CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

All my oil in the motor only

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All my oil in the motor only

What would cause ALL my oil to be in the motor. There was a little in the Supply line from the tank and none in the tank. There was also a little in the return line when I blew through it to make sure it was clear. I had nothing blocking the screen in the oil tank or the screen in the center cases. The return oil pump was fine everything within or better then spec. No major scratches between the inner and outer oil pump rotor. On the pressure side (supply from the tank) there were no scratches between the inner and outer pump rotor. But there was extensive scratches between the outer rotor and center case. I would have thought the problem would have been with the return pump since that is the one that sends the oil back to the oil tank. But it was almost perfect. Since the area between the outer rotor and the center case doesn't do anything excempt give the outer rotor space to spin. And it's the one that takes the oil from the tank how could that pump be my problem. Also I never had my oil light come on. And it does work. Any I deas????

Old 01-08-2005, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

When you drained the oil, how much did ya get back? maybe you were a little bit lot low, and there was no need for oil to be in the supply tank....all the oil you had was needed in the motor?

Old 01-08-2005, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks...but 4 went in and 4 came out. Just it all came from the motor. Usually I get maybe a quart at the most from the motor and the other 3 from the tank.

Old 01-08-2005, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

Here is the whole story since it's prolly all connected. Over New years I was breaking in my 730. It's a reworked sleeved 730. any how at the same time I also just installed a new tranny with back cut gears.
On my first run up olds just at the top the motor died. I refired it, it started after a couple tries. It belched out some blue smoke and sounded like a cannondale[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] By the time i got to the bottom of the hill it sounded fine. And quit smoking. When I got back to camp I let it cool down. When I refired her she smoked again and sounded like a cannondale. I decided since it was wednesday and I was gonna be there till Sunday I would run her till she died. Never did die and it eventually stopped smokeing even on start up after cooling down. I even had tons of power. I prolly picked up 6 bike lengths over the stage 3. I checked the oil level every day that I was there and it was fine. Needless to say my piston is toast and my sleeve does have some scratches in it. The only reason I even noticed the oil situation was when I went to tear it down to see what damage was done to the top end. The top end looked to be damaged from aluminum material between the cylinder wall and the piston skirt?? Also prolly what damaged the supply oil pump. Aparently I didn't get all the crap out of the engine before I reasembled it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]Now that I have it all apart again I still see no foreign material in the cases[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]
So there ya go...why is all the oil in the motor and none in the oil tank?

Old 01-09-2005, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

I have no aswer, sorry. Do you have pressure (seal) to pump oil to the top end with the new build? There has to be something missing (Thought"s). How does the sleave look? Do you think it started top to bottom or bottom to top? It's not like you to miss anything. You always have everything covered. Oil pump or something else? I don't think that it's your new back cut tranny.

Old 01-09-2005, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider

eagle if it makes you feel better the same thing happened to me when i took out my motor for frame powdercoat. i started disconnecting hoses and what not and when it came time to pull the motor and then the oil tank( i pinched off the oil tank line with vice grips) i did not have as much oil in there as usual. my motor was full of it. less than a quart in the tank and a little over three came out of the motor. i thought is was weird too . bike runs fine and no oil leaks so i did not worry about it. its not burning oil either so like i said i just ride.

Old 01-09-2005, 03:43 PM
Pro Rider

BOMBSAINT
Do you have the proper oil level in the tank now or is it still all staying in the motor? If it is then you could be in for trouble also.

I have new center cases coming with new oil pumps. It has to be the oil pumps. I mean there isn't much to these motors. I just hope i can still use my cylinder. It mics out at 105.52mm and i still need to hone it. That may be to big for 105.5 piston. It seems like my last one was around 104.98 or something like that. I can't remember. I'll call Eric tomorrow and ask him what they Mic out to.

Old 01-09-2005, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider

eagle my level in thye tank is fine now. i agree there is not much to the motor . perameters and numbers are the most complex part about it. trust me if the problem persisted i would not still be riding til i figured it out. i think that once you start disconnecting hoses and stuff the pressure and vaccume changes cause a oil flow to the motor.

Old 01-10-2005, 04:21 AM
Pro Rider

it allmost has to be the pump. there is one thing that I want to mention. I was trouble shooting a power steering problem. no pressure to the steering gear. atatched a flow gauge to the pump. had good flow and good pressure. after hours of troublshooting. finally found that the line between the pump and gear had started to break down internally. it had sort of a flap that would plug the line under pressure. but looked fine. and you could blow air through it. as soon as the fluid was pumped through it would close. probably a remote possibility. but a possibility none the less.