CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

All Lectron 46 Owners I need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 01:25 AM
Air
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All Lectron 46 Owners I need help

The Lectron may be a better carb but is it worth shelling out another 500 for 2 hp I think not. Every time I post here I am pursicuted for voicing my opinion. Must be time to be POUNDED.

Old 06-30-2004, 01:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

I have a nuetral opinion, I like the tm 45 and 48mm lectron 48, and I think one would see a nice gain when running snorkle tube, open air box and a K&N With the TM carb DIALED IN TO THE MAX for the snorkle set-up, The direct mount carb filter is a big damper IMO, And when I dynoed the carbs back to back I did not use snorkle set-up for the TM48. I believe you could see even more from the tm that way.

Old 06-30-2004, 01:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Air,

I think people who own the Lectrons were more disagreeing with your comment that the Lectron is only good as a drag racing carburetor, which isn't true about the Lectron. If you are ever out west you are more than welcome to give my machine a try & see how the Lectron works when it's done right. I'm sure the rest of the people who own Lectrons would do the same.

I didn't buy a Lectron blindly, I rode a DS650 with one installed first and OMG! the power difference between that and stock was amazing - I knew at that point I was going to get one! At that point I had already tried out The Punisher's DS720 a few times, as well as rode BigBaja's killer 720 just after trying MRDS650s ATV with the Lectron so I'd rode a few quads with extreme power in a very short time frame, and when the Lectron powered DS650 showed so much response for being one of a few differences between my ATV and MRDS650s ATV it was as good as sold.

Also remember that the shape of the power curve means as much as the peak HP does, so 2 HP, doesn't sound like a lot but if the curve is better that could be a whole seperate game. I don't honestly know what the curve for the two carburetors looks like in comparison, I don't image they are too far apart though.

The TM45 is a good carburetor; however for me personally I didn't buy an aftermarket carburetor until April of 2004. That means I was looking at the TM45 as a possible option for three years and three months. All of the reports of results people were getting with it just didn't sound like the carburetor for me. Now that Hightower seems to have found the sweet spot of the TM45 that could be a different story, but by the time he found that sweet spot I'd already pretty much decided for myself that the TM45 was out. (The Lectron wasn't in at that point, but the TM45 was out - heck I was considering the dual carburetors!) Perhaps if Edelbrock had made their carburetor for the DS that may have been a different story all together for me.

Old 06-30-2004, 03:47 AM
Pro Rider

Blk HAwk I'm heading to Sand Mountain NV Friday why don't you bring your self up their an dhelp me dial in this 46HV???? HElp, thx

Old 06-30-2004, 03:48 AM
Pro Rider

sorry about the miss spell a little wine will do you that way

Old 06-30-2004, 09:26 AM
Air
Pro Rider

I am Happy with the HSR. I will pass on the Lectron and save up for the 48 mm injection. When your elevation changes 8,000 ft in less than a hour injection would be a lot better. The Lectron may be the best carb ever invented but I do not believe in it. If I was changing carbs I would go to the twin FCR setup now there is a masterpiece of a carb. By the way a properly setup carb actually needs a Accel pump on a 4-stroke. pure physics. Air accelerates faster than fuel so it momentarily leans out. Most non accel pump carbs attempt to hide this problem by creating an overrich condition in the pilot circuit. at higher revs the accel pump is not as important.

Old 06-30-2004, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider - Oldham Racing
BUILDS THE FASTEST DS's ON THE PLANET!

Want a hot DS, or maybe one of the fastest DS's on the planet? This is the man to contact!

If the carb atomizes fuel properly there is no need for an accelerator pump. Atomized fuel is very light weight and creates explosive throttle responce because the fuel is in suspension when it comes into the combustion chamber instead of rolling in on the bottom of the port.

MrHorsepower

Old 06-30-2004, 07:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I pretty much feel like very few people have ever ran a properly tuned TM45 with an accelerator pump - maybe one in a hundred. Even some of the top TM tuners on this forum that actually are dealers and sell them don't sell them set up with the pumper. RWR is to blame - people complain about the stiff thumb throttle so instead of figuring out how to decrease the tension they just removed the best feature of the carb - the pump - to lighten it all up. this makes the carb suckass IMO. But setup like the manufacturer intended - with pump - its awesome.

You guys will never know how many people have PM'd me telling me of their Lectron problems with sticking slide - and it aint just a pain sometimes, it can be dangerous - yeah that's right two people have told me their Lectron has stuck OPEN - not hard to open mind you - stuck OPEN!!!! SO yeah, this is a drag carb. And to the guys that tell me stuff in confidence but do not post it - that's week man, and lame. Grow some sack.

Old 06-30-2004, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider

I'll admit, since I put a new cable from MR HP (AKA Eric) ONCE it did happen to me that it stayed open but I think it was more my fault in the way I ran the cable. I also had it a bit taught. I learned it's better to have a hair slack in the cable. Never acted up again since.

Air, I'm by no means hammering you or knocking what you say (I've been in that boat and wouldn't do that to anyone). 2 HP more is not a whopping but the whole power curve on the Lectron has made me glad I'm running this carb. If the power gain wasn't impressive on it I'd go back to the stocker cause even with the new cable it's still a bit harder to push than when it was stock. I think any hop up that adds to bottom end is great for trails, not for drags.

Seems like Fuel Injection is the next best thing... I hear a lot of people talking about it. It maybe something I will peer into in the future.

Old 06-30-2004, 09:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: Air
I am Happy with the HSR. I will pass on the Lectron and save up for the 48 mm injection. When your elevation changes 8,000 ft in less than a hour injection would be a lot better. .
Better bring your palm pilot with you on that trip because I don't think any of the EFI systems out now are self compensating.

Quick Reply: All Lectron 46 Owners I need help