CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Complete Heavy Duty Clutch System

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 06:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complete Heavy Duty Clutch System

Is anyone going to come out with a complete redesigned heavy duty clutch system for the DS (inner hub, outer hub, pressure plate, and clutch plates)? The stock cast aluminum pressure plate is a piece of junk - I've cracked several of them. The stock clutch setup doesn't have enough surface area for high HP heavy bikes.

My clutch doesn't last more than 2 or 3 afternoons. It gets expensive and gets tiring changing clutch plates all the time.

Old 09-28-2004, 08:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Old 09-28-2004, 10:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't get it, so many places offer extreme HP motor kits, but none of them have developed a clutch to handle it. Pisspoor bs.
Turbo, NOS, nitromethane fuel injection, 100HP+ motors with no way to hook them to a transmission!

Old 09-29-2004, 03:00 AM
Range Rover

just a suggestion, maybe if the stock stuff can't handle it then i would start designing and measuring up a setup so you could use an extra clutch plate or two with say seven or eight clutch springs rather then 6? then go out n get them made, say maybe use the clutch setup like plates n springs and basket from a cbr engine? if I needed it then i would make it. what's the stock clutch basket made out of anyway? the only time i've seen mine is when i swapped out the springs for a set of 60% springs and it looked like either aluminum or stainless. i'd bet you'd never damage a 4130 clutch basket and a billet 7075t6 pressure plate. I'm just sayin, get in there, measure the hell out of it, maybe adapt a heavier duty setup like off a cbr engine for example, and then go get the custom basket, and hub, and pressure plate machined, heat treated, anodized, polished and then let er rip. i make parts when i can't buy them, or nobody does make them, check out the pics.......................just a thought..... josh...

Old 09-29-2004, 07:31 AM
Pro Rider

maybe I am out in left feild here. but, thisguy makes a lockup type pressure plate for the banshee. it has weights that progressivly push the plates together with rpm.also adjustable. I talked to him about making this settup for the ds. he said that there is to much R&D. and not enough demand for the ds. it would eliminate the need for stiff springs. but, he would need some demand to develope it. its just a thought. he also has lightened wheels.

Old 09-29-2004, 09:17 AM
Pro Rider

The lockout system for the Banshee's are popular - there are several manufacturers for them. They do require a new clutch cover side case as well (that can be a bit expensive). Hinson is the only one that I know of that makes a complete system like Scooby is referring to, but they have NOTHING for the DS. I have the Hinson system for my 440EX, I got the fibers, the extra plates and it works SWEET! - but like so many other things, the manufacturers say that there just isnt the market when it comes to the DS. Convincing these guys to make DS parts is a tough sell. I can tell you with first hand experience, they are correct - the DS market has always been a high risk market when it comes to custom parts. Most of the DS guys are older, and do have more money, but they dont spend it on cool shiney stuff - they are more practical. I doubt there are many guys that would need a clutch like that - probably 20 guys in the whole nation - And then, a parts producer might sell one clutch sytem like that to one of those 20 guys. Lets face it, the sand is full of Banshees, there just isn't that many DS650s out there. I could go on and on with first hand examples of this problem, but ..... you get my point. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-29-2004, 10:09 AM
Range Rover

dalton makes a billet basket for the ds

Old 09-29-2004, 11:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Is it any good and is there a clutch system beside the basket?

Old 09-29-2004, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

Another problem with aftermarket for DS stuff is that there is such a low failure rate of DS parts. Look at all the Banshee parts out there to replace stock parts when builing hp. The only thing I can see helping is that when although there aren't nearly the amount of DS's getting produced per year as other bikes they hold up well and are going to be around a long time. If someone did the R&D now they have a sure market in the future as the stock parts wear out.
The problem with this however is that by the time a rotax starts wearing out parts it will be such a cost to rebuild that I forsee alot more streetbike engine swaps in the future for DS's.

Old 09-30-2004, 02:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Have any of the major Ds builders looked into this. Mr. Hp., Tvi, Pami or Woods?? Could be a money maker.

Quick Reply: Complete Heavy Duty Clutch System