CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Just installed my Motion Pro Twist throtle

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed my Motion Pro Twist throtle

I had been a little worried about swapping after reading what the general public thought about the twist. I installed this past saturday
night and rode all day sunday. I like it alot. Makes controling wheelies easier, and just overall riding more fun. The 46hv carb w/the modded stock throttle got old after a while. I am very glad I mad the swap, just wish I had done it earlier.
Justin

Old 04-28-2004, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Mine has been that way for a very long time now. I've ridden 2 wheelers for years. Then when I went to 4 it had this thumb thingy on it. I thought what the $% $# is that all about. I caqn't tell you how many times I almost killed myself cause of that. Then I herd others say that with the twist they had a hard time with control. To each their own I guess. Run what you can run the best with. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-28-2004, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider

After fooling with thumb throttle extensions, a Terry thumb throttle ($$), and a jetski finger throttle, I was replacing the twist throttle on my son's CR125 and the light went on. I yanked it off his CR125 and tried it on my Raptor, perfect fit. I didn't get a chance to ride it much before tearing down the Raptor but the few times I did, it felt the same as the twist throttles on all my dirtbikes as a kid. If you don't have a preference yet or have used a twist throttle on dirt bikes, I'd say a twist throttle is much better than a thumb throttle. If you are used to a thumb and new to a twist, try it but take it real easy for a while.

Old 04-29-2004, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

this is the post I have been waiting for. I have been considering this for a while now. I have to do something about this throttle issue on my quad. I like the carb. but having to break vacume on the carb slide with a thumb throttle sucks. I just did not want to make a mistake with a change thats not good. I think I will try the twist throttle myself. where did you get your motion pro from? did you have to modify it in any way? special cable?

Old 04-29-2004, 01:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

would somebody please break it down for me and tell me the advantages, and the disadvantages of the twist throttle. please. dose it make it much easier to wheelie. is it mor dangeroue if i do alot of rocky trail rideing. thanks for your input.

Old 04-29-2004, 02:55 AM
Trailblazer

I just feel like a wuss nailin' the throttle with a thumb setup...

Old 04-29-2004, 09:17 AM
Pro Rider

WIth the mrhp46vh under hard accel when the throttle blade is shut, the engine pulls so much vaccum that it takes a good amount of
effort to open it back up(i cant speak for any other thumb throttle assembly but the modded stock one, so the moose or one of the billets may have a different pivot point and added leverage). This makes it harder to modulate the throttle during a wheelie, it still can be done, but takes more effort. That is the first thing I noticed with the twist, not only is it easier to on-off the throttle, but personally I fell more in control. I got it from the same person who makes all this stuff work, mrhp. He was the one who reccomended the twist, thats what he runs. I ran mine on an asphault drag strip the other night and thats what really helped me decide to make the swap launching my 04 with some mods at stock height on knobbies wanted to wheelie pretty bad. Now that I have a twist, I think that it will be easier to keep the front end down and should drop my ET as well. On an ending note, I had noticed with the stock modded thumb you pretty much have a twist throttle anyway as much as you have to twist your wrist to get the blade to open all the way up. This is a good sized carb!
Later
Justin

If you think you would like the twist, go ahgead and try it you probably will.

Old 04-29-2004, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider

one slightly used moose billet throttle for sale.

Old 04-29-2004, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

Hey guys, in case you didn't read the other post going, the high vacuum can be cured at idle. For a long time, nobody ever compained about such a thing, then about a month ago, several made the same statement about idle stiffness. I personally had never felt it, so I didn't know what they were talking about. Mr HP scratched his head on this one for awhile, then figured out that it started about the same time he found "new" power with some different needles, needle settings, and power jet combos.

Now, on all the carbs he's tested, he found that he could richen the needle a turn or so, open the vertical idle fuel/air circuit to 2.5 turns out, and turn in the horizontal idle adjustment in to get the idle back up at a slightly higher idle and the "closed shut" throttle magically went away!

Why? because the vacuum on the slide is already being broken with the idle screw turned in (thus, the slide is higher and pressure is relieved under the slide).

It is worth a try before going to twist throttle if you like your thumb throttle because mine doesn't do it at all!

Old 04-29-2004, 01:04 PM
Range Rover

It doesn't look like too many folks still have their stock carbs on, but I was wondering if the motion pro installs easily and works fine with the stocker?

Quick Reply: Just installed my Motion Pro Twist throtle