CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

modded ds not much faster than stocker?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default modded ds not much faster than stocker?

i went up to wiscosin with some buddies to ride yesterday. One of them rides a 2000 DS that has def been put through its paces. (completely stock, except for some 22 inch rear hole shot xcts)
where as my bike has pipe/KN/ported intake/big gun cdi/clutch springs. and jetting that im pretty sure is close.

It was just raining, so it was really wet. (im betting that would have somthing to do...as my stock ohtsus only have like 70% tread left)
The person i was racing didnt have much riding time on the DS (usually rides a warrior) i raced twice, usually after first gear i would pull away (im geared 15 front stock 20 rears) but would only get like 2-4 bike lengths on him. I thought ok we will switch...so im on the 00 ds and my friend is on mine... well he takes the holeshot, but im assuming because im a better rider i was only one bike length behind him.

how should my mods usually compare to a stock DS? I will try to drag again on pavement/dirt and see what happens, but it worries me that that much money in mods only does that much against a stocker. (although my throttle response is better than his, as well as my power band is larger than his (can feel more torque on the bottom)

I wouldnt mind taking my DS to the dyno once i get my new carb, that way i can see if im not putting out much power, or what the deal is.

Old 07-04-2004, 01:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider

it seems when you spend money you would like to see a quad length for every 100 spend but it doesn't really work that way. it sounds about right for what you ahve done.

Old 07-04-2004, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

thanks for the responses to all of my 50,000 threads lol.
Alright, i think ill try it again on dry dirt that way traction shouldnt have as large of an impact.

its annoying because my buddies (the dad has the DS and the two sons have yfz's with pipes) always give me crap about how ive put all this stuff on my DS, that first off only runs 70% of the time (without problems...) and still isnt much faster than the stock one.

Old 07-04-2004, 01:54 PM
Elite Pro Rider

your ds only runs 70% of the time?

Old 07-04-2004, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider

well, more like I only run it 70% of the time.... jetting issues, i still have to deal with the one way bearing thing (if that is even the problem) and then now this clutch issue.
i wish i knew someone local that had a lot of time inside the DS engine, and could just pay them, and maybe watch (to actually LEARN) instead of giving it to one of the two hillbilly Bomb dealers within an hour away. (who i dont hardly trust with my machine) pretty sad when i trust my DS engine to a yamaha shop that has never taken a ds apart, over two pretty large bombardier dealerships. (you walk in, and unless you tell them you want to buy somthing, its like you have to BEG For anything to get done)

Old 07-04-2004, 02:18 PM
Elite Pro Rider

get a shop manual the ds engine is pretty easy.

Old 07-04-2004, 02:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The thing is. . . no one wants to go inside their engine so, they buy a pipe, air filter, Jet kit, etc.

A high compression piston and cams added to what you have. . . you will blow the competition away. That is some serious power increase.

But, I hear what you are saying. I have some of the best in the business in my back yard and have learned a lot by working with them on my engine.

If you end up going to the next level, they won't give you a hard time after that [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-04-2004, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider

i think i need to take like an entire day, and just sit down and open up the DS cases. Is there anything that is tricky, or where you have to have a lot of know how to put back together? i probably wouldnt open the left side case (unless other then checking the clutch i had to for some reason)

Old 07-04-2004, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider

dune me, most seem to think that i would want the bigger carb first (no point in having gas sucking mods, if i cant deliver the gas)

also just read high comp. pistons can actually be detrimental to performance?

what would a set of cams cost, and do for me? what would a piston cost/do for me? (i def dont want to buy race gas....as long as i can run pump (whehter it be 87 up to 93 is fine) but dont really want to run alky/nos/race fuel

Old 07-04-2004, 03:01 PM
Elite Pro Rider

if you still have the stock exhaust head pipe you might want to try that over the mbrp.

Quick Reply: modded ds not much faster than stocker?