CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Rear axle carrier question

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear axle carrier question

With some help from people on this site, I was able figure out that my bearings were bad. While waiting for them to be delivered, I took my axle out. As I was pulling the axle out, imagine my pleasant suprise when little metal bearings started dropping on the floor [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Ya, a bearing exploded in the carrier and all that's left is little pieces. The inside of the carrier has grooves in it, presumably from the bearings. The axle has some marks too and wear in the middle. So the questions are:

1. Should the carrier be replaced (I assume so)? If so, how do you get it out?

2. Is it fine to have some wear on the axle or should I replace that too? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Maybe Sally Struthers could do some fund raising for me to get this thing back on the trail????

Old 07-01-2004, 10:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

My buddy had this happen on his 400 EX Recently. Sorry.

He ended up getting an aftermarket carrier with the bearings already in it: about $200
The axel was messed up also so he got a new one and went ahead and went wider: Can't remember what he paid but, it was more than the carrier [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] - Open up your favorite quad magazine and start looking through the ads.

Good luck.

Old 07-01-2004, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

ok, if I have to replace the axle, what manufacturer do most recommend? I found a Durablue one (Eliminator) for $259. Any other suggestions for the axle or the carrier?

Old 07-02-2004, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

is it the carrier that has a groove in it? or the bearing race? the bearings only touch the axle and races. so, a groove in the carrier might not hurt anything. allthough I cant see it, you might have a second look at it.

Old 07-02-2004, 08:28 AM
Pro Rider

I guess I'm confused as to what you mean by a race. When I removed the axle, I stuck my hand inside the carrier to get the rest of the bearing out and then wiped it out with a rag to make sure I got any metal shavings. Then I felt inside and felt grooves at different places (did not feel like intentional manufacturing grooves, felt more like gashes from bearings slamming the inside). As for the axle, it has grooves in it too, although not as bad. It does however look thinner in the middle and more worn. The left side bearing and seal are in many pieces, only thing left intact on the bearing was the lower sleeve of it that slides on axle, all the bearings and top cover were mangled.

Old 07-02-2004, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

i had the same problem on my ds the axle looked like some chewed on it but everyone told me that if the bearings are still tight on the axle that it will be fine. ure enough its running awsome try to just do the bearings 1st if it doesnt work then get the new stuff. ITS WORTH A TRY RIGHT?

Old 07-02-2004, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider

ya, that's it exactly, the axle looks like someone chewed on it. The very middle of the inside of the carrier has the same appearance.

Old 07-02-2004, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

same thing here and mines fine the bearings fit nice and tight and its running fine rides nice [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] its worth it to try it before you go out and spent mad cash on something you might not need right? try it and if it doesnt work then go get the new stuff gives you some time to save

Old 07-02-2004, 09:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The bearings seat inside the carrier, the axle itself does not touch the carrier. If you can, tap the bearings out of the carrier from the inside out, they will come out. Try heating the carrier up in the oven for a little while then tap them out, from the inside of the bearing outward. You'll probably have to attack the bearing from the opposite side of the carrier to tap it from the inside out with whatever tool will do the trick. You need to be careful not to damage the seating area of the bearing race. The race is the area the bearing slides into and seats against. Then you should be able to put in the new bearings and be good to go. I always try to fill the void between the bearings inside the carrier, around that part of the axle with grease, just because, heard it was a good idea, helps keep stuff out they may find its way in there. Hope it all works out for you.

Old 07-03-2004, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

races look fine, and they are still in carrier. Only damage was to carrier and axle but in the middle of both where nothing touches them so I may be fine just replacing the bearings and seals. The bearing blew out in the middle of a 26 mile rock crawl so the pieces did some damage but hopefully can save some $ now for tires [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Rear axle carrier question