CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

tearing wheeler apart saturday afternoon

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 01:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tearing wheeler apart saturday afternoon

she is coming apart ill take pics, pulling the motor doing a leakdown test compression test, painting the frame swingarm everything, ill post them in my webshots photo link

Old 12-25-2004, 03:54 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

fun, fun!!!

Old 12-26-2004, 03:52 AM
Pro Rider

well i just got back home took off the back subframe airbox and pulled the motor take a look in my webshots album under teardown, tomorrow i am gonna pull the head and jug and post pics and finish with the frame so i can get it powdercoated have a look later dudes

Old 12-27-2004, 02:03 AM
Pro Rider

ok i took off the head tonight looked really black like i was running rich but my idle screw was 4 turns out, the valves look ok i think, the piston looks ok, the jugg looks really good i think, no scoring or anything, it does look like there is a chip missing on the rim, look in my webshot pics in the motor teardown album and you will see them, it was really easy to tear down,some please take a look at my teardown pics and let me know what you think, the piston shirt has some very very very slight lines in the skirt you cant feel ithardly see it, take a look and give me your expert opinions,i would like to run 87 octane gas so i would like to stay with the stock piston, any suggestions thanks, dave

Old 12-27-2004, 02:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

That isn't a chip. It's a cut-out for those that put the piston on the connecting rod after putting it into the jug. I've usually put the piston on the rod then slide it into the jug.

Check your valve springs carefully. Good time to replace them. (Especially if you are running aftermarket cams.)

Old 12-27-2004, 02:33 AM
Pro Rider

i just checked my end gap with the top ring using the piston to push it down 16 mm into the cylinder with oil on it and the end gap measured 2 mm spec says 1mm so i guess my rings are worn and it says use a micrometer on the piston and measure 16 mm down from the bottom of the skirt perpandicular to the piston pin axis the wear limit is 99.94mm and mine is 99.93mm but i used a digital caliper not a micrometer i am gonna have my skidoo guy look at it in the morning and get the skinny, this is all very interesting, maybe if i need a new piston i should get a higher compression one? but i like running 87 octane mr hp says it advances the timing,any and all suggestions welcome i am a green horn when it comes to this 4 stroke stuff thanks fellas

Old 12-27-2004, 02:39 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: jackass650
she is coming apart ill take pics, pulling the motor doing a leakdown test compression test, painting the frame swingarm everything, ill post them in my webshots photo link
Wow! That is what you call "ridin hard and put away wet!!!"

Old 12-27-2004, 02:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

1. Check your piston for contact with valve(s)
2. Put gas in your exhaust of the head and check to see if it comes out your exhaust valves
3. Put gas in your air inlet of the head and check to see if it comes out of you intake valves
4. Check your head gasket for worm looking trails where it may have been leaking???
5. Buy a high-compression piston and replace the stock one [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] (seems a shame to put that stock piston back in [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

May want to go with stiffer head studs and bolts?

I'm not too worried about the scoring on the piston skirt - pretty normal to see it.

Is there still hone marks on the cylinder? Should be, that nikasil is real tough.

How do the piston rings look? Is there any exhaust residue past the first ring on the side of the piston?

Old 12-27-2004, 03:03 AM
Pro Rider

1, there is no marks on my the top of my piston indicating hitting the valves
4,there is no marks like the head gasket was leaking, it never used antifreeze never oil in the antifreeze or anything
i will check the valves in the morning, no ther is no exhaust residue past the first ring, yes there is still hone marks on the cylinder walls no scoring scratches or anything it still looks brand new actually, i am pulling it down cause i did a compression test with the decompression lever deactivated and got 185 psi so i figured i would tear it down powdercoat the frame and go through the motor, winter project i live in minnesota,the rind end gap was 2mm and the book says the wear limit is 1mm, when it got down to 20 degrees at night it would start right away in the morning no problems i just wanna be ready next summer, if i get a higher compression piston can i still run 87 octane? i plan on getting a mrhp ported intake and mrhp endcap and that about it,15 tooth sprocket and 22 inch rears,maybe iwill tear it down everywinter and check myrings etc? ill check my valves in the morning dune me, you guys are awesome on this site i have learned so much, who needs a skidoo dealer lol jk

Old 12-27-2004, 03:06 AM
Pro Rider

hey dune me why is my pston and valves so black, cause i had my idle mixture screwset at 4 turns out? it was cold here the last few times i have road, it had never puffed blue smoke black smoke or anything always been a good runner im just kind **** about having my motors in tip top shape and im not a hp nut you know getting 18.1 pistons nitrous turboes etc, im more a stock guy thanks for your input

Quick Reply: tearing wheeler apart saturday afternoon