CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Raced my Stage III buddy yesterday... results are...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raced my Stage III buddy yesterday... results are...

Well to sumarize it quickly he won. However he had more in his corner going for him. For one we were in soft lose terrain not hard packed and he had paddles, I had knobbies. He also has larger valves, I have stock sized valves. His DS has stock gearing I went down 1 tooth on the front sprocket. I will order a 17 tooth this week and see how that goes. I'm not as happy with the 15 tooth sprocket as I thought I would be. You kind of go through the gears a lot quicker and makes the gears shorter.

I still think I'm running a bit rich. I've had it bog a bit a couple times yesterday (nothign compared to a TM45 witout accelerator pump) and if I ride pretty wide open it's fine but putting around and whatnot there seems to be a slight hesitation. Back to leaning it out some more. It starts up on the dime when it's cold but when it's warmed up I tend to have to push the throttle to get it to start or stay on the starter.

I was hoping to stay even with him at the very least. Maybe I'm asking too much. However I noticed he is beaing me no more than 3 quad lenghts at most instead of the 7-9 quad lenghts before. I guess I'm going to need the bigger valves, the RIGHT compression piston, and an HV46 carb tuned right, maybe even stroke it so I can launch a bit harder. Of course a set of good paddles will be in my favor.

Belive it or not even with a 15 tooth front sprocket I had no problems keeping the front end down.

Old 04-26-2004, 01:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

sounds like you changed too many things at once - i.e. new carb combined with big bore kit. you really need gauges to help you dial in - EGT and/or air/fuel meter. they don't cost much.

Old 04-26-2004, 03:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Entomber
Belive it or not even with a 15 tooth front sprocket I had no problems keeping the front end down.
Paddles will win the race. . .

Old 04-26-2004, 03:57 PM
Elite Pro Rider

that's a silly race paddles to ***** try that on stock quads the result would be worse than 3, i've done that one, do a roll on from 20 if you want to try that kind of race. that will even up the traction. and don't go back with those paddle masters. i wouldn't change the front sprocket until you get the paddles on that will tell you if you can pull fifth well or not.

Old 04-26-2004, 03:59 PM
amd
Pro Rider

I take it you guys where in the sand? If he had paddles and you had nobbies, and he only beat you by 3 bikes then put paddles on yours and bust his ***!!. Nobbies in the sand is no good at all especially for drag racing. Put some 10 paddle haulers on there and do it again...

Old 04-26-2004, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider

can't imagine any race between a knobby and a paddle tire being even close. i had a stage III rwr kit and it ran strong ( more hp from rpm than torque ) gearing and tire size is a hole other set of problems, you'r right that a lower gear seems to zing thru the rpm range to fast with a deep gear. get the same tires first then go down the list, sooner or later it will come around.

Old 04-26-2004, 04:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

he didn't mention anything about sand.

maybe pro-wedge II if loose dirt will help.

Old 04-26-2004, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider

Did you try a second gear start? I used to race all the time with just knobbies on with the 15th till I got my paddles and with the 2nd gear start I could still easily beat my brothers rappy and he had paddles. I always do a 2nd gear start on any kind of dirt surface.

Old 04-26-2004, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider

Well the terrain was defintely in the gamut of Sand. While not totally soft, it was very loose and heavy but overall yeah you can say it was sandy. I always start off in 2nd gear. 1st gear is too short I think for drag racing. My buddy however starts off in 1st. I always got the holeshot and it seems it took a bit longer for him to catch up to me. Right now money is tight so I'm going to live with those paddle masters for a while. I plan to get haulers soon. I didn't go out with the paddle masters cause I couldn't get one to seal up (the bead) and I wanted to get going.

What is an EGT? I've seen it mentioned here before. I will invest in a air/fuel meter as well. I want that carb dialed in. One thing my friend does do is dial in his bike. Will larger valves give me more HP? How much more HP does it really give?

Old 04-26-2004, 08:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

with good paddles your friends day's are no' because your the new big guy on the block[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Raced my Stage III buddy yesterday... results are...