CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Raptor.VS DS 650

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2000, 03:50 PM
LDJ
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the Yamaha forum a guy with a Raptor raced a bombardier 650 and he got beat more than once. He also raced two stock Banshees and one with a pipe, the piped one beat everybody but the stock Banshees were all tied. I guess the DS is still the Fastest. I just wanted to inform you guys about that.

Old 09-10-2000, 04:09 PM
Range Rover

Yep. Saw 3 raptors this weekend. None would race me. Figured they were still breaking them in. NOT! Found out later that afternoon that is was because they had all been beaten by a DS eariler in the day.

Not to put the raptor down, it does look pretty cool though. If I wasn't a big guy, I probably would have bought a raptor. The DS just fits better.

Old 09-10-2000, 04:12 PM
Trailblazer

Im just glad there is honest Yamaha guys out there who will tell it like it is/was. I noticed some guys hoping we wouldnt read that post because they know all of the bs they have talked to us DS owners about being "to big and to heavy" to possibly beat a raptor and its gonna be payback time. I guess Dirt Wheels was right about saying the top speed was 72mph and with all the guys complaining about how it needs geared lower in the first 2 gears is only gonna lower the top speed even more.

QuickDS
15.17@78mph/stock and was 3 weeks old at the time.

Old 09-10-2000, 10:03 PM
Range Rover

I have 2 buddies in arizona one with a 00 ds and the other a 01 raptor, both bone stock. They raced several times in a dry long riverbed They were neck and neck then the ds pulled away by a couple quad lenghts. Thats a fact Jack.

Old 09-10-2000, 11:44 PM
Trailblazer

As I have said before...... I didn't buy the DS for racing but it sounds like it's holding it's own against the Raptors. That is gonna really p*** off some of the Raptor believers that couldn't wait to just smoke the DS's. I think it's pretty funny. It's gonna be interesting to see how many of them end up upside down when they take a corner too fast.

Old 09-11-2000, 11:30 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Hey guys...how do you think my stock '00 Banshee will run with the DS? Thanks!

Old 09-11-2000, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider

LUBA says it best and correctly,
Its a fact Jack, the Highly touted Raptor turns out to be another sad fact from Yamaha. It now joins the ranks of the Grizzly as claiming facts they cannot produce.
Spend your money foolishly
Yamaha loves ya,

Old 09-11-2000, 03:33 PM
Pro Rider

Hey now, stop bashing the Raptor. I went out and bought one this weekend to compare it to my DS650.

Boy was I impressed. It does like 800mph and turns on a dime! It climbs great too, since I climbed Mt. Rainier and jumped the bowl of Mt. St. Helens. I knew it could clear the distance of the bowl of Mt. St. Helens, since I had jumped the Snake Canyon earlier that day.

:-)

Laters,
CRT_Leech

Old 09-11-2000, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider

Its good to here HONEST observations! I visit these forums quite often, & sometimes it appears people will "fabricate" the "facts".

Unless proven otherwise it appears the DS is still the king of the sport bikes. I am sure the "unbiased" nature of the ATV magazines will view it differently!

Old 09-11-2000, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

I can't help but make a few comments on this thread:
1. QuickDS, I'm the ONE (not some guys) who said I hope the DS guys don't read this. (joking) You turned that into all of THEM talking BS about the DS.
2. I remember people saying that it isn't how fast your quad goes and that handling is more important... Raptor owners seem very happy with the handling.
3. The Raptor isn't dooing too well in the sand due to the high gearing. I think that performance will improve once people add the $10 12 tooth countersprocket...
4. No need to bash Yamaha. Just be glad that there are more choices in the high performance 4 stroke market. Looks like there are 2 great choices now instead of just one (DS).