CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS 650 at Pismo

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 08:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS 650 at Pismo

I was at Pismo not this past weekend but the weekend before that and there was a black ds 650 bombing up the hill. This guy was keeping up with YFZ 450's no problem and even got them a couple of times with a good start.

Do any of you guys know this dude? Is that bike modded pretty heavily or does this bike do that out of the box. I'm a big dude and was in the market for a raptor but once I saw that, it changed my mind. I'm all about the 650.

Old 05-05-2004, 02:46 AM
Pro Rider
Default DS 650 at Pismo

I too was at Pismo with Blackhawk. When you say racing up the hill, are you referring to comp hill or the drag racing flats at the end of the dunes near the fence? I didn't see much racing at the hill, the hill is a joke and is pointless to race. The drags had a good showing, I think I know of the black DS you are referring too, he had me a Blackhawk beat slightly, he was hanging out with the sparks guy all weekend. As far as hanging with the 450s, maybe the stock ones or slightly modified ones, but most of the 450s out there were smoking and not much was hanging with them. Allot of the fast 450s seemed to have a lot of mods ($$$).

Old 05-05-2004, 03:01 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default DS 650 at Pismo

The winner is the guy who spent the most cash, no matter what ATV. I just like to spend my money once, the DS doesn't break, thus I spend my money on upgrades, not replacement parts.

I think if Sandaholic or I had proper drag racing tires installed we would have taken that guy by a bike or two.

Old 05-05-2004, 12:24 PM
Trailblazer
Default DS 650 at Pismo

When you say racing up the hill, are you referring to comp hill or the drag racing flats at the end of the dunes near the fence? I didn't see much racing at the hill, the hill is a joke and is pointless to race. The drags had a good showing, I think I know of the black DS you are referring too, he had me a Blackhawk beat slightly, he was hanging out with the sparks guy all weekend.
Yeah we were at the drags. That was the guy I was talking about. He was hanging at the top of the hill with those guys. Your right about comp hill. It is nothing like the hills at Glamis and Dumont.

Thank for the help. Thinking about buying a DS and that really helped sway my decision.

Old 05-06-2004, 12:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default DS 650 at Pismo

Goliath,

If you ever want to go riding in so - cal let us all know, you're welcome to come along when we go out or start your own trip. It's great riding with a bunch of guys who all have DSs - it allows you to gauge yourself very well against the other mods that people have done which in turn helps you decide what you want to buy or not buy next.

When drag racing, I don't care if I win or loose, but I'd rather race a DS650 & loose then see what that guy (or gal!) has on their machine and see if I can get some of the same goodies to make my quad that much faster.

Old 05-06-2004, 03:01 AM
Trailblazer
Default DS 650 at Pismo

hey guys just let me know i live like 36 miles from Pizz havent been in awhile and need to break in the new 2 kit just pm me . i should be ready by sat. the 7th ( praying ) oh and yes comp hill is a joke ,but could think about what would happen to your backside and would'nt give it a rest. but there are better hills inthe back if everyone would give they old slope a rest and not group up at the same old place from fri.night-sund morning it just never has time to recoup. but i'll tell you this when all you guys are baking from the hot summer sun i'll be ridding my a$$ off by the coooolll ocean breeze. I love my sand box , it might not be the biggest but it ain't the wors't !

Old 05-06-2004, 12:31 PM
Trailblazer
Default DS 650 at Pismo

If you ever want to go riding in so - cal let us all know, you're welcome to come along when we go out or start your own trip. It's great riding with a bunch of guys who all have DSs - it allows you to gauge yourself very well against the other mods that people have done which in turn helps you decide what you want to buy or not buy next.
Hey Blackhawk thanks for the invite. I'll take you up on that once I get my DS. Hopefully by the end of this month. I currently have a warrior and that would'nt be much of a race. I bought it as my first bike to make sure I was going to be into this sport. But now I have the bug and it's full of sand so I need a good beast for the sand. The warrior is great on the trails we ride up here in the mountains around Fresno but I need more in the sand.

Thanks again.

Old 05-06-2004, 12:36 PM
Trailblazer
Default DS 650 at Pismo

oh and yes comp hill is a joke ,but could think about what would happen to your backside and would'nt give it a rest. but there are better hills inthe back if everyone would give they old slope a rest and not group up at the same old place from fri.night-sund morning it just never has time to recoup. but i'll tell you this when all you guys are baking from the hot summer sun i'll be ridding my a$$ off by the coooolll ocean breeze. I love my sand box , it might not be the biggest but it ain't the wors't !
Hey now no disrespect here for Pismo. I love Pismo. I know a lot of people bag on Pismo but I always have a great time out there. I was just stating that compared to Dumont and Glamis comp at pismo is not all that. I went to Pismo first and during this past winter I went to Dumont. And the comp hill there is amazing. I highly recommend everyone check it out. It was amazing.

But your right. Glamis and Dumont are untouchable during the Summer and Pismo offers the best place to ride sand in the hot summer months.

Old 05-06-2004, 12:41 PM
Trailblazer
Default DS 650 at Pismo

Hey blackhawk I noticed you have and older and newer model ds. What are the major differences between the 2000-2002 to the 2003-2004? Are the older ones just as good? I've noticed I can get a great deal on a 2001-2002. Let me know. Thanks

Old 05-06-2004, 12:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default DS 650 at Pismo

Goliath,

The differences are minor. On a 2001, you'll need to replace the chain roller if it hasn't been already, the stock intake tube needs a couple of metal bands for added stiffness, and the fan can be a problem because on the 2000 and 2001 models it is not rubber mounted. Some people with earlier models have completely removed the fan, others haven't even had a fan go out on them. I took a different route and made some tabs just like you'll see on the 2002 and newer DS650s and mounted the fan that way. By and large the ONLY shortfall of the 2001 is the fan mount IMHO. Even at that, it's still a great machine. The 2000 models aren't bad either, although they need the longer oil filter cover from the 2001 and newer models so that the larger oil filters can be used. The 2000 and 2001 have a slightly different geometry on the front end but I've never noticed any problems with it. (I can't even tell the difference.)

The only super minor issue with the 2002s are the air tube still needs the hose clamps for stiffness.

Any of these years will be a good buy assuming the machine has been taken care of, there is no telling what kind of damage a bad owner can do to any machine, ATV, Car, Truck etc...