CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

MX with a Lectron

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 07:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MX with a Lectron

With all the talk about Lectron's making killer hp, I think I am ready to get one. I need to have my head rebuilt and am thinking of going with cams and a carb at the same time. I only ride mx and rarely dunes, and am wondering if this is the carb for this. I have heard a few people say that they are just for drag racing, but I need to control the throttle pretty good to keep from dying. If anyone is using this carb for mx, I would like to hear your opinions. Thanks.

Justin

Old 09-19-2004, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

The lectron web site says for the bomb contact HP Research for bomb lectron needs!

Old 09-19-2004, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider

I was wondering the same, I've heard very bad things about the tm45 carb from wood. the dead spot on bottom end is no good for mx.

Old 09-19-2004, 09:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

there is no such thing as a dead spot on the bottom end of a TM carb. these carbs have an accelerator pump just like the top MX bikes comes with from the factory. the only dead spot they ever had was created by people who modified them wrong and gave them a bad name. set up right they are unbeatable for MX IMO.
lectron would be my last choice for MX.

Old 09-19-2004, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know first hand just what I've been told by people who use to race ds's. theres did not come with accelerator pumps, I guess they were told by wood's that they were not necessary! this was also a couple of years ago.

Old 09-19-2004, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Hightower
there is no such thing as a dead spot on the bottom end of a TM carb. these carbs have an accelerator pump just like the top MX bikes comes with from the factory. the only dead spot they ever had was created by people who modified them wrong and gave them a bad name. set up right they are unbeatable for MX IMO.
lectron would be my last choice for MX.
I agree with you on the TM45. But, I will also say that you can get the Lectron set up for low end - although I have not seen it personally.

Old 09-19-2004, 11:18 PM
sam
Pro Rider

this is my thought to. I love my TM45 the acc. pump works awsome. I got the stiff throttle sofend up and Kicked some a$$. I ride on my track and havent had a lick of trouble[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Sam

Old 09-19-2004, 11:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

yes I agree the Lectron can be tuned for awesome power all the way across the band, and it is king of drags from what most will say.
but its not the smoothest when it comes to slide operation and since MX is not about peak HP there are other choices that are better for this particular arena. the last thing you want is a slide hang-up coming up on a big table-top or double.
the kehein fcr's and mikuni tm's are just better suited.

RWR used to just be into flat tracks and drags, and the pumper for a killer snap off idle was not something they concerned thereselves with. the throttle return spring for these carbs was so stiff, since it was originally designed for a twist throttle, that they started selling the carbs with the pumper de-activated so that they could reduce throttle tension on the thumb. all this accomplished was giving the TM's a bad name for an infamous bog off idle. I've talked to two guys who have gotten mikuni's recently, and they both have the pumpers intact as they belong, and they claim their throttle tension is not too heavy. I can't say for sure, but it seems as though maybe RWR has developed new springs to work well with the pumper on a thumb throttle....
These same TM42's TM45's are being used on the YFZ, and from what I here they rock just as hard on those bikes as they do for the DS.

Old 09-20-2004, 12:49 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

You might also consider EFI, it's a sweet little setup & might be a better alternative. No flat spots, throttle tension is fine, (I've checked.)

My Lectron is still my preference in carburetors, I've got power where ever, when ever I need it.

http://www.kmsperformance.com/

Old 09-22-2004, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

So, hightower, since the tm45 is the way to go and no one sets them up right, when are you free to come to Iowa and set it up for me[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]? The shop that does my jetting uses an EGA to get the air fuel ratio right and is it something that they could handle or do you need to find someone that has worked on these thing a lot before? The throttle pull is not a big deal because I am a big guy, but I can't as was said before have the slide stick shut going up the face of a 50 foot or more double. Thanks for the help guys.

Justin

Quick Reply: MX with a Lectron