CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

any shock guru's?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any shock guru's?

just got the works triple rates put on. i weigh 205 and with full gear about 215. i ordered them for my weight and for aggressive trail riding and occasional mx. they are on and they seem stiff as he##. they also raised my front end up a few inches. when i sit on the bike it does not even budge. they are triple rate w/o rezzies. first question. can i adjust them? 2. can i bleed off som of the nitrogen at the little valve at the top?3. will they loosen up over time? anyone got some answers, i would appreciate any comments. thanx.

Old 11-21-2004, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

I have Works triple rates with rezzies..........no problem with them, matter of fact, I need to stiffen them up.
Do they have a preload setting on them? (Big adjustment nut that you use a spanner wrench on) Sounds as if they are too compressed.

Wish I could be of more help.
Good luck.

Old 11-21-2004, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

i did not check to see about a pre load setting. ? does yours have a preload setting?

Old 11-22-2004, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

The great thing about works shocks is that you can call them up and get what you want. I went through many spring combinations and sending the shocks back for revalving at least twice on several Works shocks we've had. That's a good thing.

Sounds like you are set up way too stiff for your real needs. All these shock companies ask lots of questions as to how you are going to ride, how heavy you are etc. But people describe things differently, and these guys have to interpret what each customer says and come up with the right springs and valving. So lets talk about you and your spring/valving needs....

"i weigh 205 and with full gear about 215. i ordered them for my weight and for aggressive trail riding and occasional mx. they are on and they seem stiff as he##."

By that description you made of yourself and your riding style I would have set you up pretty stiff too.
But you don't like it, and you obviously need to go softer. You might enjoy a lower ride too, with zero preload and a very light top helper spring for some real sag. Your main spring may be about right, probably a #210. Your middle spring may also be pretty stiff, like a #500. With all your springs set stiff, it really defeats the idea of a triple rate shock. I am trying to remember all the springs I went through, I ended up with a combination of very light top spring for lots of sag, with a #240, I think middle spring and a, geez I am trying to remember, We can do a search of some old posts and get it exact, but you get the idea. The spacers underneath the helper springs are critical too. Don't bleed your nitrogen out, even a little, work with the springs.....I'll do a search and get back to you.

Old 11-22-2004, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, it's the #240 lb. 2.8" spring, also available in a 2.2, but the DS takes the 220 lb 11.7" mainspring, with the #240lb 2.8" with a #500 lb. 1.3" on top. This is a very plush set up that smooths out all the bumps and will still land a pretty big jump, as much as you would want to do on a DS. This will lower the front end, but keep it from lifting in corners, and that is even with 23" & 22" tires. It is the #240 lb spring that soaks up the bumps, I bet you already have the other two springs. Pay attention to the spacers under the helper springs, Works can talk you through it. Be sure to use zero preload when you are putting the shocks back together.

I am no longer using this setup, but I wouldn't mind going back to it. I had this setup on my '01 DS, and I am now on an X with the gas shocks. The X shocks are pretty good, especially once they get a few miles on them.

I have completely overhauled Works shocks, revalved, recharged etc. and am a Works shocks dealer but we don't sell many, and service even less, most people deal directly with Works, it is their product, they provide excellent service and pretty quick turnaround.

Old 11-22-2004, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

alright fourlix. you have helped me greatly. my shocks have the blue main spring and the two smaller ones are both white. i have had these for a month and a half now but just put them on due to the fact that i am in the navy and was out to sea. my questions are if i send them back will they fix them for free? if not what am i looking at for getting them right? i dont want to spend a arm and a leg. i wish they would have came right to begin with. the shocks are brand new and only been rode in my yard for 3 minutes. is this a fix i can do myself? you said to make sure pre-load is set at zero when i put them back together. do you mean me or when i have them put back together. also i really need the shocks by dec.15. i dont know if i send them back that i will get them in time. i got alot to think about........ thanx

Old 11-22-2004, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider

You could send your shocks back, but better to just buy the #240 lb 2.8" springs and change them yourself. Zero Preload means adjusting the shock so that at full extension the springs just barely hold the retainers on. That means when you go off a jump and your shocks are fully extended--they don't just fall apart! Zero preload is a no-brainer. You will need to have the correct number of spacers under the appropriate spring, but you probably have enough spacers on the shocks as they are, you will just be changing the one spring, and the spacers should be pretty close. Works can talk you through this, talk to Sandy, tell him Alex from New Mexico sent you......You can call me at 505-534-0707 or email me at alex@atvmountaincycle.com if you have any questions. This is pretty easy, just remember what order the springs and spacers come off your shocks as you dissassemble them. Do one at a time so you can use the other as a model,,,,just in case......

Old 11-22-2004, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

fourlix you are the man. i appreciate all the help. today i called works and gave them my situation. i talked to a mark in sales and he was awesome.he said there may have been a mix up or something but they definately sound way too stiff. i am gonna send them back and they are gonna fix them for me. it sucks that i will have to wait longer to ride. my ds has been torn apart since july. but i can wait a few more weeks. thanks for the help.