CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Where would you move out west?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where would you move out west?

I saw an ad on TV for New Mexico tourist stuff. It did look really nice. Of course they wouldn't show anything bad. NM is like New Hampshire to me. You just never think about it. What goes on there besides outdoor stuff? Like what big cities are you near Fourlix?

I've been thinking about taking some kind of 2 year course in the medical feild. I can't say I'm really drawn to it, however the baby boomers are in their 50's & the medical feild always seems secure.

Old 07-02-2004, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

We are in the middle of nowhere. 150 miles to Las Cruces, 180 to El Paso Texas, 220 to Tucson AZ, 250 to Phoenix and, get this, 280 to Albuquerque, 340 to Santa Fe, 400 to Taos. Arizona and Texas Cities are closer than those in New Mexico. Tucson is a great town, just too damn hot in the summer. Las Cruces is pretty nice too. El Paso just plain sucks. Dirty, crime infested, 8 million people one mile away in Juarez Mexico. Albuquerque is a sh!+ hole too. Crime, bankrobberies daily, the TV show "Cops" was finally kicked out of town,,,,because they shot way too much footage there.
The lowdown on New Mexico is that the Northern part of the state is full of violence, crime and racism.
Not a nice place. The southern part of the state is quite mellow, very different attitude. I know some cops, and there attitude is that in the northern part of the state, when they pull someone over, they expect a fight. In the south, when they pull someone over it is usually "yes sir officer, anything I can do to help?" In the north, the violence has been going on for decades, hippies vs cowboys vs mexicans vs indians. Places like Espanola are particularly bad. The preferred instrument of equality has been the baseball bat for as many decades.
Here in the south there are a lot of blondes with the last name Gutierrez or Valenzuela. There are as many Mrs. Andersons with black hair and brown eyes. The Hispanic population has been here longer than anyone else, many able to trace their roots to Spanish landgrants. Many do not speak Spanish at all, even at home. These are New Mexicans, not recently transplanted Mexicans, and there is a big difference. Anglo/Hispanic ratio is right about 50/50, maybe why it works so well.
So much for the cultural profile. The medical profession sure does have a shoe-in nitch in this economy, especially as it is catering to retirees. Californians coming here can buy a house twice as nice as the one they had in California and live off the difference. The only tax burden in New Mexico is a high personal state income tax, which is highly counter productive as it discourages industry because the decision makers know better than to set themselves up in a state with a high state income tax. One of the vestiges of the traditional Democratic party here and heavy welfare enrollment.
Truth is New Mexico is still a "third world" type state. Unemployment is traditionally higher than other states, although right now it is only 5.5%. We like visiting the outside world, as often as possible, but always heave a huge sigh of relief getting back to this slower, calmer existance.
Unspoiled natural beauty abounds. Though dryer than what most consider Eden, New Mexico has vast forests and mountains, 11,000 foot peaks are in view right out my back door, and I have hiked or 4-wheeled many many spots with a list of adventures not yet done too numerous for one lifetime.

Hmmmm,,,,,that's pretty good.

Old 07-04-2004, 03:30 PM
Pro Rider

ok, it looks as though the tax rates are 6% for Idaho, 6% for Utah, and over 6% for Nevada. Can anyone tell me areas within those states to avoid looking at so I can cut down on the time req'd for my trip? Also, did any of the states near those states have lower tax rates, or even 0% like they have in delaware? Thanks

Old 07-04-2004, 08:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

This web page might help you out.

Old 07-04-2004, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Low recoil, I live about 20 miles south of the Idaho border in Utah. I grew up about 40 miles south of here in The Ogden area. I chose to move up here for my kids. Great schools, great atmosphere. Very religous community though. Its about sixes either way to Ls utah, or St anns Idaho. Its a good economy, just over the Mountains to the east is Logan, one of the best booming communities in Utah. From there, there is everything to do out doors. Lakes, fishing, hunting, snowmobiling, riding, you name it. An hour from bear lake! If you are into the outdoors, there is no place like Northern Utah! From a business stand point, Utah is a very conservative republican state. Great for small businesses. Income tax is a concern, however I have not had any problems with it in my experiences. Good Luck. Jed

Old 07-05-2004, 03:15 AM
Pro Rider

Well this kind of sounds like, well, some adds out there.

But Wyo. does have under 500,000. people in the whole state. And it's big if that helps you out.

4% or 3% or 5% tax here. Depends on were you live, some small towns you do'nt need a buss lins.

I have an $120,000.00 house and have to pay $560.00 a year in taxes. But that's pretty high were I

live at.

$120,00.00 will get you 5 aces and a 4 bedroom house with your own well, plus fenced and no neihbors.

Jobs: Depends on what you know, or how good you b.s.

later

Old 07-05-2004, 03:34 AM
Range Rover

Ah just come to Alaska. We have more room than ANYBODY. If you live out side of the Anchorage municipality then you can ride your wheeler right out of your garage. Now how cool is that. Plus you have all winter to go snowmaching. Those things make wheelers look just plain slow.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 07-05-2004, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the tax link wshrdskin. I'm not looking to be completely out in middle of nowhere by myself. I like the outdoors. I'm just trying to get away from all the drug addicted, alcoholic, liberals (or any combination thereof) that happen to be around here. Crime rate is crazy. From having been to the West coast (Oregon, Washington, California, Alaska, Hawaii), the people, for the most part are different. When going through Alaska and Washington years ago, most people were friendly and helpful. Around here they're not. Violence and drugs in schools has gotten bad too. It's the "what can I get for me" mentality.
Alaska, great as it is, is too desolate. I looked at Wyoming, looks alot like Idaho, but less people. I found a motorcycle dealership for sale in Southwest Wyoming....anyone know which one it may be and have any info on it? It states it's the only one around for 90 miles. Not many job opportunities there from what I can find. Couldn't find many low cost houses either (kept finding huge mega million $ ranches)
Utah may have too much religion for me from the sounds of it. That leaves Idaho or NV, maybe Wyoming depending on if I can find something there. Thanks for all the input so far, it's helping me alot. Moving across the country takes lots of work and preparation.....

Old 07-05-2004, 09:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Got that right about people being frindly and helpful or the lack there of. Nobody stops here in Cali to see if things are ok or if you need assistance. On the other hand, when I was in Montana our first trip I had a flat tire, I noticed it just as we got back onto the highway from 4 wheeling through the back country. I stopped at the only gas station for several miles and while I was changing the tire, 2 different people that happened by stopped and asked if I needed assistance. Everyone I've met in Montana seemed to be the same way. I don't believe there is any taxes in Montana but finding a way to make a living might prove to be more difficult than NV or Id. Good luck, I'd realy like to do as you are but it just doesn't seem to be in my cards, yet. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-05-2004, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Washington

Quick Reply: Where would you move out west?