CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Where would you move out west?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 02:27 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where would you move out west?

Utah is a very nice place. A little more of a conservative and family oriented state. Lots of places to ride whether you want sand dunes, desert or mountains we have plenty of all those places. I kinda hate the cold winters but thats about the only negative I have with utah except for everything closes on sunday

Old 07-01-2004, 02:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CA and OR are too liberal
AZ too hot (for someone from the east coast that grew up in Oregon.)

NV is great for guns, riding and conservative. (Which is ironic with gambling and ***** Houses legal [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] )

Nurse - Only riding buddy I have in NV lives in Reno where his Wife is an Oncology Nurse!

As for guns, I laughed the first time I went to this guys house. They actually had a sign, "Populated area, No discharge of Firearms." (In CA you wouldn't think of discharging a firearm anywhere so there would be no need for this kind of sign.)

I'ld suggest you find out what kind of weather the wife likes and start doing some searches for weather. If she isn't happy, you're screwed. . . or not, if you know what I mean [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 07-01-2004, 09:27 AM
Pro Rider

your Ak-47 would feel right at home in Utah[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-01-2004, 10:49 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have I got a deal for you!!! I just happen to be selling my house.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] You and BlackHawk could be neighbors. It's a beautiful southwestern style on 2 1/2 acres, riding arena and great veiw. I almost left out the best part. Lots of riding and it's located right between Dumont and Pismo.

Old 07-01-2004, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

Utah - I lived there for nearly three years. IMHO - some very nice people - however, I have found that most of them, not all, practice a little too much church politics for me - after being a Mormon for nearly 20 years, I can say that!

Washington - Lived there for 10 years - Nice people in general - A bit wet & cold up north and not much sand.

Oregon - Lived here for most of my life - its all good here - no complaints.

California - Visited at least 50 times. Its a bit too busy for me, you have to watch your back, but great dunes. I wish I could live in Palm Springs or San Diego someday where I could be somewhat close to Glamis.

Arizona - Visited at least 100 times. People are great, but just a bit on the hot side for me. It would be my second choice for a place to live. Dont much care for the Scorpians and Rattle Snakes.

Nevada - Visited at least 35 times. Its on a par with Utah to me.

Idaho - Been there only about 15 times. Seems OK to me - Too bad there is no ocean.

Old 07-01-2004, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider

I'm in Tucson, and love it. We've got so much riding area available, and the heat is really only unbearable for 2 months out of the year. We do alot of night rides when it's too hot during the day. We've got ocean 3 1/2 hours away in mexico, you can ski in the winter, and as mentioned before, Glamis, Buttercup, and Gordon's well are right around the corner!!!

Old 07-01-2004, 09:54 PM
Range Rover

[quote]
Originally posted by: azsandrider
I picked Arizona, the Phoenix area.

. There is no humidity and no mosquitos.

Not really true. Monsoon season can last a couple months. July and August, then it no longer becomes the "dry heat" everyone loves to call it. There are all mosquitos here. Maybe not near as much as in other states, but we do have them, and we do have West Nile here.

Quad1man
DO NOT move to Arizona. If the heat won't kill you, then the Gila Monsters, Rattlesnakes or Scorpions will. Most of the houses are filled with corpses of the people that couldn't handle it. There is NO water, and people stopped bathing in 1992. The state is full of illegal aliens, and some of them are the Greys with the big eyes.

Nope, you don't want to move to Arizona. Them thar people are mean. They'll shoot you just to take their mind off of the heat.

Now California, that's where it's at!

Too Funny!

Old 07-02-2004, 11:10 AM
Pro Rider

Gotta pipe in here. New Mexico hasn't been mentioned once. We have lots of riding, few people, lower taxes, cooler weather, conservative, albeit mostly democratic politics. Now right up front, most of what people know about New Mexico is from the freeway ride on I-10 from El Paso to Tucson, that covers the south, and then Albuquerque and Santa Fe. And that all pretty much sucks. I wouldn't want to live there either. I have lived in Wyoming, (way too freakin cold), Los Angeles (Way too many freakin people), Tucson (Way too hot, taxes way too high). I like Arizona, and the northern part isn't too hot but the taxes are nuts. Also property values are sky high. They think an awful lot of their dirt.

The problem with all of the west is that the economies are just not as strong as the east or the coasts.
A nurse can find work anywhere, but finding your "nitch" out west can be tough. It is a far better place to live, the quality of life etc. But it is tough making a living.

Southwest New Mexico, Silver City area, is pretty nice. Very little crime, nice climate, little winter, little summer, dry, 3 million acres of National Forest, good hospital and medical community ( they have been pitching the retirement thing here for a while, so the medical infrastructure has come along pretty well)
6,000 feet elevation keeps things cool in the summer, even though we are as far south as Phoenix, and only 3 hours from Tucson. We have more than our share of Hippies, but nobody takes them seriously, they smell pretty bad. We do have some environmentalist dipsh!ts, and have to deal with them occasionally.

It is a small community, but has a lot to offer, a 4-year university keeps the IQ level up and kids around town a few more years. The big copper mines throw money around here and there, sometimes doing more harm than good.

Silver City has been ranked one of the best small towns in America countless times, there are only 35,000 people in the county. If you are looking to avoid large cities it is worth considering........

Old 07-02-2004, 12:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

fourlix,

I hear there is a pretty good ATV / Motorcycle dealer out there too, so he could even get parts for his machines there! Silver City does sound like a pretty decent place, noting how you've described it.

Old 07-02-2004, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

hmm, hadn't thought about NM. It looks like most ppl prefer either UT, NV or Idaho. So would you try to move to where all 3 meet? Anyone know what the tax rates are in those states? Any thoughts on quality of schools in those states?

Quick Reply: Where would you move out west?