CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Raptor.VS DS 650

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2000, 05:00 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lack of money. And last time I rode up at bull gap got spanked by two banshees. My RWR kit is not dialed in at all. I think it is slower than stock. Was really pissed when I lost wanted to set the DS on fire and bring back my quadzilla from the grave. Granted both banshees were built and had paddles and I had stock tires and ill running RWR kit up a sandy hill. I am keeping the ds and will get it running. May go with stage II and possibly III kits or an supercharger or EFI/Turbo kit. What's up with you Scooby? I just started surfing the web again not up on latest scoop. How's your ds? what's up with selling it? Where's the efi/turbo or supercharger? Get your Stage I running? Fill me in.

lubaczewski@juno.com

Old 09-13-2000, 05:04 PM
Range Rover

300exSTER ,

Sorry for sounding like I was bashing...I was not doing that. A heavier quad will hook up much better in the sand.Im also sure that the Raptors werent already sportin paddles either

Besides - You say the Raptor should be eating the DS. Dont worry, it will be. You guys have had about 2 years to figure yours out.

Right now, the Raptor owners are screamin fast, but can get much over 7000+ rpms (not unlike the DS) BUT , the Raptors REV limit IS set to 9000 .Sure, its not hitting it now, but it will. The DS "limit" is at 7200 orso "right"? So, before your mods can have much effect in the RPM zone...you have to mess with the Electronics for 300 bucks.

Aside from that... I agree..how many Duner DS's are stock ? Even a tire change or sprocket change isnt stock.

I bet the mags will shootout BONE stock machines soon, and Im guessing that over LONG drawn out drag races, the DS will have the edge all stock, but the Raptor is not gonna lose in a race to 70mph...i can almost promise.
(coast a wagon of rocks straight downhill for a mile, that would outrun the Raptor too as far as top speed, but whats that prove)

Aside from that once more... someone else above stated that the DS still remains the KING OF sport quads. ahhhh...to be King doesnt mean to be 1mph faster in a drag, and thats it. It has to perform all over ; jumping,handling,trails,water,mud,rocks,logs,whoop s,hills,low end grunt,ability to loft front end, draging straight line, MX'ing, and ability to control its weight. --- then also reliability, strength, design, and the beating it can take : all relative to cost.

The quad that comes in doing the most of these the best...is the KING. I dont know who the king is yet, but I know who isnt.

Old 09-13-2000, 05:19 PM
Range Rover

2001banshee,

Yes I read them good...and what your speaking of was in SAND..duh. Read the post "Raptor beat by Banshee" and read it all.

As far as the mag report...why didnt you mention the SECOND drag time number given...the LONGER race. mmmmmm, the RAptor was faster for that one...whats that mean ---- mmm. it means the Raptor made up like 30 feet of ground, and passed the Banshee. Imagine this in your head...your draggin, and you are in 6th gear, wide open (fast), ahead of the Raptor then the Raptor passes you and goes ahead, all within 3 seconds time.Thats what the mag said..if you can figure the times/speeds/acceleration with math like others already have done. Thats some good acceleration..dont ya think?

Im outta this topic...Im just repeating things everyone should already know. NOTE: consider who you get your info from, consider the poster, consider the truthfulness, consider the conditions, THEN judge for yourself. I already have.

Old 09-14-2000, 07:49 AM
Range Rover

I did judge for myself. My buddy has had his Raptor for about a week now so yesterday evening the verdict came in and guess what: Raptor loses in drag race! Don't start crying just yet weibz, my Banshee does have pipes but by the distance I was ahead at the end of the drag a stock Banshee could have taken the Raptor. We did the drag on pavement and it was about 500 yards. The Raptor does get the jump of the line but when the Banshee gets into the top end it's no contest. I never seen the Raptor again when I hit 6th gear. This was the result everytime and we raced probably 6 to 7 times. So I am through arguing with you weibz because I got the facts now and I know the Banshee is still the speed king, I know that is going to be hard for you to swallow but that's life. I would be more than happy to prove to you anytime anywhere because in a straight drag your Raptor doesn't stand a chance.

Old 09-14-2000, 09:18 AM
Trailblazer

I have just figured it out, weibz is right...if you add 50 pounds to a raptor it will beat a DS in the sand or anywhere for that matter because of course it wouldnt be heavier then. I can just imagine how much faster it will go on top end...at least 5 mph, 1mph per 10 pounds added, yeah that does make sense. I think I will go get a raptor now and strap 50 pounds to it and go get my a$$ed stomped by a DS...bye guys...wish me luck ill need it!!!!!! I might add 100 pounds just to make sure it will win.

Old 09-14-2000, 10:45 PM
Range Rover

2001Banshee,

Whatever

FYI: The Yamaha guys just figured out why the top end was being limited... air snorkel to the carb is restricted by 1/3 , to limit the RPM in top gear. Cut that out, pipe it like yourself, and its a whole new ballgame. Just give the Raptor owners a little time to figure out the gearing and airflow. They are brand new machines, never before ridden. Look how much research and learning the BAnshee guys have, to know "what" to do to make em fly. (13 years).

Ill admit...the Raptor has too tall 1 and 2nd gears. And Ill also admit that the New owners cant get the RPM's to hit the limiter in 4 and 5. Obviously, Yamaha limited the top speed on purpose with this air-obstruction. Im just glad its probably this no cost fix, that will let the Raptor breath and hit its RPM's . IF it does, which I think it will, there will be no chance that any other stock quad is going to out drag it. Let someone ride the thing and get used to it, then race. ( IF u in fact did race one, switch riders, and you ride the RAptor and let him ride your BAnshee - Im betting the results will be much closer - and remember , your Banshee is piped and we all dont know what else either...lol.

Old 09-15-2000, 02:21 PM
Range Rover

Weibs,

Regarding the 9000RPM rev limit that the raptor has claimed to have. I am not sure that that is a realistic expectation for an 84mm stroke engine to achieve. 4000 Feet/min is a limit for reliablility at all (pure dragsters violate this rule) and the formula for calculation piston velocity is as follows (special thanks to Rick @Macdizzy.com) Cm = .166 x (length of stroke in inches) x RPM's. For the Raptors 84mm stroke that is 3.307in setting up the equation to find the RPM where the Raptor reaches 4000 feet/min is 4000/(.166 x 3.307) = 7286RPM's which is what the raptor is turning wrung out in 5th wide open. Where did you read that it will turn 9000RPM's?? Is this hearsay or fact from Yamaha. 9000RPM's would be 4940 Feet/min VEERRY High for a HUGE 100mm bore ( 330R 2 strokes struggle to rev past 9000RPM with only a 72mm stroke). I think the Limit would be 7600 RPM or something similar to the DS. Maybe modified you would turn this (but not reliably anyway), but I doubt Yamaha would go this radical in stock trim. If I am wrong about the 9000RPM limit.... Sorry in advance.

CT250R

Old 09-15-2000, 05:22 PM
Range Rover

CT250R,

The Rev Limit on the Raptor is in fact set at 9000rpm , but it wont reach it. If mod's can boost the rpm's up, we can go clear to 9000 if possible, before being limited. Thats all I meant. It has been reported that it "wont" make it to 9000- the owners feel its potential top end feels like it should be much higher, but they cant get the RPM's up that high in 4 and 5th. ( they can actually feel the thing stop pulling, like something is restricting top end). Ill have to wait for my own to decide, but Im glad others are putting out the info ahead of time.

I seriously hope All 3: DS , BAnshee, and Raptor are so close in the top end that it doesnt matter ..then we all could be happy, and base our decisions on other features of the bikes.

Sometimes i let myself fall into the bickering and bashing wars - for this I apologize. I like them all - and they are ALL fast as h*ll.

Later.

Old 09-15-2000, 09:18 PM
Trailblazer

weibz,

If I'm not mistaken 'stock' would mean 'exactly' like it was built at the factory. Modifying the air intake would mean it isn't stock anymore. Anybody correct me if I am wrong.

Old 09-16-2000, 11:57 PM
Range Rover

no, you would be right about that, but it is hardly considered a Mod either.

If the 2000 DS650's had to abide by that rule..then none are stock. Recalls and replacements mean it didnt come that way...hence, not stock anymore....if your gonna be that picky, removal of airfilter cover...spark plugs, sprockets and tires. I dont think there are many if any DS's stock. Yet, they race a Raptor which is stock..for sure, and they say...DS wins...

Just wait for the mag reviews. Wont be very long now. Also gotta wait at least a little while for the owners of Raptors to figure them out, learn to ride them, and all that happy go lucky stuff.

Then race results will matter more...but as of now..they dont matter one bit.