CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

12 volt aux. power outlet for GPS

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 12:18 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I were you- I'd just hard wire in a universal DC jack pack- then you can just buy an adapter pack and plug in any tip you need- like in this pic (which is pretty much what i did) just cut off the plug end and hard wire it to any 12volt source (or the battery)
you can buy the kits at radio-shack for cheap money and it'll take all of 20 minutes to wire in.
Then you can use and charge any device you want, and it will be forever compatable by just buying a $3 jack to plug into the cable in the future-

Old 08-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeb53
I have been using an adapter I picked up on line from AmericanCrossroaders. It connects to a 2 pin battery tender type connector and provides me with USB power at the other end of the adapter. So far, it has worked perfectly on my sled, ATV and motorcycle.
Mike thats what I did on most of my bikes very easy and no problems plug n play!

Old 08-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beergut
yeah- you can go that way too-
I'm just not a fan of using the bulky 12v sockets-

they tend to rust up with all the mud & water splashing in them, and the moisture collects in them during the winter and freezes, which makes it a pita to get a good connection. They also tend to collect a lot of sand and crap even with the cover on it- and they always fall out or get lose when riding over rough terrain (maybe not such an issue with a sport quad)

I can remove my gps from the atv no problem- just have to unplug the gps from the wire, but the wire connector stays on the atv. Then, I can tuck the wire under the plastic when I'm not using it. Only one skinny wire to the gps- no big wire mess to get caught up on in the bush.
as you can see in the pic- I dont even use my 12v socket.

on another note- my outty 800 comes with a beefy stator and can handle a couple extra electronics- but most atv stators hardly have enough to charge the battery when the lights are on- plugging in too many electrical accessories will easily drain a battery and leave you stranded- actually happened to me on my KQ700fi a few years back.

I think you are missing what I tried to explain. I do not have an electrical outlet to worry about filling with mud and corrosion. This is a "plug and play" that all traces of it are gone when I don't need it. This thing is the size of a disposable lighter and only draws 1 amp for powering my stuff.
Go look at it: www.americancrossroaders.com (that is where I picked mine up from). Been using it on all my toys for a year now without any problems.