CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Traxter 500 Owners.. Tell Me The Good, Bad, Ugly..

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2000, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took the girlfriend over to the Bombardier dealership and she threw a leg over the Traxter 500. It was red, had chrome wheels, and 27" tires. She liked it... A BUNCH!!.. I must admit, first impressions, I like it too.
While I dont feel that the bike would survive what I do to them, it would be PERFECT for her. I would like to know what you Traxter owners think about this machine. What problems if any, what things you've changed from the factory and why. What you wish was different, What you do with yours. How you ride. What you ride in. I have yet to see ANY Traxters at the local mudruns/events. What aftermarket accessories are available, engine mods? Has anybody snorkeled one for deep water running? Hows the warranty issues? Anything you wanna tell me about it....
Also, somebody give me a brief explaination of the 4WD/AWD system.. More like Polaris? Like Honda?.. Zuki?

Old 07-30-2000, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

OK, Does this mean there aren't any Traxter owners out there?. Does this mean you've found a gold mine and don't wanna share the low down?.
About the only other bike I've been able to get her on is her Scrambler 500. I've tried to get her to a big utility, but she " LIKES THE PURPLE PLASTIC!"
The Traxter is the one bike she's been willing to look at.. I NEED INFO!!... HELP!

Old 07-31-2000, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider

Mudmachine, did you look at YellowFellow's post in here about Bombardier XT'S Outlaw pics? Pretty interesting!

Old 07-31-2000, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider

Irichard,
Thanks for replying.... I went thru several threads on the Traxter, and looked at the site taht one of the Traxter owners has with a Yellow bike goin muddin.
I know on the Polaris quads, every one of them has a plastic lower steering post bushing, (aka JUNK) While there is a fix for this, and its more a nuisance than a problem, it still exist o new machines. There are always little things people find that need changed because of some design engineer who has no clue what we do to these machines. I would be very interested in hearing what everybody has modified.
Again exhaust, snorkels, will it shift reliably at full throttle at max load without lifting off the gas? Whats broke or has to be modified? How the idea of everything in the back is REALLY working? Overheating? How hard is it to clean the radiator after you fill it full of mud? Does it have to power to turn overweight 27-28 inch tires in the nasty stuff? ETC ETC ETC ETC...

Again, Thanks for the reply...

Old 07-31-2000, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

OK, I have had my Traxter for about 10 months, use it primarly for working in the mud, pushing the race cars, nothing comes close to it for ability. The only two ATV units we have gone nose to nose with are the Honda 400 Foreman and the Yamaha Grizzly. The Grizzly is the big joke, with the 400 Honda giving a little better tussel.
Neither are in the same class for work, while both will most likely out run it. If your looking for speed of light in the woods, go away, but if your looking for a work / fun buggy, you will not beat it.
You asked about the AWD / 4X4 well if you put the nose to a tree, you will dig 4 equal hole. In real life, when one front wheel makes a complete trun ahead of the other it locks the differential, I.E. AWL. You got to try it to understand and while others seem to claim all sorts of good news print, The Traxter is the ONLY unit to pull its self off the blocks when 3 wheels are in the air. (This is from a mag I read 6-8 months ago)
Only thing to do is give it a try.
Good luck on what ever you purchase.

Old 07-31-2000, 10:49 PM
Trailblazer

I have an XT. The same machine with more toys. Other than the backfiring problem out of the box, which is not a problem, it has been a great machine. The engine is east to access, the seat is the most comfortable I have sat on, and it will carry a ton of stuff.

The Traxter is no bargain machine. It's big bucks for what it is. I wanted something that gave me a more secure feeling while riding it. My Sportsman was a fine quad, just not for me. If the XT had been available when I bought the Sportsman, I would have bought the XT. The Traxter was exactly what I wanted.

There are probably better values than any of the Traxters. The quality of my machine has been excellent, and my dealer has been great too. I've lucked out when it comes to dealers.

I'd recommend the machine in a heartbeat. I think it's the best looking machine on the market. I love the flashy yellow paint of my XT.

If cash is no object, you're not going to go wrong with the Traxter. If you're looking for the best value, there's better bang for the buck, maybe not a better quad, just more bang!

Happy Trails,

Jack

Old 08-05-2000, 08:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

I never had the chance to try mine the way you
planning with yours.My problems are backfire and
the shifting gear, like many other people as long as I know.I guess Bombardier have to work on this matter.Other than that its great.Also you dont get answear in place and time from the manufacturer when you look for solution.I live in Argentina and I own the only traxter so far,I guess in your case it will be much easy to solve
any inconvinience.In the other hand its agreat machine .Good look.IF you wont send your girl friend,she can try my and give you an opinion,by

Trending Topics

Old 08-05-2000, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider

Sound like a excellent 4wd system everyone should copy it and get away from this 3wd differential junk.