CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

BlackHawk's Lectron 46HV Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004 | 07:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default BlackHawk's Lectron 46HV Review

Originally posted by: 1BADRAPTOR
I will have the ride info on my 48Hv Lectron set up for the raptor in a few weeks, i will be running a nitro mix after the break in..
looking forward to hearing about.

Old 05-06-2004 | 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 1prokiwi
Has anybody with the Lectron carb ever dyno'ed their setup before and after adding the Lectron ??

I mean if you already have a K & N Filter , open Air Box , properly jetted stock Carb , slip on muffler , CDI , etc etc ...

do a dyno run , ..

then add the ported intake and Lectron ......and Dyno again ???????????

Then do something really sick and take the Lectron off and put the stock Carb back on and Dyno again .......

Then tell me what u see ???????????

How many different dyno sheets would you like me to fax you!? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

: )

Old 05-06-2004 | 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BlackHawk
Entomber,

Eric has been excellent in keeping touch with me as I spend what little time I have fine tuning this thing. I'd like to call Eric someday, when I have time. These days I'm pretty busy so it's email or nothing.
Sorry man, that wasn't directed at you. Or anybody, actually. I just meant that I think if someone calls or emails, they will get a solution I hope.

My throttle operates flawlessly on the tt track. I'm serious, no different from stock.

Old 05-06-2004 | 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Hightower
it may not be perfect. but its better than any other carb for power. you should just get it over with and go buy one

with out a dought hightower has hit on something that is a fact

What it is, is that Lectron owners need to acknowledge this issue without making excuses for it, just as I have acknowledged the 2 horsepower it makes over a TM45 according to the top tuners for it. Just let the GNCC style riders know that its not the carb for them, instead of steering them the wrong direction. 2 horsepower on the trails is not worth the issue at hand here.
I will be glad to acknowledge that mrhp has about the best tech suport that I have ever came across. so its really not much of a "issue" with me. I really like what this carb has done for my ds. allthough I have never run the tm45. I am sure it is a great carb as well. I also run on dunes only. so it may not be the carb for everybody. but it works for me.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-06-2004 | 08:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: busmechanic
Originally posted by: Hightower
it may not be perfect. but its better than any other carb for power. you should just get it over with and go buy one

with out a dought hightower has hit on something that is a fact

What it is, is that Lectron owners need to acknowledge this issue without making excuses for it, just as I have acknowledged the 2 horsepower it makes over a TM45 according to the top tuners for it. Just let the GNCC style riders know that its not the carb for them, instead of steering them the wrong direction. 2 horsepower on the trails is not worth the issue at hand here.

I will be glad to acknowledge that mrhp has about the best tech suport that I have ever came across. so its really not much of a "issue" with me. I really like what this carb has done for my ds. allthough I have never run the tm45. I am sure it is a great carb as well. I also run on dunes only. so it may not be the carb for everybody. but it works for me.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
I will second that. Mr. hp has great customer service, hes answered every email I have sent, and the carb. is amazing.

Old 05-06-2004 | 08:47 PM
Pro Rider

Okay.... Seems the minor (issue) outweighs the performance of the carb....

And the Stock Carb seems to be ... well, almost inadequate. And I've tuned this thing till I was blue in the face. I think now, it's pretty much right on. But still inadequate.

I HAVE A QUESTION for all the Lectron owners;

I run Mexico (Baja) and dunes mostly.... rarely does my bohemith DS see tight woods or trails. It's always WFO. And honestly I noticed the stock carb makes good power.... but it's nothing scary. I also noticed it takes time to get the RPMs rolling up to the high numbers... As I rarely will scream it to red line or the rev limiter. I mostly will short shift the DS using it's grunt power.

Just how easy is the Lectron to install?
I see post of it being in the $800 range for a "kit". What's the "kit" made up of?
Does the Lectron carb alone give you more of everything (power, response...etc) or is the entire kit that does all this?
Who here rides with a lower octane fuel (87 and down) and hasn't had a problem?
Or does ride with a lower octane and DOES have problems?
I use a twist throttle... any problems with a twist and the Lectron??

It sounds like I need to go out and pick one up, however... I don't want to bolt this 'kit' on and be dissapointed. Nor do I want to pay that kind of money and expect a $2000 performance increase.... ya know what I mean here?? Like... paying $800 and it feels like a $20 boost bottle (that doesn't work in the first place).

Help guys... I'm reaching out. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-06-2004 | 09:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You know, I really do find this so amazing. the slide is crude and cannot be made perfect, you all know it and it doesn't bother you, so that's just fine and dandy. Just because I point out a very SIMPLE FACT that is easy to see with the naked eye with no rocket science required doesn't mean I am talking trash about the carb. We've all seen the charts man, we all know it makes more power, and we also all know MrHP has done all he can to make the carb operate to best that it can. Hell yeah he does a great job, I never denied that, I'm talking about the construction of the Lectron from the Lectron factory, not the intent or quality of workmanship from the guy who sells them, so why do we always have to get all this praise and defense of somebody who has nothing to do with what I'm talking about? I have purchased from MrHP, my service was great, but what does that have to do with anything?? jesus man, come off it already, you guys really dig the MrHP, I'm happy for you and him, but its beside the point.

I'm talking about a slide, not spring tension, which is easily remedied on any carb, including the TM45. You see, I run a TM45 with the pumper, on a thumb throttle, and the tension is not the slightest bit stiff or hard. There may be several people on the forum unsuccessful in getting their TM45 to work the same, but there are plenty of others outside of this forum who have had plenty of easy success. but wait a minute, why did I mention that? Because I never started anything about throttle tension in the first place - I was only commenting on the nasty issue of the slide sticking - both OPEN and closed, and its the OPEN that is the danger here, and if you can't see why then you need to get out more and really ride. go where I go, see what I see, do what I do, and you'll know what's up.

But hey, I'm just a dumb flatlander from Indiana, maybe I'm just full of crap. Its either that, or I'm just wading in it. glad I got hipboots too, but its not duck season here, they're for smallmouth fishing in the river out back and the water is a bit cold still.

Old 05-06-2004 | 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

Uhhhm... okay....

So does anyone wanna take a stab at my questions??!!!
(no pun intended with 'stab' by the way) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Uh, help!

Old 05-06-2004 | 10:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Ok jhonny here it gose !!! any lectron will make your stock carb look funny!!! and they go for as little as 289 then you need a cable and to port your intake for the standard lectron 44 from fast by gast [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Then there is the infamous MRHP lectron 46hv which i belive the whole set up is around 800 $$ which is said to be better!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Then there is the tm45 wich i can't tell you what they cost its been so long since i had one[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
Then there is a 46mm fcr which you don't hear much about it rocks the house and is aprox.400 plus cable and porting
Then there is kms fuel injection which is like 1500 its the mad mans POISION.
Then there is a co out of california that will inject the ds for around 3500 the guy's at tbr can tell you who they are.
Then there is a 46 quick silver that can be moded to fit the ds and the quick silver is the lowend torque king.

But no carb and intake system is going to make the stars and the moon rise they just add to the package[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

And The twist throttle will work with the lectron.
Any carb is easy to install the lectron is probably the easyist to tune
And i have run the lectron on a stock ds with pump fuel and it worked just fine it was not as drastic of a change as race fuel or alcahol get from the carb.

Good luck and enjoy your ds

DISCLAIMER:while the lectron may increase your preformance it is a rot gut drag race carb and is not set up with tolerances to properly clean or prevent particals from entering the slide area and can and have caused drastic accidents.it is the installer sole responsabilty to monitor the carbs safety and preformance levels.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 05-06-2004 | 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Johnnyairtime
Uhhhm... okay....

So does anyone wanna take a stab at my questions??!!!
(no pun intended with 'stab' by the way) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Uh, help!
the install is very easy.
not sure about the exact dollar amount. but, basically for that price you get ported intake,thumb throttle,cable,carb and carb boot.
power is great from idle all the way up. that is my favorite thing about the carb.
I use 91 octane. as I allways have. maybe I will try 87 some day.
I love to fish. mabe I can go smallmouth fishing in Indiana.

Quick Reply: BlackHawk's Lectron 46HV Review