, and not moving, the only thing ican see would be to get the proper and absolute true reading and not bein out a little bit. Thnaks

UPDATE: we have measured the clearance, removed the shims, and measured them. But the dealer has to order them on monday. Anyways, my intake clearance is about .002 inches, and i need .006, so i need a .004 inch smaller shim than what i have now correct? And the same goes for the back, but different numbers, also i was wondering, it shouldn't hurt anything if i run the quad with the valve cover off should it? I just wanna see exactly which valves are clickin and stuff. Thnaks

Old 04-08-2004, 10:44 PM
Elite Pro Rider

some have said something about having a machine shop remove some from your shims you already have. wouldn't recommend running without the cover. messy other than that try

Old 04-09-2004, 02:31 AM
Pro Rider

messy yes. lol, we have it all back together now, the shims weren't in stock, and won't even be able to order them till tuesday so i said screw it and threw it all back together for the weekend. other than that she runs great. And i have a little sidetrack question. How does elks quadrate 19 3/4 inch front shocks, and the +3 +1 Longtravel a-arms and the elka rear and a durablue +4 axle sound? Is that way over the top or what? I wouldn't use it, but i may have the oppertuinity to pick up them up cheap cheap. Thanks