CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Aftermarket CDI good for stock motor???

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 09:34 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket CDI good for stock motor???

Originally posted by: TheOz
It's ashame the Vortex costs $400. This is a simple piece of electronic equipment which should be able to be manufactured at a low cost. I would purchase one if it were in the 200 - 250 range. With three little girls at home, I just don't have the extra coin to spend. I was looking at a Procom but many forum members said they are crap. That's too bad, the cost of their simple (no settings, curves, etc.) CDI is a buck twenty five. After I installed my HMF pipe in August, I bump the rev-limiter in no time.
OZ,

Everybody has priorities. But I dont think I would classify the Vortex as a $200 CDI. Its got a lot of good engineering behind it and a lot of components. Not to mention 10 curves. Procom CDIs are the CDI for the masses. They do provide an increase in power and slightly raise the rev limit. But a few people on this board have burned them up. Procom has been pretty good about replacing them lately. I guess it depends on what you want and what you can afford - just like everything else in the world.

Old 12-24-2004, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider

It's ashame the Vortex costs $400. This is a simple piece of electronic equipment which should be able to be manufactured at a low cost. I would purchase one if it were in the 200 - 250 range. With three little girls at home, I just don't have the extra coin to spend. I was looking at a Procom but many forum members said they are crap. That's too bad, the cost of their simple (no settings, curves, etc.) CDI is a buck twenty five. After I installed my HMF pipe in August, I bump the rev-limiter in no time.
I agree ...ya wanna save dough...Get a Ron Woods cdi

Old 12-24-2004, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Dragorus
I agree ...ya wanna save dough...Get a Ron Woods cdi

It would save you about $100 over the Vortex. Thats probaby true with the Gradon and the Alba box too.

Old 12-24-2004, 01:22 PM
Range Rover

Stock motor,valves float at 8500-8700 rpm,cams run out about 7400 no point in going beyond this no HP up there!!! Just going to float valves and bend them!!! MSD is fully programable and puts out 4 times voltage as stock coils.Set the rev-limiter yourself,adjust your own curve.

Old 12-24-2004, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Dragorus
Originally posted by: OregonDunePatrol
Originally posted by: thebigshow
has anyone of u ran the rwr cdi before getting the vortex? if so,was it worth spending another 400$ ?
I have. I dont think you'll notice or feel a huge difference between the two main power curves when performing at RPMs between 6500 and 8900 rpm - thats not to say there wont be differences on a Dyno. However, the RWR has no rev limit; so if you want to go to higher RPMs, then the RWR is the one - but get ready to replace the valve springs - Shim-under-bucket springs would be the best choice here. Also, I did notice when running the Vortex that my DS idled and started nicer with a higher compression piston than when I ran with the RWR. In fact, I think there are problems with the RWR CDI and a piston as high as a 14:1. Also, the Vortex will provide better low end performance than the RWR CDI - because you can switch curves.
I agree...But are you saying if we use this cdi that are valves will bust up...?....What do we need to change on our stock bikes to prevent this??
well, if you rev above 8500-8900 rpm, you need something to keep the valves from floating. You can buy a tach and keep your eye on it, buy stiffer valves springs (I recommend shim-under-bucket), or buy a CDI with a limit that prevents you from going there. There are alot of choices, it just depends on what you want to do.

I ran stage II for years and I have been through two sets of shattered valve springs that were the good performance kind. They shattered because I used to race at revs higher than 9000 rpm. I didnt have a rev limit, and the motor would take me right up there in a hurry. If you go there, the springs will shatter after about a year in service. The valves will drop and collide with the piston. If you have the standard dual rate performance valve springs, and they shatter, the shims will fling out and be munched by the cams and may even drift down the cam chain cavity and into your tranny. Thats about $1500 worth of damage in about 3 seconds. If the springs shatter with shim under-bucket springs - the shims wont fly out. the worst you may suffer is a bent valve. The second time I shattered my springs I had shim under bucket - and I had no damage - the motor simply quit. All I had to do is get new springs. Since I've installed the vortex, I keep my revvs down and I have had no spring problems at all.

Some might say $400 for a CDI with a rev limit of 8900 RPM with a good performance curve is too expensive. Some dont.

Either you have to limit your revs or the CDI will have to. If you go above 9000 often, the springs will eventually shatter. If they do and you dont have shim under bucket springs, you may potentially replace the cam, the head cover, the cam chain, and several gears in the tranny, not to mention the springs.

Old 12-24-2004, 02:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Boomer tell them to get the RWR cdi, More work!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-24-2004, 03:08 PM
Range Rover

Marky, your shattered rings are from detenation, too much advance and wrong fuel!

Old 12-24-2004, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

Gary, springs not rings. Merry Christmas Gary!

Old 12-24-2004, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider

Vortex Rox My Christmas world!!!!

Old 12-29-2004, 12:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

JEFFROE do you have a ds with a 1300 busa motor?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket CDI good for stock motor???