CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Turbo's at the Cinders

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo's at the Cinders

I think one turbo had 10 paddle and the other 9 paddle

we had 8 paddle which was too much for our bikes in the Cinders

Old 07-08-2004, 09:25 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: PredFan
Have any of you guys tried racing up the huge red bowl behind $100 hill? The red side of that bowl looks crazier than $100 hill.
Yes, I've been to that bowl too. Seen a rail come over the top down that side a little fast and hit that rock shelf, and end overed all the way down. Wasn't a pretty sight.

Are the Rangers up there allowing any open flame at all? I picked a bad time to go up last year, they didn't even want anyone using a coleman stove. No open flame at all. I assume it's the same right now?

Old 07-08-2004, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are going to a desert race in new mexico this weekend ill see if we can get some video together so you can see what the turbo does on the flats. Should be a fun weekend.

As for my bike setup I have a stock swing arm and I was running a set of 9 paddle 20 in haulers I borrowed from KMS. +2 A-arms and desert tank. With 7 lbs of boost. Win or lose it was a lot of fun. I look forward to doing it again

Old 07-08-2004, 11:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

What fuel are you running for the turbo? Pump 93 or race fuel??

Old 07-09-2004, 12:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

All the turbos are alcahol right now!!! And when they take off good even 760's become cat nip for the stock turbos !!! there will be some drag setup turbo's soon that will be unrivaled but right now all the kms bikes are as stock as can be "they won't let me have my way with them" As curtis said they want people to see what they get for power not what we can do with suspension and setup [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] I insisted on the swing arm for saftey the weekend of the 4th. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] I took ray's bike up 100 dollar hill once Then took my nut's off and put them back in the glove box and did not attempt that again the rest of the weekend.One must remeber the red ds is one minus what were all used too[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 07-09-2004, 02:03 AM
Pro Rider

couch- yeah no campfires, but we were able to use our propane grill. it was pretty dry, Labor day is going to be nice with all the dust settled.

bigdog - good luck at the races, you will get the whoops you've been wanting[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] tear them up

azsand - i didn't know they were on alcohol, that make me feel even better. those bikes are going to be flying very soon, this is the closest I'll ever be...

Old 07-09-2004, 05:53 AM
Elite Pro Rider

All this talk about the turbo DS's is good but a little funny. Scooby has built the ultimate Turbo DS ( got wrecked on the hiway sitting on the trailer) and never got this attention with a lot more HP than these 2 produce. At the 2nd annual ATPT drags he dusted everyone from start to finish until a small problem in the final round ended his day. For a long time before those June races you actually had a chance with scooby. The shorter the race, the better your odds were. After 500 feet he would blow past you 20 mph faster than you were going and still accelerating. His DS was fuel injected/intercooled/turbo and mean. Cost a little bit more than the 4000 dollar price tag of these but... the pieces looked good.

The turbo raptor that trinity showed up with at FSW2 with a dinky intercooler and stock carbs looked real cheesey. ( never made it to the top of olds hill) It caught fire after 100 feet. The intercooler on it looked like my chevy pick up heater core.

The turbo is going to be the future( hill shoting) but not for everyone. From looking at videos, turbo lag must be major issue so far. Bet that would be a handful on a trail ride.

What about a turbo kawi 780? Automatic? Launch with boost? That might be the hill shoter and heavy like the DS to boot.

Old 07-09-2004, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider

14mins,

you make some interesting observtions, true scooby was the first to have a turbo DS and it was a rocket ship, I think the difference here is that after 3 years
of hearing about his bike there are still a relatively few that have actually seen his bike run. This is the second set of videos showing the new generation of turbo bikes run and now people can actually see how they run. This makes for great bench racing [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] and hence the increase in attention. What scooby built was amazing but you need to be a rocket scientist to run or duplicate his accomplishment. Hats off to Scooby!
Now that folks can see what the KMS crew has been working on for the past 2+ years people can actually stop dreaming of harnessing the power that turbos offer and actually have one for less than the cost of a full race motor that has .....get this.... ADJUSTABLE POWER. All this talk about (not wanting to take anything away from RAPFAM) "I shouldn't be this close to a turbo bike" is kinda got me scratching my head, the beauty of a turbo bike is that you can adjust the boost and tailor the level of power where you want it. ( or what you have built your motor to handle) These two turbo bikes are in the low to medium boost range 7psi ( the desert racer) and the KMS shop bike @ 11psi. Scooby on the other hand tell us that he runs around 20psi. Do you honestly think that these bikes are at the top of their racing game? From what I see and knowing that the KMS bikes get out and go play regularly they are very reliable and powerful even at relatively low boost levels. Low boost = longevity and more fun!
The upper end of performance is yet to be determined, but I honestly believe that within a year or so we'll see a 140HP raptor or DS that will be turbo charged. As 14 mins stated, the turbo bike is the future and will be the equalizer in the battle with the ring dings.

As far as driveability or "Lag" goes my bike is awesome in the dunes from putting around to racing the hills it is exactly what I had hoped for , there isn't any lag, waiting for the turbo to spool and built power, as you wick the throttle open the power is just there, you don't have to wait. You need to realize that the turbo acts as a restriction to the exhaust gas and as such you also realize that that is gonna cost you a little lowend response, that is just the nature of turbos, but that isn't lag.
As scooby has suggested, he revs his bike up a little to built boost out of the hole and I'm sure that would improve hole shots, I have't experimented with that yet but it sounds like it has merit.
All in all I wish the turbos had been here 4 years ago, would have saved me a ton of $ in the different engine combos I've tried, they really are bang for the buck.

Old 07-09-2004, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Majorecho

All this talk about (not wanting to take anything away from RAPFAM) "I shouldn't be this close to a turbo bike" is kinda got me scratching my head, the beauty of a turbo bike is that you can adjust the boost and tailor the level of power where you want it. ( or what you have built your motor to handle) These two turbo bikes are in the low to medium boost range 7psi ( the desert racer) and the KMS shop bike @ 11psi. Scooby on the other hand tell us that he runs around 20psi. Do you honestly think that these bikes are at the top of their racing game? From what I see and knowing that the KMS bikes get out and go play regularly they are very reliable and powerful even at relatively low boost levels. Low boost = longevity and more fun!
I honestly thought I was going to be half-hilled, honestly. I didn't think we were anywhere close to being able to run with them??? I know what you are talking about with reliability and longevity, that is why I built my bike with a low compression motor, it may not be the fastest but I will be able to run all day for a long time, plus I will save some money on gas, 91 octane is cheap[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I know that they are not at the top of their game yet. Me and my dad talked with kelly for about an hour after the races. No need to "scratch your head" I just was stating that I was impressed with how we did, that is the first time I have raced a turbo, or really anyone besides my dad with my new build.

Old 07-09-2004, 11:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Scooby the PHANTOM!! LMAO. He is all to real here at LS OKLA.

KMS is doing the right thing though, in business you want YOUR product to be the main focus. So I can understand them not wanting those DS's stretch'd , lightened, or anytype of "drag" set-up. This way people can see "real life" comparisons of what they will get for thier money, and thats the way it should be.

So basically you can say the KMS turbo set-up(low PSI) is comparable to the high compression Sparks 686, and the Craycraft 730 (low compression) motors. But the KMS turbo set-up has the potential to go from MILD to WILD in just a few minutes.

Bigger.

Quick Reply: Turbo's at the Cinders