CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

dagree cams?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 05:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dagree cams?

Ive had it done the RIGHT way, If I recall correctly my builder said it took him quit a while. IF done the right way it is worth it.

WHAT UP DEMON?

Old 10-01-2004, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider
Default dagree cams?

i talked to elliot today and he said for the time you would have in it its not worth it. it would be hard to relocate the dowel pin on the cams.

Old 10-02-2004, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider
Default dagree cams?

i just looked at the bom web sight and some of his cams have other holes drilled in the cam....?.. would he shed some light on this subject? i know im dragging this on but dam it i want more hp![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] i know i dont need it but--[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-02-2004, 01:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default dagree cams?

My take on degreeing cams is; unless you have a bunch of dyno time to use, it's not worth it. Why? Because without dyno time you have no idea where the best place to put the cam at. Unless you have the "exact" set-up as some proven dyno'ed set-up you will not know where to set the cam at. In other words, if you have a pipe that likes a certain cam setting, and you change that pipe, it may not like that cam setting any more. Gearing, ridding style, tires, and 50 bazillion other things can play into this. Now you can do this at a timmed track also, but boy does it take a long time to sore out.
Now if you have a dyno, or access to one, that's a different story. Now you can set the cam straight up and make a pull and get a baseline. Then give it 2 or 3 degree's and see if it helps or hurts.
Sure, you can take a few degrees away and you will get more top end, but you will also loose bottom end and that may slow you down? Or maybe not, you might find some time by doing this?
See my point?

Old 10-02-2004, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider
Default dagree cams?

that sounds like a guessing game. you should get the specs from the builder and use those. along with what a dial indicator and a degree wheel.?.?.

Old 10-02-2004, 02:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default dagree cams?

that sounds like a guessing game. you should get the specs from the builder and use those. along with what a dial indicator and a degree wheel.?.?.
Sure, I can and do get the cam specs from the maker. Let me give you an example of why that info is not very usefull. I get the cam specs from the cam maker and lets say they tell me I need to set the cam straight up for the most power. I run this setup at our local track and it make as much or more power than our nearest competitor.
Now we go to a long track and I was getting smoked in the power department. What the hell?? I notice we are getting pulled from the middle of the chute to the end of the chute (top end power). I say to myself what are these people doing that I'm not? Now I'm looking at jetting and timming and valve lash and a bunch of other stuff. Everything that I looked at was on the money.
Time to do some covert talking and see what the competition is doing!!! So I ask around and low and behold I find out that the people that are smoking me are playing with cam timming. Cam timming, hmmmmmmmm????

Now how can this team make more power when the cam maker said to set the cam straight up? Different conditions, that's why. On a long track if you can keep your corner speed up you can use the top end power.

Now I said the cam maker said to set the cam straight up for the most power. That is really, a bad statement. You don't really make more power, in reality you just push the torque curve around. So if you need more low end, you advance the cam and if you want more top end power you retard the cam. (I think I got that right? LOL)
All of this stuff I do relates to cars; but the samething holds true for race cars, quads, bikes or bar stools!!! Most of the people on this board that are doing real good in the racing game are doing one set type of race. In other words, the people that drag race do only that with one quad. They don't drag race and MX the same quad. And they only run one length of course. This way they can set the cam where they want it and forget it. I can guarantee you the the top people in this sport have played with their cam timing and have got the torque curve just right for the racing that they are doing. The only way to know where to set it at is lots of track testing and- or dyno work.
If you are involved in some serious "timmed" racing, then yes, you are going to need to play with this stuff to get the most of your cam and set-up.
Other wise, you would proabably pick up more time by running a 1/2 a gallon of gas in the tank instead of 4 gallons when you race your buddies.

That's my 2 cents on this subject. Sorry for the ramble, LOL.

Old 11-08-2004, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default dagree cams?

i did this for cardiac. (bump)

Old 11-09-2004, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.
Default dagree cams?

shmee, Thanks for the bump and the info in it. I am not really into playing with the cam timing in hopes of a little more power, I just need to correct the problem someone created when they shaved the head and decked the cylinder to try to make more compression. There is a local machine shop that does a lot of Harley work and I am going to see if they can help me out.
Thanks again.