CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

ANYONE HAVE THIS PROBLEM??????

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 04:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ANYONE HAVE THIS PROBLEM??????

My DS will slip out of second or third once in a while. I shift from first to second or second to third and when I apply power it slipps into neutral. The local dealership says it is the shifting forks but when removed they look perfect. The KICKER is even though the bike is still under warranty they will not warranty any work done on the forks (including splitting the case and parts 500$) I am a little pissed[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] about that and the fact that the forks looked good. They say they do not warranty the forks because the only thing that causes problems with these is power shifting. Obviously not true. You are wondering how I know the forks look good??? A month ago a tooth broke off of one of the gears and jammed the transmission. They looked at the fork when warrantying that problem. The problem with slipping out of gear was happening previous to the gear breaking. Anyone have any problems like this. Anyone know anything that would cause this problem other than the forks. I try to make sure and shift more aggressively and it helps but should I have to shift that hard???

Old 06-21-2004, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider

I am worried that the tranny is a "lemon" and things are going to continue going wrong even if I pay to have the forks replaced. Anyone history on this problem or help would be appreciated.

Old 06-21-2004, 08:00 PM
Range Rover

What year is your bike? My 04 regular DS does the same thing once in awhile, and the dealer doesn't want to open it up either. If I make sure that I left off the gas, pull the clutch all the way in, and really get a good pull up or stomp down on the shifter, than it works fine. Not sure how happy I'll be if I really start racing my bike and pounding through the gears, but for now I made sure the dealer has it in their computer, and written down on a couple different service charts.

Lots of different threads on this subject also in this forum.

Old 06-21-2004, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

Yep, lots of experiance. To freeking much to tell ya the truth[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
If your forks are fine then it may be the engagement dogs on the gears themselves. If they get worn (rounded) at all they will disengage from each other under hard load. IF that is your plroblem. Then sending it off to get them replaced and have the entire set "back cut" or some say "under cut" will solve the problem. You can do the R&R yourself and just send out the gears to be reworked.

Thats the route I will be taking here soon.
In my sig I made up a little tutorial on how to. In case you want to do the R&R yourself.

Old 06-22-2004, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider

If it is the forks will there always be definite damage visually.

Old 06-22-2004, 08:01 PM
Trailblazer

I believe i just broke a fork sunday. Mine jumps out of gears a lot to. Its been getting worse lately since i got my Works shocks and started motorcross track riding for fun. Nuetral was allways hard to find on it when i got it used last year. But it jumps out of gears a lot now.

Sunday while loading it on the trailer to go home, it jumped out of first and back in, and made a horible busting noise [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]and snubbed out as i was about to head on to the trailer.??? I started it back up and it grumbled between gears for a bit then poped into first. I felt it through the gears slowly and it seemed fine after that? but it scares me now that something busted and will take out the trans on the next ride. Ive never heard a sound like that in all my years of driving my dirt bike or quads. Im scared to ride it now, so im pulling it to split it this week.

My question is, if my forks are fine, (or if there not) Where do you take the gears to get them back cut? Any machine shop? Or a tranny shop? Help us out here. Where can we get something like this done.? Id rather have it done locally so i dont have to ship parts out... Im ordering 2004 forks and gaskets and ring set wednesday reguardless. I have split 4 stroke cases before, but never had the gears modified..... If i skip the backcut, and it still jumps out after im done with the forks, ill be pi$$ed.. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Thanks

Old 06-22-2004, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

I made the mistake of replacing the forks and a couple of gears without getting them back cut. And the worse part is that I was told to do it while i had it apart. Sorry I didn't listen to you guys. YOu know who you are. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Any who. DuneMe had info on who he sent his to in a thread if ya want to search for it. Also MrHp will also do it. Yes thats correct, he told me that himself. I forget the cost but it was lss than 4 bills.
Might be less if you Do the R&R. I didn't ask him that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

No there will not always be definite damage visually if the forks are BENT or even WORN. Not until you bust a tooth on one of the gears any way. Or you break a fork.
The most common thing is they are bent. If you don't replace them when they start giving you probs. You usually end up breaking one and or break a tooth or two off of a gear.