CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Raptor.VS DS 650

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2000, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are very lucky that we have choices in the sport quad market, not long ago you could buy a new banshee or keep rebuilding outdated and worn out equipment and the future only looks brighter!So the next time you here someone talking crap about someone elses brand of quad remind him that not long ago this argument could not have even happend
Bearman

Old 09-12-2000, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider

Way to go guys, If you saw that many raptors any where It must have been Japan. I know you are happy that a DS will beat it in sand, But DS meaning DUNE SPORT dont you think you should wait and hear how a drag race on dirt or trails goes?
Also I pity the raptor owners who are out racing on engines with out proper break in time. Theres No sense in It. Im just glad you guys posted a New topic that didnt talk about something failing or how to Rig up a ron woods hand grenade kit. Its a pretty good guess that a raptor will toast you guys on a trail, but Its not your sandbox is it. Im just glad we people both have these quads to ride, So if you guys want to keep it that way you better think about the bigger issue, Voting. George W. Bush is the only way to save yourselves from ECO - ENVIRO Al Gore. they are neck and neck in their races and each one has his own area in which they are leading. But we can change this if you havent registered to vote go park that d@mn DS and do it. Time to register is running out. You people have to vote, If you dont think they can come and take the atvs away ask an Australian what happend to their guns. It would be a proud moment for Enviro Al to see all of us land destroying, air polluting yahoos, get one last smoggy moment when our quads hit the smelter. Theyll spend millions on a spotted Owl but your Quad means nothing to the Enviro *****.

Old 09-12-2000, 07:01 AM
Range Rover

Hi all,

Not tryin to start anything in here, but why dont you go read the "other than sand" posts in the Yamaha forum.

A Banshee "owner" with friend "banshee owners", just admitted that their bikes were Ported/piped/reeds/boostbottle , and the Raptor CRUISED by them at midrange, with both riders experienced racers. Who cares about the sand if your bike aint meant to ride there. Raptors werent made for the sand, they arent geared for the sand, and arent supposed to be in the sand.

Any of you guys want to say your DS (stock) can outrun ported/piped/reeds/boost-bottle Banshees on Flat dirt ??? The Raptor can

Old 09-12-2000, 08:54 AM
Trailblazer

I will say a stock DS will beat a Raptor on pavement in top speed and in quickness. Anyone in the NE Ohio area want to disagree we can go to the track and let the machines speak!

Old 09-12-2000, 10:12 AM
Range Rover

Well from what I have read the Raptor was meant to be an all around quad which does include riding in the sand. Right?

Old 09-12-2000, 05:09 PM
Range Rover

Then the Raptor is the only "All around" quad then when considering DS,Banshee, and Raptor.

DS = Sand
Banshee = drags
Raptor = All

The Raptor wasnt designed for the sand like the DS, but its still holdin its own on the dunes. Go enter a DS in a GNCC race or MX. Or, enter a Banshee in a GNCC race or Mx. Raptor can sand, MX, and GNCC with the best of em. They may not win in the sand - but guess what....I dont see any sand 'round here Matter of fact...80 percent of the riders on this planet probably have never laid foot on a sand dune.

My results from others ride reports.

Raptor will beat stock Banshees every time in drags.
Raptor will also beat slightly modded Banshees (has been reported already).
Raptor is a couple quad lengths behind the DS in the DS's environment. The DS is very fast..therefore, the Raptor is pretty darn fast in the sand...where it isnt supposed to shine. Im happy with that.

Even if the Raptor "is" only as fast as either the BAnshee or the DS....guess what.....Thats frickin FAST , and the weight,design,performance, handling etc etc etc CRUSHES the others. and it has reverse and elec.start. hehe.

Do the mag shootouts base the overall winner with Topend drag speed...hardly.

Old 09-12-2000, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

weibz
WHAT?! The raptor is a 660cc powerplant..the DS SHOULD BE THE ONE THAT IS HOLDING ITS OWN! the raptor is half the weight...say the ds is 25% heavyer then the raptor..that means the DS has to make 25% more horspower in order to keep up! THAT "RAPTOR" should be eating this ds650. I also read that in a drag race (on hard dirt bed) the ds and raptor are dead even in a drag race, until top end, then the ds pulls away. ANd you want to enter a ds in a Motocross race? I think anyone that owns one is game for that, didnt you ever read the shootout "modified 250r, vs. 600ex, vs. the MIGHTY ds650? The ds held its own, and they continuisly stated "and this the only stock mahcine in our shootout!". So i'll race you anywhere, but in the woods, and if the track in the woods is wide enough..i'll race you there to. And when you say "see the ds is to wide for trails"...we didnt buy the damn thing for the woods did we, and if we/or bombadier wanted it to be a woods machine, then theyh would have shortened up the aarms, and axle, and probably cut the seat height down a bit...BUT THATS NOT WHAT ITS MENT FOR! its like saying a 400ex cant drag race for crap..does it acutlly make sence? NO! man, just think before you say things

Old 09-12-2000, 05:49 PM
Trailblazer

300 I couldnt have said it better myself!

Old 09-12-2000, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider

Some kid in my school said you can get a Raptor in 4-wheel drive...LOL...I just laughed.

Old 09-12-2000, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

Do you people not realize there is a 7cc differnce in the ds and the raptor? Its not going to be a big difference in overall power, But the differences remain obvious in the chassis and gearing, and where they are ridden. Who cares about it, just admit the DS is a good bike for many of its owners (except poor scooby) and The raptor is good for many of its riders and where they ride. Just like you guys think you are the fastest thing in the dunes there are still banshees that are faster. I bought a raptor for certain reasons and there are many reasons that you cant lay claim to, Reverse For Example. Also Looks, COST for a 2001 model, technology, weight width, and lighting.