CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Camelbak?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camelbak?

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I like the grab bar pack and water bottle plan. Hightower, how would that pack fit an aftermarket grab bar?
I think I might go with a fanny pack for the cell phone, GPS and camera.

Old 08-06-2004, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Camelbak?

Originally posted by: mystereid
I'm looking for a way to carry water and a camera, I don't really like the idea of carrying a camelbak since I don't use a chest protector and I think it will rub and bounce around. I'm talking about some pretty active riding. Does anyone have experience with these things. What do you guys use to carry ?
I put a disposable camera in my camelbak and with the stomach and chest straps. It doesn't move hardly move at all. and once you have it on you forget it's on. I love mine.

Old 08-06-2004, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default Camelbak?

I got tired of my drinks getting beat to hell in my 6pack rack on my Banshee, so I started using a Camelback. It's really nice to have ice water WHILE your riding!!!
I've used mine for awhile now. I have the H.A.W.G. system...96 oz of cool ice water... I've put all sorts of stuff in my bag, and never had a problem with it. There is a strap that goes around the front, across your chest, that keeps it in place. I usually have a butt load of stuff in mine...right now I have a tow strap, an extra headlight harness for my 400EX, fuses for my 400EX, some open end wrenches, wet wipes, matches, jerky, cashews, a desert hat, knife, 2way radio, Penlight, and a couple dollars in change rolling around.
You could keep a camera pretty secure in one, that's for sure.
Justin

Old 08-07-2004, 01:39 AM
Trailblazer
Default Camelbak?

I use one by outdor products I think it is an Walmart brand. It holds a bunch of water and it has 5 seperate pockets for Stuff. I try to bring my digital where ever I go. The two straps keeps it well in its place even racing up a whooped out hill.

Old 08-07-2004, 02:08 AM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Camelbak?

I also have the Camlebak H.A.W.G. System. I have own a few different water packs and this is the best by far. The water pack is in a seperate compartment, next to you back - it help keep you cool a little. This pack also has nice thick and wide padded straps, this way you can tighten them up when ridding hard and you wont even know it there.
Also it is nice to have the hose to get cold water from when ridding. I take a few quick sips when ridding with my helmut on. No need to stop get out a bottle ect. ect. ect.

Old 08-07-2004, 05:56 AM
Trailblazer
Default Camelbak?

The military issues out the Mule its pretty nice it has the strap to go around your waste and two pockets to store stuff. It's not that big which helps out alot I think i have 4 camelbaks to date and only paid for one the army just keeps giving them to me.

Old 08-07-2004, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default Camelbak?

I suggest keeping your camera separate from your water. The camera should be located on your belt for easy and secure access. Lowepro makes many different small and tidy camera bags with belt loop hooks. The camera be retrieved very easily via the zipper closure.

I've had a camelbak for a while and like it. I just cant imagine how it would feel with the extra weight of the camera back there.

Old 08-07-2004, 03:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Camelbak?

Gary,

I'm very interested to read the article about them supporting the tree huggers.

I also use a camelback (the real tree-hugger supporting brand unfortunately) and I do not use my chest protector and it's never been a problem. I've carried my camera and all sort of other stuff in it no problem.

One thing I'd like to suggest though:

You can get CHEAP digital (or film) cameras, so why not just get the smallest cheap one that has decent picture quality - that way you aren't worried about your $300 - $2000 digital camera bouncing around in your bag or getting smashed if you take a spill. I've seen cheapy ones for as low as $30 (digital.) And I know for a FACT that all of you people have computers, so you CAN use a digital camera!

Old 08-08-2004, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default Camelbak?

Originally posted by: BlackHawk

One thing I'd like to suggest though:

You can get CHEAP digital (or film) cameras, so why not just get the smallest cheap one that has decent picture quality - that way you aren't worried about your $300 - $2000 digital camera bouncing around in your bag or getting smashed if you take a spill. I've seen cheapy ones for as low as $30 (digital.) And I know for a FACT that all of you people have computers, so you CAN use a digital camera!
Do you have a cheap digital camera with decent quality that you can recommend? I'd like to start taking pictures of me and my buddies having some fun jumping and stuff. Well after i get my ds back together i mean, lol.

Old 08-08-2004, 04:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Camelbak?

I don't have any specific brands, but here is what you'll look for:

sequence mode - this will allow you to hold down the button, and take one picture ever half second for 5 seconds (at least on my expensive camera) that way you can get good action shots.

If you can't find a cheapy with sequence mode, you'll either have to get VERY good at predicting when to take the shot (there is a short delay with a digital camera between button press and picture taken) or just take normal stills.

1.3 megapixels is probably fine - this should be more resolution that you'll need if you are going to use the pics on a computer. Higher resolution is only good for stuff you plan to print.

size - you know where you have to put it, so make sure it is small enough to fit and be comfortable. If the only thing you put in a hip pack is a small camera, it should be a good option. Never fill a hip pack very full or you'll regret it.

removable vs. non-removable memory: non-removable memory is cheaper, however you'll have a very limited number of pictures you can take. removable memory is best as long as there is a cover over the slot so no dirt gets in. If you have an option on removable media, get SD (SecureDigital) this is the type of memory more product are supporting, and this is probably the type of memory that will last the next ten years while the others all fade off. As SD becomes more prevelent, it will be a LOT cheaper than the others - it is already down to the same price level as a CF card, but 1/8th the size.

zoom - you wont find a cheapy camera with optical zoom, only digital, which is pseudo zoom anyhow so don't worry much about it. if you get a good camera with zoom, look for 10x so that you can actually zoom in on something not just think your zooming. (my camera is 3x, then I was camera shopping with someone and we looked at 10x cameras - 3x zoom is a joke!)