CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

got cover off, need part numbers (also have cam tensioner question)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got cover off, need part numbers (also have cam tensioner question)

i dont have my new parts manual yet, so i cant look it up myself. I think 2-3 others have just had this problem, so i was hoping someone still had the part numbers.
I had to take vice grips to the actuator (actuator is the part that sticks out of the top of the case right?) well it stripped most of the teeth off of the top...got it open, to find that it was missing a tooth on the bottom of that shaft, then the splined shaft that sticks out of the clutch basket, is also missing a tooth...

so i need both shafts.... i pulled the one out of the case (just the e cilp) looks like the other comes out after you pull the e clip?

anyone have the stock part number for the clutch cover gasket? (suppose i may as well replace it...)

for those of you who stripped teeth, how did you clean out the metal shavings? i will try to get most out with my finger...will the rest eventually go to the drain bolt magnet?

also, one of my other possible problems (starter noise) we figured out to be either the cam chain tensioner, or the one way bearing.... i was looking on the inside of the clutch cover...is that black plastic thing the tensioner? how do i check to see if it needs to be replaced?

where is the one way bearing? (i assume its on the right side case?) just thought i would go ahead and fix/check everything while the oil is drained...

Thanks guys (hopefully once my problems are fixed i can spend money on MODS not replacing stock stuff...lol)

Old 07-08-2004, 08:40 PM
Pro Rider

The cam chain tensioner is to the left of the intake manifold, behind the large hex-shaped plug.

Old 07-08-2004, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider

ok, looks like thats another days' fix.
Im leaving tomorrow to go to CA for 2 weeks, and was hoping to order the parts, so once i get home i can put it back together.

anybody? (really wish i had that parts/shop manual now )

Old 07-09-2004, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider

^^^ BUMP BUMP ^^^

Old 07-09-2004, 03:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

the chain tensioner is hydraulic, its easily replaced if its bad, it just sits under that hex cap DCRyder mentioned.
Do you here the chain slapping? What makes you suspect it to be messed up?

the one way is mounted behind the flywheel, under the right side case on the stater side. you gotta have a stator puller tool ($35) to remove it.

So what's up, why the suspicions?

Old 07-09-2004, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider

well my starter (not THE starter, but when the engine turns over) it has started with a LOUD noise....like a metal on metal or metal on plastic...kind of hard to expliain.... so a fwe thought maybe my tensioner was loose, and the chain was rubbing?

then the second problem, is when starting, sometimes it will just STOP (even with starter button on,but probably due to weak batt) it will stop, and then make a loud snapping noise... which others figured was my one way bearing.

sounds like i can do the tensioner my sel, but will have to take it to the shop to have the one way done.

Old 07-09-2004, 12:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Roost Go to www.hpresearch.net then look at contact info

Old 07-09-2004, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

are you saying mrhp would stock this, or would just know the numbers? im leaving today anyway, so looks like its gonna have to wait till i get back.

Old 07-09-2004, 01:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Not MRHP but his stocking HP Reaserch Part Dealer would

Old 07-09-2004, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

wooo...finally ordered the parts.

not cheap either... 42 for the clutch release shaft, and 33.50 for that gear rack/actuator part.

hopefully i dont break it again soon...

would 40% springs help prevent future breakage? im running the 60's now and assume thats why they are so **** to snapping teeth off.

thanks for the help guys

Quick Reply: got cover off, need part numbers (also have cam tensioner question)