CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Whats it gonna take?(yfz problems)

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 01:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats it gonna take?(yfz problems)

Hey guys, well a while back I ran this guy on his yfz with my DS, I lost (3 lengths 400' race semi soft sand). He had done the cam mod, removed his exaust baffle and removed his air box lid, at the time I had an FMF exaust, K&N, Dynojet kit. Well this weekend I ran into him again, only now he put on a DMC exaust, a edelbrock carb, and cams. Well my DS is down for a little rebuild so I didnt get to race him but he did let me ride his and DAMN. My question is in this rebuild Im replacing the FMF exaust with a modded end cap(Randall from MRHP dynoed the FMF and said it was crap) adding a lectron 48hv, porting the intake, adding a 12 to 1 piston, 60% clutch springs, Ron woods CDI and also I found out I had a slightly recessed intake valve so Im fixxing that. Now I know I cant beat him but will I at least give him a run for his money. Also what would you guys recommend for my next reasonably priced mod. Thanks for the help/ Input!

Old 12-13-2004, 09:59 AM
Pro Rider

you never know. you might suprise him with what you are doing now. I know I suprised my buddy that rides a banshee when I put the lectron on mine. I beat him every time when I had that carb on.

Old 12-13-2004, 10:06 AM
Pro Rider

I don't know why you could not beat him, being as your mods match his mods, more or less. A cam in your DS would put you equal with him in mods, if you are concerned about losing. What tires are you running? Traction may be more of a problem than power, because with equal mods you should be pretty close. I drag raced a YFZ on Saturday and won 2 out of 2 races. I have a 2005 Viper DS that has an Outerwear style airbox lid, the stock air filter, an HMF slip-on exhaust, and 22" Bandit XC rear tires. The 2004 YFZ had the airbox lid removed, a K&N air filter, an HMF full system, and the stock 20" YFZ Dunlop radials. We did 200' drag races on soft damp sand, which should have favored the lighter weight YFZ, but my holeshots were better, and he could not catch me. I simply pinned the throttle at the starting line, and when the engine hit the stock rev limiter I dumped the clutch in second gear. It took about 2/3 of the race for ground speed to catch up to tire speed, and then after one quick shift into 3rd gear the race was over. Choose your races carefully, and I would think you could beat a YFZ. Good luck.

OuterLimit

Old 12-13-2004, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider

A few months ago people were saying that you couldn't get much more out of the YFZ because its so built already. Personally, I never thought that was true. A friend of mine has a Raptor 690, very nicely built, and does really well up against anything. Well, he also just purchased a YFZ, and did some minor mods, and the YFZ kicks his own 690. Now he's looking at cams and a bunch of other things including the Dr D slip on. In my opinion, the YFZ is a tough one to beat, especially off the line - The ratio for horsepower increase to dollars spent will always be greater for the YFZ than the larger quads, including the DS.

Old 12-13-2004, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider

I dont have my lectron carb on anymore. so, I do not know how my YFZ would have done up against my ds. my ds has stock carb back on. jetted,moded endcap, K&N and scat trac extremes. my YFZ is basically set up the same. it beets my ds with my wife on the ds. and she is 80lbs less than me. so I will have to agree with ODP.

Old 12-13-2004, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

Well Im hoping that these new mods will help a bit, but Im..... well your the typical DS rider LARGE and in charge[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img](6'3" 270lbs.) and the guy on the yfz is'nt any bigger than a Sunday fart on Monday morning. As far as gearing and tires, 15t 22" haulers sand, 16t 20" razr 2's everywhere else.

I was also considering cams which do you guys recommend with my setup and dual springs? Im not to concerned with low end power, its mostly open desert out here. Oh yeah one more question, will the stock valve shims work with shim unders?

Old 12-13-2004, 11:34 AM
sam
Pro Rider

you may want to concider a 14t for those short drags. but with the mods your doing 14 might be to low. also if your having any prob whelling of the line soften the rear susp. this will absorb the load thats transferd to the rear. I beat one yfz in a 300' drag 3 ota 4 times my ds was slamed and set up for drags, but I dont think I could of beat him W/out the 14t front. he was right behind me all the way every time.

Old 12-13-2004, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Sam, I have a 14t front but it felt really low I was out of gears way to fast. I will have to measure the distance of our drag area my best guess is 400 ft. but Im no survey'r. I dont seem to have any problems with a light front end but will softening the suspension help in any other ways beside that.

Old 12-13-2004, 09:39 PM
Range Rover

I have raced my buddies TRX450r several times, and he has also raced a couple of Yammer 450's. He won both. Not by much, but when i race him, i put 6 bikes on him by my 3rd gear! I spank his bikes azz everytime, no matter who's riding it, or what surface we are on. And we've tried em' all. I have yet to pair up with a Yammer 450, but i'd bet i'd get it. Just from seeing em' run my bud's Honda. With my mods, tires, and 240lbs, she really romps outta' the hole. You need MudMachine's. I have yet to be beaten by a comparable quad. Yet. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-13-2004, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

Allred, Im not desputing what you have seen but, I have seen this guy run 3 or 4 different R's 2 with the Honda upgrade and it was no contest he smoked em uphill and on the flat no prob(flat drag 8 lengths, uphill about the same). They even switched 5 different riders on the honda.

Quick Reply: Whats it gonna take?(yfz problems)